Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 9: Tess of the Kirchen Bell and the Grocers shop

We'll check out the street today.

Just an empty place for now.

I wonder what the owner is like.

Rude. I'll have you know, blowing up stuff is an excellent way to get the super awesome things.

The best time to visit this shop if you want quality is early morning. Not all of her stuff gets influenced though.

For example...

These things don't decrease in quality, no matter when you come.

She even sells better versions of them.

The flour and oil are rumor only gatherables. At least the oil is. Personally, I've never gathered any of them because I can just buy them from her.

She even sells these. They're harder to get. Easier if you have more dots, but otherwise pretty rare. And they can also be used as metal. But we'll see that later.

And magic grass.

Limited stuff never decreases in quality, no matter when you visit her shop. Limited stuff just doesn't change and has some rare traits, which is their biggest draw. It's up to you to decide if they're worth the money or not, but right now, none of them are worth it. They might become worth it later, but that depends on our circumstances. Let's see the rest of it.

Some of these traits are nice, but we can't really make use of them yet.

Now let's look at the important part.

The things to keep in mind are quality, stock, and price.

So not only does the quality decrease, so does her stock and price.

Limited stuff doesn't change. Video game logic? I mean, stuff can stay in your container forever and not decay.

Anyway, let's go see Mr. Horst.

Hello, Mr. Horst.

Tess, it's good to see you too. I haven't seen you around in a while, what were you doing?

I had some things going on at home. But I'll be working again starting today! I look forward to seeing you!

Ah, yeah, I look forward to it too!

Yes, that's right. Thanks to Tess' return, the shop has become much more lively.

Hehehe... Just leave it to me, Meister. I'll boost this shop's sales like crazy!

Very admirable words. I'll be expecting great things.

Yeah!

Yup. Since you're here, Sophie, you should order something and relax.

Okay, I'll do that.

Tess actually has a shop too... but we'll see that later. She's only here on weekends.

The game says the place is busy, but the only person here is this guy.

If you check the piano, you get this cutscene.

Ah, are you interested in the piano, Sophie?

Ehehe... Not in particular, but... I don't think I've ever seen anyone play this piano...

Oh, really? On some nights, musicians will visit to play the piano and sing.

Huh, I want to see that...

You're more than welcome if you have the chance. It's quite splendid. I know. Would you like playing it?

Wait, me...?

Yes. If nobody is playing it, you're welcome to practice as you see fit.

But I don't know if I can play it...

Okay, I honestly didn't know this was a thing. I found out about it after I beat the final boss, then checked out the bgm in the extras section, and there was one for this thing. ...which means, I have no idea where this leads. But hey, we'll just practice on the piano once a day, if I remember to, that is.

Before you fast travel, the game calculates how much time it would take for you to travel normally to that location, and changes the time appropriately. So if we fast travel to the Atelier, it will be evening.

Next time we'll do some synthesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 10: Alchemy

Today, we're going to synthesize.

We can do Plachta's memory by turning in requests, but I'll save it for later.

There's not a whole lot of stuff we can make. We don't even have the ingredients for Berg Medicine.

Everything is ??? because we haven't made it yet. Well, time to start.

I picked the Uni we gathered from that rumor. As you can see, they give us 18 category points instead of 15. Plus, they have two extra squares in the size section, making them give us more percentage values.

Speaking of size, look at this Kaen Stone. It gives us 5 points, and has 3 squares.

This one is smaller by one square, and gives us 4 points.

Now there isn't a big difference between 4 points and 5 points, but just remember, 49/50 and 50/50 give you completely different effects. Don't underestimate the power of a single point.

This is what I picked to start my synthesis.

Except partway through the synthesis I decided this thing was a better fit. I'll explain. You can redo the steps in synthesis any times you want. So most of the time I decide thinking 'this is the best fit' only for it to not be the best, and then I change it partway. You can change the materials with the shoulder buttons. It's either L or R, I forget. You can also cancel out of the synthesis completely. There is an exception, but we'll get to it when we unlock it.

So anyway.

I put the crystal shard in the top corner. There are two reasons for this - first of all, I want it to go first. I have a lot of big materials (like the Uni) and they can't all fit in this 4x4 panel. So overlap will occur. Putting it there also means that it won't take any pre-existing bonuses and it will amplify those bonuses. I mean, get real, no matter what I do, there is no way I can make 30 points of something out of what I have.

So the actual reason I took the two square stone instead of the three square stuff was because there already was a bonus in the panel right below where I placed the kaen stone, and I wanted the Uni to get it.

Anyway, as you can see the Crystal shard is gonna go. It really doesn't matter. Yellow bonuses for the uni are the only thing important right now.

So we got up to 70/100, using bonuses. We started with 36/100, you know. And due to the Uni size, we got a 62% bonus.

Which got us physical damage L. :dance:

By the way, I actually attempted this synthesis, and I got 90-something/100 because the bonuses weren't enough, which is why I changed it to the two square stone.

We even leveled up our alchemy.

Uni bag gets colored in our recipe book.

You can always name it Uni Bomb to make it more threatening sounding. In the end, we're just chucking a bag full of uni at the enemy.

Let's make the Sotea.

A lot of choices this time.

Yes, eggs are fuel.

Anyway, I selected the well water, eggs, and the rumor Uni for this one.

Actually I was hoping to make it to MP recovery S.

So I put the water here.

The surrounding panels filled with bonuses.

43/50 is still not 50/50. Well, I don't care because we can just turn it in the requests. At least it's not cold tea.

Wake up cup means it's more effective in the morning.

It's Sophie's So-tea. I kept calling it 'Sotia' for the longest time, even after reading the encyclopedia. I think later on I saw a quest description that made me realize Sophie named the tea after herself. This is a source of MP recovery, so it's useful? Maybe? I mean, I'm usually pretty stingy with my MP. But hey, some MP recovery is better than none.

I decided to make another Uni Bag.

I want to get the gunpowder effect this time, so...

I'll just have to make sure that the red and yellow have equal percentage values.

Sadly, the bottom line didn't make the cut. But this is good.

I also made another Uni Bag.

The category values weren't anything special but the bonuses and percentage made it pretty decent.

Anyway, that's enough Uni Bags for now. I think I'll cut it off here. We made our two recipes, and in the next update we'll make the third one.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 11: Simple Sweets

The third recipe will be unlocked if we get Ramel Wheat. Now we can just gather it, but I decided to go buy it instead.

To the street shops!

As you can see, early in the morning, this stuff is really good quality.

I'm buying some Ramel Wheat. We only need one... but eh, can't hurt can it. We'll really poor, but we can still afford some.

Success! We can't make Berg Medicine, but simple sweets also count as a healing item.

Simple Sweets actually don't use any ramel wheat to make. They need Uni instead. Another thing that you need to watch out for is that Uni were also needed for a request. 10 of them. It's just something to watch out for. Uni aren't rare or anything, you can always gather more in the Chick Woods.

I don't want too many super large Uni.

We're just gonna use this disgusting water to make our food. Nothing can go wrong.

I use the rumor Uni, because it's large and it'll give more yellow percentage. And yes, I know I'm using up our quest Uni. I don't really care, because like I said, you can always gather more at the Chick Woods. Uni aren't rare at all.

I placed the water there. Now the water is the part that determines the healing. Eat and Recover XS is basically the healing part of the sweets. But I don't really have any way to make it better, yet. So we'll just use it to make the other stuff better.

The spiky Uni makes really delicious Sweets.

But it somehow becomes flat instead of say, spiky. That's alchemy, I guess.

The percentage values improved the yellow bar components.

I didn't screenshot it, but in the encyclopedia, under 'effect', you can check what the effects do. You can also do it by pressing select on the item.

Digests quickly means it doesn't give you any effect. ...to explain, 'a little filling' delays your turn, and gives you LP. Digests quickly doesn't do anything.

And 'sweet' restores HP and LP.

Eat and Recover XS restores HP and LP, and the higher your maximum HP, the better it is. Basically, Oskar will get more healing from this than say, Sophie. But it's not a big difference.

But we always use Uni. And we used not so clean water to make this batch. ...well, I'm sure alchemy purified it or something.

I just realized I never really showed off the awesomeness of torn up paper.

:toot:

We should work on this. Let's go turn in some requests. But before that, I equipped the Simple Sweets on Monika.

I stopped by to buy this, to make more Simple Sweets. I'll show you why when we make it, but as you can see, Bursting Berries gives us blue category points. Just like well water.

Delicate annoying berries. I'm sure all berries turn to pulp with a little too much force. These ones blow in your face.

Let's do some quests, shall we?

You get the option to select what to turn in.

You'll also be told how much cole you received. You might get more if your item is good.

But for monster quests, you'll get the reward listed. The game updates your listed reward the more you hunt, so you'll know exactly how much you're going to get. It's useful for knowing when you've capped out, or if the payoff is worth it or not.

This is Mr. Horst's average line.

I'm not turning in the Uni yet. This is because most of my Uni left are the ones I gathered from the rumor. They're useful, they have both size and a trait, plus I paid 300 cole for them. Uni are cheap, so really, I'll just gather more. Instead, let's look at this new request. If you press square...

You'll see a different thing. This is called a group request.

It asks for a bunch of different things. It might even ask you to gather stuff and defeat monsters and synthesize something, all in one bundle.

This one doesn't have a complete bonus, but some of them do.

The other thing to know is, to actually turn in a group request, you only need to complete one of them. You don't need to do all of them. We'll get 183 cole if we do them all (or maybe more), but if we only turn in the Uni, we'll get 39 cole. If we turn in the uni + sunset grass, we'll get 39 + 60 = 99 cole. If we only turn in sunset grass we'll get 60.

We're not turning them in yet. Group requests are actually really useful, but not because of the complete bonus. It's because they give us vouchers. I'll talk more about them when I get them, but for now, I'll just accept this. We can easily get more red uni at night in the Chick Woods.

Let's see some rumors.

You can see downpour of Uni is back. We won't be accepting it this time, but just to show you rumors are repeatable.

Now I already know this stuff, but you should clear these cheap ones out anyway, because then the game will start showing you the rumors like Downpour of Uni and stuff. So I brought them all. It was nothing special. More importantly...

Before we go back, I buy some Uni from Mrs. Marguerite.

Her entire stock, all 10 of them, in fact.

I turn in some of our simple uni, a rumor uni, and 8 of the uni we bought.

It's still a profit, you know.

Anyway. Next time. We'll be seeing Plachta's memory scene.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
appreciating the lp. Wish they'd make phone Atelier games..

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

atrus50 posted:

appreciating the lp. Wish they'd make phone Atelier games..

Funny thing, they announced one yesterday, though don't think localization has been promised (or is guaranteed).

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 12: Plachta's Memories 1

Oh, I accidentally missed the screenshot of Sophie writing the recipe into Plachta. Oh well.

Yes, please do so.

...So? Do you remember anything?

...! Yes, I just remembered something.

Mission successful!

...maybe? What's an Aule Cow anyway?

I see, I see... Wait? That's it?

Yes.

But it's still progress? Right? No?

Something amazing? Oh, there is one thing.

Oh, really!? What is it!?

I am a reference book made not for reading, but for recording. In other words, my purpose is to have knowledge written into me.

What's the difference? Don't you record stuff so people can read it later. Also you're blank.

Um... I don't really get it. Are you saying your proper use is to keep writing recipes into you?

Time for your debut as a writer Sophie.

It seems so.

Well, it seems like writing in you really did bring back your memories... So I guess this is the right way.

Let's do this.

Our next goal. And a very important one... for game play reasons, not story.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 13: Pamela Event 1 and more simple sweets

Unlocking Plachta's memories and advancing the story unlocks a lot of events. So to start with, we'll see Pamela's events. You don't actually need to donate any money to Pamela's shop for this event to trigger. I haven't bought anything from her. Yet.

Before talking to them and triggering the event you can see this.

You can miss this stuff, since you have to be at the right location at the right time, and your camera needs to be right too.

Ah, Sophie. Welcome.

Pamela turns to the kids.

Everyone, I'm sorry, but could you play over there for a little while?

They all look really lively.

That's great... It might be fun if I could play with them too.

You would be welcome anytime, Sophie. You can play with them as much as you want.

Really!? Yay! But... It really does seem troublesome. You have to take care of all those kids alone...

It's not troublesome at all. This is a nursery, it's only natural. Also... They're all well behaved, and they even help me sometimes.

Wow, they're all good kids... And it's like you're their mom.

You're making me blush.

Hm? Oh dear! Those kids are all trying to run out of the plaza.

I knew it! That's what it looked like!

Yes, well, they're kids. Of course they are.

Heeey! Don't run off too far! I'm sorry, Sophie. I'll see you again.

True words. I'm sure that's what every parent says everywhere.

Back at the Atelier... we can't make any bombs yet because we need Kaen Stones.

Our next recipe hint will come from the book store. Elise's shop.

As for our next memory fragment, we need to either do some requests, or beat a monster. The farm monster is found in a place called the Merbert Farm, at night. Only one monster shows up at night. It's not a boss monster, so if you beat it and gather materials, it'll show up again. It's also a huge step up from puni so don't take it lightly. Well, you don't need to beat it. You can just do requests.

We don't have enough materials to make a bomb. We can't make neutralizers yet either. The alchemy level isn't actually a problem. You can synthesize an item if your alchemy level is low. It's quality will take a hit. Also, if by any chance your quality hits zero, you will fail the synthesis. Instead of your item, you'll get failure ash. There are ways around this, but we haven't unlocked them yet, so I'm not gonna explain them yet. So just two things for now: crafting recipes higher than your alchemy level will decrease the quality, and if quality hits zero, you'll fail the synthesis.

Enough about that. Let's make some more simple sweets. The biggest difference here is that I used bursting berries for the plant category, which are blue in color.

So you can see, both the eat and recover xs and the bitter section is blue.

We don't care what happens to the yellow part, so we're just using them to make our bonuses bigger. Also, the yellow section has 7 squares and the blue only has 6. I want blue to have the majority, so I need one yellow to disappear from the panel.

The water is our main thing here.

...like I said, 49/50 is 49/50. It doesn't matter. We got Eat and Recover S, even if our sweets are salty. Better than bitter sweets? But dark chocolate exists.

Anyway, that's all for this time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I'm happy people are enjoying this.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 14: More Inspiration and a strange pair 1

It's night time right now and nothing is open. I could go exploring, but no.

It's not morning yet, but that's fine. I gathered some well water.

It's night right now, but if we fast travel to Old Town:

It will be morning, and the book store will be open. So let's go.

This is the spot you need to examine to learn the recipe for Zettel.

Around the middle of the left wall / bookshelf of the room. A '?'or an '!' I forget which, shows up too, so it's pretty easy to spot. Anyway, back to the Atelier.

...for an event.

Sophie, I told you before, but I wouldn't be of any use in combat.

Eh, up your game. Even books can throw out spells and stuff. And if all else fails, you can just whack them. :v:

That's not why I'm asking... I want you to tell me which materials are good and which ones are bad, stuff like that.

I see, I understand. In that case, I'll accompany you.

Yay! Then let's get going!

Now that you mention it, yes it is. It's quite refreshing.

It's fun walking around with you, Plachta. Well, you're flying, not walking...

As you can tell by their outfits, they are important characters. More important than random npcs at least.

Yes. A question for you. What exactly is that flying book?

Huh!? U-um...

Sophie has zero problems with telling her friends about Plachta, but apparently strange kids are a no go.

Um, well you see. I'm an alchemist. I made this book myself. I figured it would be funny if a book flew around. Y-you know, weird things are amusing, right?

Don't lie to them Sophie. What if they ask you to make another flying talking book?

Also, there is no name displayed, so you can't tell who is saying what if you don't listen to the voice acting. In this case, the girl is speaking.

Hm... So you're an alchemist. What a coincidence.

Huh...? What's the coincidence?

We're actually researching alchemy.

Wait, really? You're still so young... That's really amazing.

I'm just gonna add something here. I've played up until now the Arland trilogy, the dusk trilogy and now Atelier Sophie and Firis, and the 'you need talent for alchemy' argument changes in every world. For example, in the Arland trilogy, alchemy is something like science; anyone can do it if they learned it, but as in real life, some people are just better at it than others. Some people have the talent, some don't, but everyone can do it if they study it.

In the Dusk series (Atelier Ayesha, Escha and Logy and Shallie), alchemy has expanded a lot. But to do traditional alchemy, like the kind Sophie does (in a cauldron) you need talent. Logy in the second game of that series is an alchemist but he can't use the cauldron at all. I think it's mostly because Escha is a terrible teacher because she's doing it entirely on instinct.

And in this game... well, we'll see its stance soon enough. As of now, we know that these two kids can't do alchemy, because they don't have 'natural talent' for it, or something.

Yeah, but it's still pretty fun to research things, even if you can't do it yourself. Anyway, Miss Alchemist. Can we ask your name?

Sure. I'm Sophie. Who are you?

I'm Meklet.

I'm Atomina.

As we said before, we're researching alchemy. We may come to you to ask things about it.

We'll see you then, Sophie.

Oh, sure. Come ask me anytime.

We should get going, Atomina.

Yes. See you later, Sophie.

Oh well. Sorry for making you wait, Plachta. Let's go gathering now.

...I'm going home.

Huh?

This "weird" flying book is going back to the atelier. Go gathering by yourself. Bye.

...er.... oh well. Plachta's mad at us now. Oops.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Also, there is no name displayed, so you can't tell who is saying what if you don't listen to the voice acting. In this case, the girl is speaking.

Because of how :japan: their designs are, which one is the girl?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

Because of how :japan: their designs are, which one is the girl?

The girl is Atomina.

The one on the right. The one with the hood and two braids.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 15: Events and more Events: Mrs. Marguerite and Pamela

The Zettel is extremely useful, for various reasons. For starters, it can be used as fuel. Fuel is used for making weapon materials, so the zettel will be really useful there. The second reason is the ingredient list, and I'll talk about that more when we look at it. Right now let's look at our recipe list again.

We'll learn this recipe if we investigate the wheat field in Merbert Farm, where the monster we need to kill for Plachta's memories also lives. Well, we don't need to kill it. We can just do requests, and it's honestly easier.

And this one we'll learn once we gather Red Uni. Basically, you gather at the chick woods at night and you will find red uni. This is also an extremely basic and useful recipe.

...this is a thing. I mean, it's a tradition for the protagonist to say barrel when you see a barrel. Or greet it. Or whatever your interpretation of this is, the screenshot is there for you to see.

Let's move on. We have events to see. Every time we unlock a memory, a whole bunch of events become available. So get ready to see a lot of events in the next few updates.

We stop by the church and someone else is here today.

Yes. I need to open my store in the morning. That's why I come here so early.

It must be hard work running a store...

That's because the people in town rely on me so much. I'm thankful for that.

Sophie here is the president of your store's fan club. Along with Oskar, your son.

Ahaha, thank you. Oh, I should get back soon. I'll see you again, Sophie.

Okay. Mrs. Marguerite works really hard. I need to work harder at my alchemy.

After that we move along to talk with Pamela. Again, I haven't bought anything from Pamela yet. Or donated, if you want to be specific.

Why if it isn't Sophie. Welcome. Wait just a minute. I'm almost done.

Oh, okay.

Sorry for the wait. What do you need today?

I was wondering if you had anything good, so I dropped by. Are you busy?

Well, I have to take care of the children, and also finish some church work.

Now that you mention it... You're doing a lot of work by yourself, Pamela.

But the children help me, so it isn't that bad.

Um, around when do you wake up every morning?

Sophie is shocked. Which is kinda strange, because she just woke up at 3 am the other day.

I got used to it really fast. Oh right, you said you wanted something, I'll get everything ready.

I will never get used to waking up early, even though I wake up early every day, you know, because I have to. Leaving the bed is a chore. It's cold, the bed is warm, sleep is calling... Well, I'm awake as soon as I've left the bed, but the leaving is the hardest part and the one part I will never get used to.

Don't worry, we'll be working very hard. With sythesis. You will lose all sense of time. Especially since this game doesn't have a time limit.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Also, I hope you guys aren't tired of seeing events, because we're still aboard the train to eventville.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 16: A familiar face

The piano.

Sophie practices it. For whatever reason.

Okay, let's look at Mr. Horst's rumor list. The downpour of uni is back, we don't take it. We do grab all the cheap ones though. Pamela's church is about her shop. She has stuff we can't find elsewhere... and that is mostly true. I think.

Hints for insight gives us another random hint, but we have our recipe book.

About Tess is again, about her shop, in which we use our coupons. The weekends rumor explains how they are days off, and you might have events on those days, and the requests rumor explains that Mr. Horst will pay more if you do better at requests, but of course, there is an upper limit to how much he can pay you.

As we leave the cafe...

Well... look who showed up.

Hm? Ah, if it isn't Sophie.

Meet Logy. Now Logy was a main character in Atelier Escha and Logy, but that Logy and this Logy are different. So it's the same face, name and voice, but a different backstory and character. Kinda like Pamela. Logy is a really important npc. He's our equipment maker, and our gateway to making our allies super powerful. ...er, but we still need the materials, of course. Well, we'll see to all of that when the time comes.

Wow, it's been a long time, Logy! Where did you go? I haven't seen you at all for a while...

I was traveling for training.

He was learning how to make our equipment, of course.

Well... All kinds of stuff. I learned new methods adn techniques, and searched for minerals. What were you doing, Sophie?

Yeah, being a 'kind of' alchemist is bad for business.

I come here pretty often to look for materials.

Alchemy, huh...? Well, it's good that you're hard at work.

Ehehe, thank you.

Oh, I should get going soon. I need to make preparations to open my shop. See you again.

Okay, see you again, Logy!

A very important shop.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 17: The Very Amazing Cauldron

Okay, let's go.

We're unlocking new locations. This is the Blessed Forest.

And the Rocky mountain.

And last but not least, Merbert Farm.

As you can see, unlocking Plachta's memories unlocks new places for us to explore, because she remembers new gathering fields and tells us about them.

Merbert Farm holds the key to some new recipes, but we won't be going there or anywhere new today. Instead, we're gonna go to the Chick Woods to gather Red Uni. I want to learn the recipe for Neutralizer R. It's useful and we need it to make paper and bombs, so let's get to work.

It's daytime, and red uni can only be gathered at night. I just gathered stuffs till night time happened.

Night finally happened.

I think you find red uni near trees. ...well, you can still gather the daytime stuff. Nothing here is daytime exclusive other than puni.

Finally found some. Success! Oh, but I should just add... you don't actually need red uni to make neutralizer. ...yes, I know the game made us gather it. But the recipe doesn't use it or anything.

Okay, let's get out of here.

We'll be exploring this place next. There is stuff here that we'll need for sythesis because even if we've unlocked stuff we really don't have materials, like gunpowder. We will be going to Merbert farm when I'm ready to advance the plot, but before that, which place do you want to explore first, the Blessed Forest or the Rocky Mountain?

Our haul from this trip. It's 3 a.m so the game fast forwards us to day time.

Into an event.

We've come for a visit.

Oh, both of you, perfect timing! I actually have something amazing to tell you!

Something amazing? Like what?

Heh heh heh... I'm sure you'll be surprised.

Okay, okay. You see, there's a story about this really amazing cauldron...

An amazing cauldon? ...What kind of cauldron?

Well you see, it's called the "Cauldron of Knowledge". If you obtain it, it lets you use really amazing alchemy!

Huh, amazing alchemy? Like what?

Um... I don't know.

Oh... So where is this "Cauldron of Knowledge" anyway?

Pictured: Not thinking through our get-great-quick-at-alchemy plan.

Sounds like you don't know anything about it. Who'd you hear this story from?

From Plachta... But it seems like she's forgotten all the details...

Then it doesn't sound like something to worry about... You don't even know if it really exists.

Yeah. I really want to find it, but...

I suppose so. If there is anything I can help with, just tell me. I'll do what I can.

Me too! ...In exchange though, if you find it, I want to use it a little.

That's fine! Thanks, you two!

I'll be going now.

I should leave too. See you later, Sophie!

Yeah, see you later!

But we don't know where it is, what it is, how it works, or if it even exists.

Well, there are worse plans we could make, I guess.

Neutralizers are like the building blocks of alchemy. A lot of basic recipes use them, and then that basic stuff is used to make advanced stuff. Well, I can talk about them all I want and you won't understand till we unlock traits and do some synthesis.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Blessed Forest seems like a good area to head to next. I like Sophie wants the cauldron to be better, not as a short-cut.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
(looks out window at jagged, glacier-cut ridgelines and then looks wistfully at the still bare ski runs)

I dunno why, but I'm thinking we should check out the Rocky Mountain.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A nice forest sounds better than some dingy mountain.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Rocky mountain, maybe you'll find oysters

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I wanna Rock y mountain

Also the random German is pretty amusing, though I already noticed one error in the game.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I wanna Rock y mountain

Also the random German is pretty amusing, though I already noticed one error in the game.

Random german? Like what?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Thanks to this LP I got the game!

It's a good game, and this is a good LP

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Random german? Like what?
Name of town, being Kirchen or church. Weiss powder being white powder and other stuff

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's always been some psuedo-german and psuedo-french in the Atelier series.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Name of town, being Kirchen or church. Weiss powder being white powder and other stuff

Ah, okay.

Gloomy Rube posted:

Thanks to this LP I got the game!

It's a good game, and this is a good LP

Thank you. I hope you enjoy the game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, if you wanna I can note them down in the next update

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Yeah, if you wanna I can note them down in the next update

It's fine by me.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 18: The Blacksmith

We begin today by gathering water. Because why not.

Over at the street there is another event.

Logy.

That's my line. Why are you in a place like this, Logy?

This is my shop, starting today. I'm making preparations now.

It's obviously a weapon shop? I mean, there are weapons everywhere.

It is a very, very important shop for us.

That's true, but... I didn't know that at all.

Probably because we were busy with other people and stuff, but don't worry Logy. By the end of this game, we will very firmly establish you are an excellent blacksmith.

I will be your best customer. No, really.

Oh, okay. I understand. I'll let everyone know.

Thanks for that.

We 100% should... is what I want to say, but actually, we can't make weapons just yet. For starters, we have to unlock the function first, and more importantly, we can't make ingots yet. We won't be able to make weapons without materials, so basically to make use of this feature you need to unlock another one of Plachta's memories, the one tied with the Merbert Farm monster / requests.

Too bad Sophie can't use any of them. We are weak. My favorite are great swords, by the way.

Anyway, let's check out Logy's shop.

Logy sells ore. It's useful when you can't nail the location of the ores yourself.

Some of this ore can be used to make items, so you might be able to make those items early.

This one counts as gunpowder too.

Logy also sells weapons, but these aren't all that great. Yes it has a trait on it, but I don't need that trait early game anyway, plus we can make better weapons. Oh, but if he sells a weapon with attack enhance, that would be much better than what you start out with.

I buy some Kaen Stones. We're going to go gather some soon, but it won't hurt to have more.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
"Aizen" btw, is phonetically "Eisen" or "Iron", with the translation probably going German -> Japanese -> English

I suppose it does fit in better with some of the other ores that way~

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Too bad Sophie can't use any of them. We are weak.

But we have the power of EXPLOSIVES.
And friendship. But mostly explosives.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

But we have the power of EXPLOSIVES.
And friendship. But mostly explosives.

I'm sure some day we'll be able to make a bomb that will shave off half a boss' HP in one hit... but that day is not today.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 19: Requests and Vouchers

We can turn in our chick woods survey group requests. It's divided into three requests, so...

We use up all our red uni. Again. Oh well.

Every quest you 'complete' gets marked with okay, and then you turn them all in. You only need to complete one request to turn in the request. You won't get paid for the quests you don't turn in though.

Group requests are one of the ways to earn vouchers.

I see. What kind of stuff can it be exchanged for?

I've left management of the vouchers to Tess, so please ask her for details. I'm sure she has some fine items.

I understand! Thank you.

Now I would show you Tess' shop, but she only comes in on weekends. So that will have to wait. Instead, let's look at more requests.

Over here we have another group request, and it's asking for Red Uni, which you can gather in the Chick Woods at night.

Nitro water, which honestly can't be found right now. We're early game and this stuff is found later.

And beehives, which we'll find in the Blessed Forest. Yes, beehives count as gunpowder.

So while we can easily get red uni and the beehives, we can't get nitro water right now. Like I said, you don't need to do all of the requests. Just one is enough. So if we do the red uni request and the beehive request, it will be enough. We won't get paid for the nitro water, and that's 400 cole just gone. But eh. Something is better than nothing. 200 cole is still nice.

Puni annoy everyone.

This person sounds just like Sophie, but she's obviously not the requester.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

now I'm interested what Puni Fluid looks like. Maybe it's more like jello than syrup?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 20: Elise and Plachta

When we return to the atelier, we get another scene.

Elise dropped by. Probably to see the talking book.

Ah, Elise! What's up?

I came over to see the strange book you told me about before.

Do you mean me?

My name is Plachta. It's nice to meet you.

Oh, it's nice to meet you too. I'm Elise.

Yes, yes it is.

I told you so.

Y-yes, you did. I'm quite shocked...

Ehehe, I've never seen you so flustered before, Elise.

What is it?

How do you feel right now?

I don't understand what you mean.

I'm sorry, maybe that was too vague. How do you feel when people read you, Plachta? I want to know how books feel.

I suppose if I had to describe it according to human emotions, I feel very happy. As a book, naturally it's pleasing for your information to be of use to readers.

Maybe there's a loner book or a shy book that hates being read.

I see, that's good... Now I'm feeling happy, too.

It's also quite pleasant when my pages are filled with more information. I'm sure the newly written pages will attract new readers, as well.

Wait, what new readers? I thought Sophie is the only person who reads you.

Yes, a book is meant to be read by people.

Yes, I have great expectations of you, Sophie.

You two see to get along well.

Yeah!

Your store?

Elise runs a bookstore.

A bookstore... I'd like to go.

Me too Plachta. Bookstores and libraries are great. I always lose track of time while I'm there.

Bye Elise.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There's something about bookstores and libraries that really are great. Even airport bookstores, which have always had a place in my heart.

It used to be that I could always grab the latest Pratchett book there, when I was heading outta the country. :(

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

There's something about bookstores and libraries that really are great. Even airport bookstores, which have always had a place in my heart.

It used to be that I could always grab the latest Pratchett book there, when I was heading outta the country. :(

I love those books too. They're great.

:(

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 21: Pilgrim Road

We'll begin today by synthesizing another Sotea, with MP recovery S. I don't know if I'll use it though, but can't hurt.

Synthesis is something you eventually get the hang of. Every new Atelier game I have to relearn the process because they make some sort of core gameplay change.

Basically we're stacking as much yellow coloured stuff as we can, so our percentage bonus can send us over the 50 point requirement we need for MP recovery S.

We don't have much choice in liquids right now. We probably won't, for a good while.

We use the water to make more bonus lights appear. Wake up cups and the like are actually time bonuses. If you use them at a certain time (in wake up cup's case, it's morning) you get a bonus. Naturally, it's a bit hard to make use of, because you might need it at a time in which the bonus doesn't activate.

We then overlap the water for even bigger bonus lights. Note that the eggs only change the second bar. We don't care about that, so it's not important for the eggs to get the bonus lights.

The important part is that the eggs remain on the panel so we can keep the percentage increase. Placing the material here causes a few of the lights to become bigger. We unfortunately can't make use of them all.

But we get plenty of bonuses regardless.

We haven't made the 50 cut yet, however we have 30 points, and a 68% bonus...

And so we succeed in our goal. The large Uni are useful, even if it costs you a bunch to get them to appear. I still stand by my claim that you don't need them. Useful or not, money at first is tight and there are many other things you can spend it on instead of getting Uni. Uni aren't exactly rare.

We're slowly inching towards level 10 alchemy. We'll get there some day.

Anyway, on to the main thing. Today we're going to explore the second beginner area, available to us at the start of our game. But before that, do you see those scrolls on the map? They basically indicate the areas where your request items / monsters are available. So we took on a bunch of requests to grab some gunpowder materials, and defeat some green puni and ghosts. Well all those locations are where those things show up. Technically. I'll explain more in a bit.

Now the pilgrim road says green puni are available here. It's not lying. You can find monsters / items whereever these scrolls show up. But the thing is, these scrolls don't tell you which area is more efficient for monster hunting. Pilgrim road isn't the place you want. All of the enemy symbols on this map are blue puni, and nothing really changes at night. So green puni show up, but randomly. The chick woods have a green puni on the map - so they're much better for killing the green puni. We're not going there to kill puni though. We're going for the materials.

This is also the place where we can gather magic grass.

But... there are definitely better materials out there.

And we found a new material.

Cobalt grass can also be used as water. It's blue coloured, so in the water category, well water is better. Unless you have huge amounts of cobalt grass you want to get rid off or something.

This is also the place to gather kaen stones. Useful.

Sophie does comment on the categories of materials. It's okay? I mean, the last two games of the dusk trilogy had way better commentary because it was voiced and all your party members got in on it.

We also hit the second dot while gathering. Great!

Monsters here don't change at night. They're still blue puni.

This is our haul. We still have 46 spaces left. So it's time to kill some puni so we can gather some more. I should add, I don't really like the fact monsters respawn over and over. Actually, that's not the problem. The problem is how they chase you all over the place. Especially the puni. Getting chased by a monster you can overkill 10 times over in one hit is... extremely annoying.

There is nothing interesting about fighting blue puni. I just spammed attack and they died. And no, green puni did not show up.

We start getting more materials, since our dots increased.

A green puni finally appears after like 6 or 7 battles.

It dies to uni bags and normal attacks. More importantly...

We learned new skills. Aura Field is a defensive skill.

Monika and Oskar learned new skills too. This is another buff skill.

Oskar learns his first area move. His MP is still pretty low, so he likely won't be able to use it much, but an area move is still an area move.

It's area coverage is decent enough.

Oskar still has his starting weapon equipped, you know. Once we get a better weapon, this moves get a lot better. A downside is that it is kind of slow. With better weapons most enemies will die even to normal attacks.

Other news: we have 3 dots now. Now these dots can go up to 5, but I've never had them go up to 5 in these low level areas without a certain accessory. So for now, just assume 3 is the max. Even though it's 5.

Also, note that Oskar has almost twice the LP of the other two. So even though Oskar complains about how he's all tired and stuff, his LP indicates he has the most stamina of them all.

More dots = more materials. Eventually...

Our basket gets full. I throw away a puniball to make room, but anyway, time to head home.

I should add, I stayed at pilgrim road, gathering and fighting till my basket got full, and out of those 10+ battles, only two green puni showed up. Well, never mind. We have to go to chick woods anyway to pound some ghosts, we can just pound the green puni there.

We can also turn in the puni fluid request.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I guess they coulda had lower levelled/weaker enemies avoid you? But then it might have been a hassle if you were hunting for them

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I guess they coulda had lower levelled/weaker enemies avoid you? But then it might have been a hassle if you were hunting for them

Even if they held still it would've been fine. Monsters literally chase you all over. Not fun.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
An odd design choice, considering how chill these games usually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

An odd design choice, considering how chill these games usually are.

This is the first game that's done this.

I'd like to say it's the last, but Atelier Firis exists.

It doesn't exactly work like Atelier Sophie, and the monsters might be easier to dodge too, but respawning monsters still are a thing.

In the past Atelier games you'd have to leave the map to make stuff respawn.