Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 22: Playing hide and seek

Today we're gonna go around town for events. You see how Elise is at the old forest? That's 100% event sign.

But not right now, because we have another event to see.

I should add this dialogue is a pain to capture.

You have to stand at the right spot at the right time.

And mostly you just start the event before it even completes.

Oh, hello Sophie. You came at the perfect time.

What's going on?

We're about to play hide-and-seek with everyone.

I like hide and seek.

Huh, that sounds fun!

Would you like to join us?

Is it really okay?

Of course. We were actually talking about how we wanted one more player. We'd be happy if you joined us.

Of course I'll join!

Okay then, let's start.

I'll explain the rules. The children are going to run off and hide now. We need to find them, Sophie. We win if we can find them all in time.

Okay, I got it.

You know, why don't we ever get to hide?

Boy A: Okay!

Girl A: You won't find me.

Boy B: Alright, here I go!

I think it's about time we started looking.

The play area size is insane, just saying. No really. Inside of town! I mean, Kirchen Bell might not be super huge or anything... but still.

Okay!

This is actually a fun event. Other events can still activate during it. I actually activated two, but I won't be showing them off here. Anyway, let's go. We've got kids to find.

You can lose at this event by the way. If you don't find the kids by evening, you lose. Nothing happens - the event will still go on. Losing doesn't hurt you or anything. Unless your pride is hurt by losing to a bunch of video game kids or something.

We've got a lot of ground to cover (basically the whole town), so let's start with old town. Anyway, a thing to note is that the kids do show up on the mini map as yellow dots, so if you track down all the yellow dots on the map, you'll be able to find them. Mostly.

Not a very good hiding place from this angle, but hiding behind walls is pretty classic.

Sophie: There you are!

Girl A: Oh no, and I thought it was a good place. I'll go back to the plaza now.

So remember that thing I said about the yellow dots. That still applies here. However...

Can you spot where he's hiding?

Boy A: I thought I'd be okay if I went this far... Darn it. I'll go back now!

If you haven't found him yet, he was hiding behind the barrels. I couldn't find this kid on my first playthrough and lost at hide and seek. Even his yellow dot is hiding behind Oskar and the shop's dots!

One more to go.

Let's check here.

...your hiding place sucks. At least hide behind the tree or something!

Sophie: I found you.

Boy B: Darn. I thought I found a good spot. Oh well, I'll go back to the plaza.

It wasn't a good spot. Really. Or maybe he was hiding in plain sight, using the disguise of random npc! Yeah, no.

Congrats, we beat a bunch of kids at hide and seek.

Boy A: Darn, we lost.

Girl A: You're too good at finding people.

I searched the internet. ...well, not really, I already knew where they were due to previous playthrough knowledge. But when I lost the first time I played, I actually had to ask where barrel kid was hidden.

We used the yellow dots of course.

You must be really good at searching because you're always going out and gathering items.

Ah, that might be it.

Boy B: Ugh, we won't lose next time!

Anyway, we should go back now.

Everyone: Okay!

Sophie, Monika, thank you for today.

Oh it's fine, we had fun too. Right, Sophie?

Yeah! Let's do that again!

Thank you. I'll see you again.

If you're curious about what Sophie says if you lose, it's just something like 'I won't lose next time!' and she's all sad about it.

You're really admirable, Monika.

What's this all of a sudden?

You're always going to the church and watching over the children.

Hm, well, I'm working at the church, but it's mostly because I want to do it. Also, it's fun playing with everyone.

Ahaha, I see.

Pious is a passive skill.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 23: Tess' Shop

Now two more events activated while I was playing hide and seek, but today we're going to ask Tess about the vouchers we got.

Oh, Sophie. What is it?

I wanted to ask about these vouchers.

Ah! So you've started getting those vouchers too.

Yes, I received it from Mr. Horst.

I see. Looks like it's my turn now. If you gather enough vouchers, you can trade them for various items that I'm managing. Better items require more vouchers. Work hard to get lots of them, okay?

Okay, I understand. I'll do my best!

Basically, if you do well in a quest you can also get vouchers. Sometimes.

You can't sell things to Tess. And we don't use money in this shop, only vouchers.

Tess carries a variety of things, some are materials.

Some are items we can make ourselves. The quality is pretty impressive.

They also have traits, if you're interested.

Some of it is stuff we can't even make yet.

This stuff isn't worth it, because we can make better stuff, but sometimes you get requests asking for these items. If you don't want to turn in your own version, you can get them from Tess. I don't reccomend it, but I've done it a few times.

These are actually good traits, and this item is actually decent too.

Again, we can't make this yet. Pure water is decent, it gives good water value, but what would you use it for early game? Later on you can make your own.

She also has equipment. I vastly prefer to make my own equipment, but this isn't bad. We can, and we will, make much better equipment.

This is really useful. Mainly because it's hard to find, but also because we can use it early on in some synthesis. I'll show you later, but this is one item I do spend vouchers on.

This is also pretty good. I'm not going to get it right away though... for recipe related reasons.

This item is interesting. For starters, the game is cheating. Demon Soul isn't a trait we can put on an accessory. Meaning, we will never be able to put demon soul on a friendly persona. Does it make this item unique? Yes. Is it worth it? Nope. The ring is better and it costs half of this. Still, that's just my opinion. If you want it, it exists.

Tess will add some more items later, which may or may not be worth it.

I also accepted new requests.

We can unlock Plachta's new memory without ever fighting the farm night monster, but we'll fight it in this LP. We have to visit the farm for another recipe anyway.

I also buy out more rumors to make space for new ones. Except for Greatly grown magic grass. It's a material rumor. The rest of them are tutorial stuffs.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 24: Meeting Elise outside

Elise is in old town today. So let's talk to her.

Hello, Sophie.

Hello. Why are you in a place like this?

I at least need to go outside on my days off. Staying inside all the time is unhealthy...

So you're taking a walk? Did you walk a lot?

No, I was just reading over there, so I hardly walked at all.

I honestly don't see the appeal. I prefer to read while in my bed or in a library.

Yes, that's right.

Does that even matter? I dunno, when I read books the environment hardly matters, the only important thing is that I read, and read some more. So I just pick the environment that offers the least amount of distractions, or when I'm waiting somewhere.

Huh... I guess it is different, now that you mention it...

Right?

D-do you really think so...?

Yeah, I think it would be picture perfect.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 25: The Clockmaker

In the main street, another event took place.

Guys meet Harol. Also one of my favorite characters.

Hm...? Oh, Sophie. Why are you loitering around here?

I'm done for the day. It's past closing time.

...Your shop had a later closing time than this.

No, I changed the closing time starting today.

Right at this moment, most probably.

You're just trying to slack off again.

I'm not slacking. Don't say rude things like that. I'm the owner of the shop. I choose when the store opens and closes.

Sounds... legit.

You're saying things like that again? Don't act like that, you need to work. You inherited that shop from your dad, after all.

...Hah, I don't need you to tell me what to do. See you later.

He left... (Harol's always slacking off on his job... He inherited that clock shop from his dad, he should work their properly...)

True to his words, the shop is closed.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Harol is a cool dude, but he gives a bad first impression. I like his role as Sophie's too cool for clocks big brother.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Tarezax posted:

Harol is a cool dude, but he gives a bad first impression. I like his role as Sophie's too cool for clocks big brother.

Me too. He's pretty cool.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So I got this game during the winter sale due to the LP (and haaah... Koei's utter half-assed supported for pc ports shows) and ended up racing through it. Harol's arc is probably one of my favorites in the game.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 26: Time to actually do our day job

Okay, we've seen lots of events, and there are more to see, but not today. Today we're going to some synthesis. Also, this isn't what I actually did after meeting Harol, because there were even more events to see. But I'll show you those events later.

I played the piano.

I also went to the Chick Woods to complete some quests.

Like these ones. I didn't turn them in yet.

We can make everything now, so let's make some new things.

We're going to make a neutralizer, one of the basic items of alchemy. This is either directly or indirectly used in a whole lot of things.

So we'll start from ingredient selection. We don't have much of a choice right now, and I'm not using the red uni just yet. I'm going to just make this thing without worrying about numbers.

Our choices in water have increased. We can now use cobalt grass! But well water is still better. It doesn't really matter what I choose.

I place the water first. The top one then the bottom one.

Then I place the gunpowder on the sides.

I probably could have gotten the water effect if I placed it after I placed the gunpowder. But never mind. We'll do that again later.

We're going to make a whole lot of these. For various reasons. But mainly because you can use them in a lot of recipes.

We got slightly better at alchemy.

Next time, more events to see.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 27: Blacksmith part 2

Hey there, Sophie. Do you want some new weapons?

I want.

Yeah, pretty much... But you seem really busy right now.

No, I was just putting the finishing touches onto this. I'm about to be done with it.

The weapons you make are really amazing... They're strong and pretty.

I'm happy you said that, but I still have a long ways to go.

Wait, really? From my point of view, I think everything you make is amazing...

The hilt is also uneven and misshapen. There's a lot more things about it that I can point out. Once you see the techniques of real craftsmen, I look like an amateur.

People would know if I half-assed my job or rushed through forging my wares. Even if I was able to stay in business, I'd be a failure as a craftsman.

(...Logy is really amazing. I need to work harder at my alchemy too.)

We'll be granting Sophie's wish in the next update.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 28: Paper

Today we shall perform the super exciting task of making paper.

Zettel uses three plants which we have a lot of. As you can see, we have no bars, so the category points don't matter. I pick these two here.

And magic grass, because of the size.

My pick for the water.

We only have red neutralizer.

At this point, no matter what I place it will overlap.

I don't really have the right sizes to cover the entire grid.

Zettel counts as both paper and fuel - and gives us pretty good paper category points. It's pretty useful.

We also got a little better!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm just now progressing onto the third game in this sub-series, and it's like I already forgot everything I ever knew about synthesis in this game. They're all so different to one another!

Zettel just means "note", apparently, so I guess it's note paper? Confused me for a good while until I looked it up, since everything else is mostly named sensibly.

Also count me into the Harol fanclub, and also the Logy one because I kind of adore Logy's design. I would wear that poo poo out of that coat.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 29: Reading at the Cafe

Today, all our friends except Monika are in one place on the map. Which means events. With Elise. And Pamela. The rule is if a person is at another place they're normally not at, that means an event.

Sure enough, here is Elise, reading.

Hello, Sophie.

You're reading in the cafe today?

Yes, that's right.

I see. But the cafe can be a little loud, are you able to concentrate?

Yes, I'm fine. Quiet places are nice, but I like reading in places that have some noise, too. Sometimes, it's actually easier to concentrate in places like this.

Actually, different strokes for different folks. I've never been able to concentrate in noisy places.

Huh, I didn't know.

Also, I can drink really good tea here.

Plus point of the cafe. Good food.

Ahaha, that's true.

I accept all the one time rumors. They're stuff the game has gone over before, so I'm not gonna show the rest. Generally stuff like group requests, better items equals better reward, the fatigue part is about your LP, and gathering is about gathering. The weather and time influences stuff you can gather. Like how red uni can be gathered at night. That sort of thing.

This is what our request list looks like. Let's turn in some requests.

We get vouchers for doing well.

Also, this is the message you get when you do very well. This is going to be our main source of income for a long time.

Our bar fills up more. It'll fill up completely if we beat the farm monster, but you don't have to if you don't feel confident. You can just do requests.

I also play the piano.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 30: The real reason we do alchemy

Right, so today we're going to make a bomb. Making medicine? No, no, the real reason we perform alchemy is to make bombs, yes. Bombs are one of the most important things we will make... because they'll be our only reliable source of damage early on, that is till we can make better weapons.

Bomb recipe needs 2 Kaen Stones. This is non-negotionable. So you need Kaen stones to make bombs. And yes, they will always give you around 10 points. The larger ones may give you a little more.

The other things we need include gunpowder, paper and neutralizer.

Kaen stones also count as gunpowder. But they only give 5 category points. We'll pick red uni instead, which gives us a much better 15.

I should explain what decides the points of the fixed materials. So in this case we have a Kaen stone, which gives us 10 points to ore or 5 points to gunpowder. In this case, for the fixed category, the kaen stones are being counted as an ore, which is why they give us 10 points.

For paper, we have the option of paper scraps... which is only 10 points. Plus it's green. We'll use zettel, which gives us 40 points, and the colour is red too.

Finally for our neutralizer, we'll pick our only option - red neutralizer. Well, even if we had an option, we'll still pick red ones. This is because the rest of our materials are red as well, and it's better to have them all of one colour if you want to max out your bonus percentage value. But as you can see, the neutralizer doesn't have a bar next to it. So how many points they give doesn't matter. The only thing that does matter is the colour and the size.

I say that, but... to be honest it doesn't actually matter because our grid is too small. It'll matter once we get a bigger grid though.

The first thing I place is the red neutralizer. Mainly to generate more bonuses on the panel, but also because it doesn't have any category points to give and because of this even if I overlap it with another material, nothing much will be lost. We'll lose the percentage bonus, but we can't fit all the materials on our grid anyway, so this is the sacrifice.

I place the zettel first because it doesn't actually need bonuses, since it already has 40 points.

Followed by the red uni. I want the Kaen stones to be placed last because they influence damage.

Now if you're wondering why I didn't place the Kaen stone on the right on the two red bonuses... it's because it won't change anything. The percentage bonus isn't enough to make a difference.

Well, we can do better, of course, but for now, this is good enough. We have enough materials to make a second bomb. Which we will do.

Our bomb. It's okay. It'll still hurt no matter what early game monster I throw it at. Much more than Sophie's staff.

Only Sophie and Oskar can equip bombs. Monika can't. But Monika's noraml attack isn't as bad as Sophie's so it's okay. She can still equip uni bombs, if you really want to give her some attack items.

And we got better at alchemy!

Anyway, that was nice, but we can do better.

Same ingredients as last time.

As always, neutralizer gets sacrificed.

Followed by the gunpowder.

The paper gets placed in the corner. To generate more bonuses. We're not giving the paper any bonuses, but the next level up for this bar is at 100, and honestly, I don't need defense down right now. Stuff isn't going to stay alive long enough for debuffs anyway.

It wasn't three giant orbs, but two large orbs and one medium sized one is pretty good. Plus, it made two medium bonuses into large ones.

Mission successful! We now have a more powerful bomb. We'll be able to do more things once we get better at our alchemy. But for now, this is pretty good.

Wasn't enough to give us level 10, but we're close enough.

I gave the better bomb to Sophie, which she will use on anything her Uni bags aren't good enough for. And if we run out? We'll make more. There is no time limit, so there isn't any real reason to be stingy with your items.

We give the other bomb to Oskar for any situation his normal attack won't cut it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I guess getting a larger grid completely obsoletes all previously made items?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SIGSEGV posted:

I guess getting a larger grid completely obsoletes all previously made items?

Not really, the final boost to your trait meters comes from percentage of the grid covered, not total number of squares used. Massive grids can be unworkable if all your materials are small, you'll only end up getting a 34% boost or something. Whereas on a smaller grid you might get 137%. There's something to be said for keeping your stuff relatively compact, sometimes.

Most of the obsoleting of previous items comes from new materials. With a better colour or value.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I see, in this case, I guess it's possible to choose to use a smaller grid? Or are we stuck using the larger ones?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

SIGSEGV posted:

I see, in this case, I guess it's possible to choose to use a smaller grid? Or are we stuck using the larger ones?

You get more than one cauldron. So if you choose, you can simply leave a cauldron at 4x4 grid, make different ones with 5x5 or 6x6 grids.

But at a time one cauldron can only be one size. I’ll explain it in more detail when we unlock the cauldron recipes, but in this case, Sophie’s current cauldron can only be one grid size.

You can remake a cauldron as many times as you want... but that costs materials. So you aren’t stuck with a size, but at the same time it’s not exactly easy to switch.

As for larger grids vs smaller grids, both have advantages. As pointed out, smaller ones give you bigger boosts because the only thing the game cares about is how much of the grid you cover.

But at the same time bigger materials won’t even fit on a smaller grid. We shall see later, but sometimes panels are missing from your grid. Nothing can be placed there.

Ideally, the ‘perfect’ grid size would give you enough room to place all the materials you want to place and give you high percentage too. So it changes from synthesis to synthesis.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 25, 2018

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I am sorry my update speed is slow. I’ll work on improving it and have the update out soon.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 31: It is a Mystery

In town, another event takes place.

Sophie!

Can I ask you to do something for me?

What is it?

Elise came here to shop earlier, but... She left and forgot this book. I need to look after the store. I'm sorry, but could you take it to her?

Yes, I don't mind.

I'm sorry, thank you.

Hello, Pamela. Are you here to shop?

That's right. I came to buy some vegetables. What about you?

I actually have something to do right now.

Oh, I see. See you later.

At the bookstore...

Hmm... :iiam:

Did we meet there? Anyway, I'll be leaving now. See you two again.

Thank you for coming. ...Sophie, what's wrong?

Um... Mrs. Marguerite said you forgot this at her store...

So that's where it was. That's good... Thank you, Sophie.

No problem...

Thank you... Hm? Why the long face?

Um... I met Pamela over there, too. Even though I had just seen her here...

Oh really? It didn't look like she was in a rush, and she walked off from here.

R-really... Hmm?

The event ends here. This isn't much of a mystery if you've played an Atelier game with Pamela in it. Pamela is a recurring face, kind of like same face, different person.

Next time there will be gathering. Or more events.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 32: Rocky Mountain

Today we will go explore a new location. The rocky mountain won out, so that's where we'll go.

The icon above the other two locations is an indicator of where to go to complete requests. Of course, we won't be going there today.

Hooray for simple names. Now the only monster we see in the monster section is the green puni, but that's just because we haven't discovered any of the other monsters yet.

I don't know what you guys were expecting from a place called a rocky mountain. Oh and there are giant birds here. Of all the monsters that chase you around (read: all of them), birds are some of the worst because they're so fast. I hate it.

Ardras are level 6, and have around 50 HP. They're also fast... which doesn't mean all that much, because everyone only gets one action per turn. It just means our bird buddy here will get to attack before us in the turn. In earlier games you could take multiple turns because it depended on your speed stat, but here speed just has another function.

It does about 13 damage with its normal attack.

Here is one of it's skills. It's not exactly very powerful, but avoiding drawn out battles is still important. We don't exactly have a whole lot of healing items right now.

The game even shows you loot tables, kind of. We won't exactly be getting those 2 star and 3 star stuff without some help.

Hey we found something new!

Cotton is very useful. Plants, threads and fuels are all common categories, and threads are mostly needed for armor too. Not that we can actually make any armor yet, but cotton is still useful. And this place has a bunch.

We can also gather crystal shards here.

Then a puni ran into us. Terrifying, I know. And then I beat it up.

This is from another puni battle. I took this picture to show the mountain at night and also to point out that these puni are level 1.

Here is Oscar using spinning shovel. Once upon a time the green puni were kind of difficult. At level 1. But now that we're a higher level, they're weak. Such is the way of things. Now to be fair, while equipment determines your actual strength, levels do help on early on. We'll gain the ability to make weapons soon anyway, and we still have our items. I'm just throwing Uni Bags at everything.

Sunset grass is also gatherable here. Sunset grass is gatherable in a whole lot of early game places.

Our gathering result. I've posted this before, but if you don't want to look through previous updates here are the encyclopedia entries for the other two.

Die, puni!

Don't you just love it when this happens? Spinning shovel just wasn't enough. It was almost enough.

Our list has been updated now that we've actually fought and gathered the new enemies and materials. That was it for rocky mountain, it's not a terribly interesting place, but it's just an early game area.

I should add something. If a monster isn't a field enemy, but shows up in battle, the game doesn't register it on the enemies list for some reason. As you can see, blue puni aren't here, even though we very much fought them.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Update 33: The Clockmaker Part 2

Today we'll visit Harol's clock shop.

It has clocks.

Many clocks.

And some giant wheel type things that also look like clocks.

...Oh, it's Sophie. I'm working, don't bother me.

I didn't know. I'm sorry.

Yeah, I guess.

Harol's opinion on clocks in a nutshell: they exist.

But it doesn't look like you're working on a clock, no matter how I look at it...

I'm sure it doesn't. I'm not working on a clock, after all.

...Can you really call that working, then?

He has a pretty good point. It is his shop, after all.

*Sigh*... So what are you doing?

What a completely different thing from a clock. Also, this is a fantasy gun, it's as effective as a sword due to fantasy physics. All weapons are equal! That being said, being hit by any weapon should be deadly, so I guess the concept isn't wrong.

And of course, they aren't very common.

I don't blame you for not knowing. I didn't know what guns were until recently, either. Guns are weapons. They use explosive powder called gunpowder to fire bullets. I got this from a travelling merchant. Lately I've been spending all my time making these.

Huh... You're really skilled with your hands, so I guess you can make anything.

And yet, he still doesn't make clocks.

Pretty much. Gunsmithing is deep and complicated. I like it.

Huh, I see...

Of course, I guess we've progressed from 'not opening the shop' to 'the shop is open, just not clocks'.

How rude, I used fast travel to actually come visit you. Also why don't you work on a clock or something if you're bored.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh hey, you're still updating! Nice to see you.

I actually got this and downloaded it a while ago, but I think I bounced off it pretty hard. I mean, I'd heard these atelier games were laid back... Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood, but I am generally used to... more... things happening. I haven't really given up yet, since I do like the general tone, and it dimply makes more sense to play as a craftsman with a job than some chosen hero with a quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

resurgam40 posted:

Oh hey, you're still updating! Nice to see you.

I actually got this and downloaded it a while ago, but I think I bounced off it pretty hard. I mean, I'd heard these atelier games were laid back... Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood, but I am generally used to... more... things happening. I haven't really given up yet, since I do like the general tone, and it dimply makes more sense to play as a craftsman with a job than some chosen hero with a quest.

Yeah, I am still updating, at a fossil pace. I've been extremely busy in real life, but I think I will have some real free time in the future and will use it to properly lp the game.

The general pace of the game is slow in the beginning and there is more to do later on, but... well, the game doesn't have a time limit so you're never under any real pressure.

Meanwhile, in previous games, like the Arland trilogy and the first two games of the Dusk trilogy, there is a time limit, and the pressure on you increases considerably as the game progresses. There is a lot going on then; you just have to manage it.

I'll hopefully have an update out sometime in the next week.