Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Not sure I want to go down the academic route, but it would be cool to have a GIS job that is more focused on analysis. Do these even exist? Is there anyone here who has used spatial analysis or statistics techniques in their work?

It's not my area of training or expertise, but I've done a fair amount of spatial analysis work. Honestly even GIS-specific jobs are going to be mostly database and programming work, and to be competitive you're going to need at least some familiarity there. I'll use GIS software to produce neato maps and manage shape files, but I'm still running everything out of databases and doing most if not all analysis in spatial SQL.

IME a good bet is to look at large insurance and real estate firms, they make a lot of use of GIS and are always hiring analysts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread