Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaliDog
Feb 10, 2017
I have some training in GIS from my BSC in geography. I'm looking for a GIS / remote sensing job, too. There are a ton of job postings, as you may have noticed. But the qualifications required are usually a GIS/CPSC degree for the techier jobs involving database management and servers and so on, or some GIS experience and another field of expertise. EG could be GIS and oil and gas industry, in your case, or GIS and forestry (or O&G again) up here where I live. How GIS combines with history, I donno. It does combine with archaeology, so if that's your area of history, you are in luck. I guess as for history, it's human geography - so there you go. (I prefer biophysical stuff, myself.)

As for learning about GIS on your own, head straight to the ESRI site and start doing the free courses that allow you to use ARCGIS online. Then head to the opensource software and try other projects there. (If you were recently a student, you might be able to download ARCGIS from your university, as I did recently, even though I graduated over a year ago.) I was looking at doing a certificate, but right now I'm thinking the self-teaching is going to be adequate. Here are some other free GIS resources:

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/maps/syllabus

https://www.gislounge.com/how-to-go-from-gis-novice-to-pro-without-spending-a-dime/

https://www.gislounge.com/tutorials-in-gis/

Scroll down to the GEOG courses - PSU has great free online materials.

http://open.ems.psu.edu/courseware

And google-fu is a key GIS skill, also, There's so much more out there than what I've listed. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaliDog
Feb 10, 2017

Nail Rat posted:

I actually thought this was a thread about careers in Google Image Search.

Gee, I hope not. I thought it was about geographic information systems.

BaliDog
Feb 10, 2017

Nail Rat posted:

Well obviously now I just meant from the thread title.

Agreed.

OP, if you can think of a way GIS relates to your interests in history - applicable to human geography of the present day, it could be a good combo. Like if you are interested in urban planning, for example. Although I'd think library science would be more of a natural.

You could check out the ESRI story map contest. Being a historian, you might know of a story worth telling, and it's an free and easy way to get introduced to ARCGIS. You don't have to go into hardcore GIS like I want to. You can use it as part of story-telling, which to me would seem a natural fit with your background. I presume you can write and show and tell a story:

http://www.esri.com/landing-pages/s...&aducp=branding

As a noob, you could learn something just from reading about the contest, really.

BaliDog
Feb 10, 2017

Uziduke posted:

I am also debating on GIS or wetlands with my geog degree. I want to be outside so wetlands sounds fun, but i also love staring at maps all day. Life decisions are hard.

What kind of wetlands work are you thinking of? I am interested in those, too, and most of the jobs seem to be civil engineering, apart from low-paid monitoring summer jobs, usually done by interns or here in Canada, students under 30. Frankly, they are often volunteer positions, also. Maybe you have a strong biology background, though, unlike me, and you can go to the ecosystem/vegetation side. I'm looking to get more field experience with vegetation so that I can get into this kind of work and ultimately get a P.Ag qualification. Again, the agrologists' professional org is provincial, so it's unlikely you are in the same jurisdiction as I am.

What did you do in your geog degree? Mine was BSC with a lot of hydrology and geomorph, but to do "hydrology" work here you pretty much need master's level earth science - so all the structural and groundwater stuff I didn't take. I did surface stuff, which as I said gets taken over mostly by civil engineering, here. Looking to find a little niche for myself and have looked at an awful lot of job postings over the past year.

BaliDog
Feb 10, 2017

birds posted:

So I've completed my B.A. in Geography and minor in GIS. I even got a GIS certificate from my university. I'm looking for jobs but they many seem to require knowledge in ArcSDE, ArcGIS server and all that stuff outside of ArcMap. These were never covered in my Intro and Advanced GIS classes. How difficult is it to learn these programs? I'll have access to the full ArcGIS software package this summer but I'm mostly on my own as far as learning them.

If you weren't good at ArcMap, these other things are definitely beyond you at the moment. They are for setting up a server and spatial database. It's really computer-geek stuff, and I don't know how you'd learn it on your own because no way you'd get access to the software. You could work on other database and server software, open source stuff, but you're not a computer geek, so it ain't gonna happen. Unless you hatch out of your egg and become one. I'm not being sarcastic, just colourful. It's not gonna happen to me either. I will use computers as a tool, but I can't fall in love with them and won't become a drone to their service just for the money. Considering you didn't google and find out what those programs are, etc, you are currently not practising the basic skill for using ArcMap and computers in general, ie JFGI.

• Locked thread