Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've been studying or working in GIS off and on since about 2004.

I'll second the guy who says that your basic GIS career involves a lot of database work and a good amount of coding. I've decided that's not really my bag, and I doubt that it is for most of the people that get into it - when I first saw the option to major in "Geographic Information Systems" in my college course catalog, it was definitely the "Geographic" part that caught my eye, as a lifelong enthusiast of maps.

Right now my GIS-related job is a contract position where I do research on the attributes of electric power-related infrastructure (plants, substations, transmission lines) and then QA GIS data of these features. Not real thrilling stuff, but as a contractor I do it remotely which is nice.

I'm looking to move again soon, and it'd be nice to find a city where I could pick up some more GIS gigs. Particularly something with an environmental application and some field work would be interesting. Not sure if there's a "Silicon Valley" of GIS work - suggestions welcome.

EDIT:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I am unsure about south Texas, but north Texas actually has a surprising amount of GIS work going due to extreme climate change, rapid tree loss, sprawl which feeds back into urban heat island, and fast growth.

This is interesting. Could you tell me who specifically is doing work on these things? I'd move back to Texas.

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Uziduke posted:

I am also debating on GIS or wetlands with my geog degree. I want to be outside so wetlands sounds fun, but i also love staring at maps all day. Life decisions are hard.

I would absolutely focus on wetlands and take some GIS classes on the side. GIS was never meant to be a field of study in and of itself - rather it's a tool for things like studying wetlands.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

One thing I've noticed over the years is a big gap between GIS education and jobs. GIS classes tend to focus more on things like spatial analysis and statistics. and then you go job hunting and the top skills they're looking for in a GIS analyst are coding and database management. I suppose this is because, as GIS classes are usually taken at universities, they tend to be more focused on solving scientific problems, which you would use spatial analysis and statistics techniques for.

Not sure I want to go down the academic route, but it would be cool to have a GIS job that is more focused on analysis. Do these even exist? Is there anyone here who has used spatial analysis or statistics techniques in their work?

• Locked thread