Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Is anyone out there in GIS? I'm trying to learn as much as I can but don't have much of place to start. I'm stranded for the second major time in careers and probably going to have to try something new (already have BA and MA in history). GIS was suggested in a thread I posted about environmental science-type degrees and jobs, and it at least has job prospects (environmental seemed more up in the air).

Aside from my degrees I've been all over (accounting/data entry, defense contracting/radiation safety, and last was oilfield/radiation safety). Only thing is I'm basically tethered to S. Texas.

Job search isn't going well and I'm near taking my old job back but I'll be out of town for extended periods. It will hopefully allow me to pursue a new degree though. Just can't pick something that bombs.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah I should've clarified, although I don't think the full thing would fit for the thread title. Geographic Info. Systems.

I don't have any illusion that it will match with what I've done thus far, just trying to find something marketable that I can do well and not hate. I've basically accepted that all my past experience will be moot, unfortunately.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Thanks for the resources guys (and to the mods for updating the thread title so it's actually useful). Going to do some digging into them when I'm on an actual computer.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

birds posted:

I'm a Geography major and GIS minor. It's useful but it's also loving infuriating to use this software.

Well that's not encouraging :( ARCGIS or what?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

dy. posted:

I just found this thread but wanted to offer some support. I've worked in GIS for about 10 years, starting as a cartographer/analyst role and moving up to designing and building large federal enterprise GIS solutions, mostly around spatial data management and integration.

Happy to help if anyone has any questions!

One pro tip: if you got data, get FME. The general desktop GIS software solutions like ArcGIS and QGIS are actually pretty weak when it comes to complex data stuff. FME lets you do amazing things with all kinds of datasets very quickly and easily.

So is what you do now a lot more code writing and the like? I still haven't decided if I should take the plunge on this.

• Locked thread