Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Well, I bought a ticket without any of the guff. Here's hoping I still live in the area when November rolls around! :v: e: Since I'm at the top of the page, let me stress again that transportation into Philly from NJ suburbs is super easy and you shouldn't try to get a hotel room in Philly. The PATCO line runs from Lindenwold to 15th and Locust, so see if you can get a room somewhere close to the spurs and almost certainly save some money.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I've regged as well, nice and painless.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bogart posted:

Well, I bought a ticket without any of the guff. Here's hoping I still live in the area when November rolls around! :v: e: Since I'm at the top of the page, let me stress again that transportation into Philly from NJ suburbs is super easy and you shouldn't try to get a hotel room in Philly. The PATCO line runs from Lindenwold to 15th and Locust, so see if you can get a room somewhere close to the spurs and almost certainly save some money.
My hotel is right across the street from the convention center and was reasonably priced.

Then again, those prices might have only seemed reasonable to me because I go to Gen-Con.

Edit: Oh looking again, I at least understand the dice now--they say P A X on the probably "6"-faced side. I mean that does not make them useful but at least it makes them display-worthy if you are into that. Actually good lord I just realized that is the obvious solution as to what to do with my infinite assortment of dice, MAKE SHADOW BOXES

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 3, 2017

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Got a Saturday pass. I live nearby and would have had to work on Friday for most of the day. Looking forward to it.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I'm conditionally in assuming here's no work issues on my end. Should be fun to hit this and Gencon this year!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

FYI, the Reading Terminal Market is right below the convention center. Get ready for some good eats, the place is stuffed with Amish Delis

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm conditionally in assuming here's no work issues on my end. Should be fun to hit this and Gencon this year!
YES WE WILL LINK HANDS AND MARCH FROM ONE TO THE OTHER

JerikTelorian posted:

FYI, the Reading Terminal Market is right below the convention center. Get ready for some good eats, the place is stuffed with Amish Delis
Oh dang I think that was the place my Philadelphian friend first got me into needlessly expensive olive oil and balsamic vinegar. If so, it was pretty much the best cluttered-market-overflowing-with-delicious-and-amazing-things I have seen. Which seems to check out.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, that olive oil place is still around. Sits next to the best grilled cheese place I know of. :D

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I thought to myself "surely something interesting must have happened in the last month?" and I found this hilarity

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/25/15693682/pax-china-gc-play-guangzhou

PAX EVERYWHERE

I am still sort of surprised there is apparently money in running conventions. I always figured they were loss-leading events, so to speak.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am still sort of surprised there is apparently money in running conventions. I always figured they were loss-leading events, so to speak.

Being an exhibitor at a convention can be a loss-leading thing, since you in theory might make enough outside of the con through additional buzz, product awareness, new customers to pay for any losses that exhibiting cost, but if the con itself is losing money it's going to shut down quickly unless they have a plan to change that.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Oh, hey, there's a thread for this! Me and a couple buddies have our badges ordered and hotel booked. We'll be road tripping in from St Louis. Hope it doesn't eat! (Really hoping I'll be able to pick up my copy of Thornwatch at the con, but figure that's a pipe dream.)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am still excited for this con :toot: still hasn't sold out of any passes yet which tbh might be nice? not super crazy popular so far it seems I don't hear much buzz

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
They are way too quiet on it imo. People have no clue what to expect.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I really think this is a like...I doubt "soft launch" is the right term when talking about something obviously planned to be an annual event, but I am sure they are curious to see whether they can compete with the handful of established big tabletop-focused conventions on name value and nothing else.

No huge loss if it ends up being a one-off, in other words. Though I hope it lasts just so I can feel cool having been at the first of its kind ;(

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Is there an events listing anywhere or a listing of what vendors to expect?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I can't believe you would question the integrity of the knowledge repository that is this thread, which contains all of a single link to an offical site, which itself is berefit of any info

How dare you

nobody knows anything, its pretty weird. We're all gonna show up and there will just be refugee tents and cheese sandwiches Fyre Festival style

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd say it's weird but then again for PAX East people barely had any idea what was happening until like 2 weeks before other that "ITS PAX EAST!!!" so I expect it to be October and still being like "hm wonder what's gonna happen there"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
PARTY IN MY ROOM

just kidding you stay the hell out of my room

I am glad to know this is a common issue with PAX. Though confused that this does not seem to negatively impact attendance.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Supposidly the main guy heading up the D&D events had a phone call with them this past weekend. He was supposed to email me about how that went but I haven't received anything yet, so who knows if it even happened. Its pretty late to be pulling game stuff like that together IMO, especially with having to gather DMs and everything.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Quarex posted:

PARTY IN MY ROOM

just kidding you stay the hell out of my room

I am glad to know this is a common issue with PAX. Though confused that this does not seem to negatively impact attendance.

The other PAX Events can get away with it because people know that regardless of what is actually there, there will be a lot of stuff there. This event is so new that I am worried that their last minute approach will not be good for attendance, since right now nobody even knows if there will be a lot of stuff there.

e; Also, the other PAXs have hype built on name alone because of their juggernaut status in the videogame industry. They don't have that here, not really, and after the initial hype of the event going radio silent hurts hype more than builds it.

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 20, 2017

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Fellis posted:

We're all gonna show up and there will just be refugee tents and cheese sandwiches cheesesteaks Fyre Festival style

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Just saw a list of vendors, though Geek Chic is on it...

•9th Level Games
•Academy Games
•Albino Dragon
•Alderac Entertainment Group
•Anvil Eight Games
•APE Games
•Arcane Wonders
•Arcknight
•Ares Games
•Asmodee
•Atlas Games
•B & B Games Studio
•Baba Geek Games
•Black Oak
•Blind Ferret Entertainment
•Braine Games
•Breaking Games
•Broken Token
•Brotherwise Games
•Calliope Games
•Capstone Games
•Carolina Game Tables
•CMON
•Cool Stuff Inc
•Copper Frog Games
•Crimson Night Studios
•Critsuccess
•Cubicle 7
•Cyanide and Happiness
•Daily Magic Games
•Devir Americas
•Dized
•Dog Might Games
•Dwarven Forge
•Eagle-Gryphon Games
•Elderwood Academy
•Elzra
•Emergence Team
•Fantasy Flight
•Foambrain
•Forged By Geeks
•Fowers Games
•Fun to 11
•Gale Force 9
•Geek Chic
•Geeknson LTD
•Gigamic
•Goodman Games
•Golden Bell Studios
•Grand Gamers Guild
•Greater than Games
•Grey Fox Games
•Handelabra Games
•Hero Forge
•Iello
•Indie Boards and Cards
•Indie Game Developer Network
•InIt Gear
•Intoxicatingly
•Ironmark Games
•Jason Anarchy Games
•John Wick Presents
•Kickstarter
•Lay Waste Games
•Leder Games
•Level 99 Games
•Level Up Dice
•Liveware Lab
•Lone Shark Games
•Lone Wolf Development
•LongPack Games
•Looney Labs
•Magpie Games
•Mantic Games
•Mayday Games
•Mayfair Games
•Metallic Dice Games
•Mind Bottling Games
•Monocle Society
•Monte Cook
•Nailed It
•Nauvoo Games
•Necronamicards
•North Star Games
•Onyx Path Publishing
•Orange Machine Games
•Paizo
•Pandemonium Books and Games
•Passport Games Studios
•Petersen Games
•Portal Games Company
•PulsArt Studio
•Quick Simple Fun Games
•Q-Workshop
•Rather Dashing Games
•Reaper Miniatures
•Renegade Games
•Restoration Games
•Rob and Dave Games
•Seventh Sphere Publishing
•SFR Inc
•hoot Again Games
•Skybound Studios
•SlugFest Games
•Smirk and Dagger Games
•Space Goat Productions
•Steamforged Games
•Steve Jackson Games
•Strange Machine Games
•Stronghold Games
•Studio 2 Publishing
•Studio Woe
•Studio Wumpus
•Table Titans
•Tabletop Co-op
•Tasty Minstrel Games
•The Burning Wheel
•The Compleat Strategist
•The Creativity Hub
•The Indie Bazaar
•TheWarStore.com
•Thompson Productions LLC
•ThunderGryph Games
•Twogether Studios
•Underbite Games
•Wizards of the Coast
•White Wolf Entertainment
•Wolff Design
•Wyrd Games
•Wyrmwood
•Yanaguana Games
•Zafty Games
•And more...

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TT_HQ/status/890608895525126145

Max
Nov 30, 2002

With Fantasy Flight going there I hope they have L5R ready to go by then.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
When did Geek Chic go bust? Like three weeks ago? Just curious when that initial list of vendors was set.

I heard that BGG con in Texas was this same weekend, but attendace is capped at 3000. I can't imagine vendors would choose that over PAX unplugged, and that list seems to prove that assumption. Pretty sweet vendor list, dealer hall should be excellent for getting stuff you missed at Gencon.

Max posted:

With Fantasy Flight going there I hope they have L5R ready to go by then.

L5R is coming out at Gencon in three weeks. Dunno when it will hit stores but should be before late November.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah that list already suggests to me I will probably end up enjoying this more than Origins, not that that takes much.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Oh I just realized if FFG doesn't have their new Genesys rpg at Gencon, they'll definitely have it at PAX-UP!! Hell yes!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Oh, well then.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Fellis posted:

Oh I just realized if FFG doesn't have their new Genesys rpg at Gencon, they'll definitely have it at PAX-UP!! Hell yes!

I'll buy into Genesys on the spot if the books cover running a game set in either Android or Twilight Imperium. And, yeah, I know I could run it in whatever but I want their setting material on the matter.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
I wonder if unplugged is going to mean a reduced or absent amount of tabletop gaming at the other PAXes. I hope not.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

alchahest posted:

I wonder if unplugged is going to mean a reduced or absent amount of tabletop gaming at the other PAXes. I hope not.

It's the opposite. There is so much request for more tabletop gaming at other PAXes that they made one just for it to handle the overload.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Max posted:

Oh, well then.

They'll probably have a cool event at PAX-UP though! Promos, hell yeah!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'll buy into Genesys on the spot if the books cover running a game set in either Android or Twilight Imperium. And, yeah, I know I could run it in whatever but I want their setting material on the matter.

FFG has this out and I bought it last year. Definitely worth it if you like the Android universe: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/21/the-worlds-of-android/ There's a huge fold-out in the center for a schematic of the Beanstalk and how it connects to Heinlein!

I don't know if they'll have any setting stuff specifically in Genesys, but they may have a few dozen pages in the back with ideas for specific genres. I'm looking forward to running a Weird West thing in it myself.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Have any of you attended the other PAX conventions and if so, do you mind explaining a bit of how they work as conventions? I am use to table top cons. Gen Con, Game Hole Con, Origins, Gary Con, etc., and all of these are ticket driven. From what I understand, PAX is totally line driven and I can't really conceptualize of how that is possibly a good idea for a tabletop con. How do the PAX cons work for events? How dealer hall based are the PAXs? What other quirks do they have compared to other tabletop cons?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nesbit37 posted:

Have any of you attended the other PAX conventions and if so, do you mind explaining a bit of how they work as conventions? I am use to table top cons. Gen Con, Game Hole Con, Origins, Gary Con, etc., and all of these are ticket driven. From what I understand, PAX is totally line driven and I can't really conceptualize of how that is possibly a good idea for a tabletop con. How do the PAX cons work for events? How dealer hall based are the PAXs? What other quirks do they have compared to other tabletop cons?

We know very little of how PAXUP will actually work. Our current info seems to be that, similar to all other PAXes, PAXUP will be line driven. No idea how this will work for a tabletop con, but it seems like a pretty dangerous ground to walk. From my experiences with PAXEAST, basically each event/panel has some tape on the ground marking where the line can be and if you can't step into line behind that tape you aren't in line. It's not great. Dealers are on the exhibition floor mixed in with the exhibitors. Basically, PAX is usually a clusterfuck and waiting in lots of lines.

But who knows how it will actually be. As is normal for PAX, they are giving basically no information and probably won't until the PAX before it ends (WEST runs Sept 1-4), so maybe the week after that we will see some useful info.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This sounds terrible, I am so excited! My strategy of "never actually gaming at a gaming convention" sounds like it will work out great though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

In the spirit of how goons organize at gencon, i created a groupme for Pax unplugged:
https://app.groupme.com/join_group/33309759/qHSJ5d

it will indeed likely be a clusterfuck this year and gently caress waiting in lines. I'd rather just play games after doing gencon.

The exception is the FFG line if they haven't already released Genesys or the 30th anniversary edition of Star Wars d6 roleplaying

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Sweet. Fellow goon Ilor and I will be there and neither of us hung with goons as much as we wanted to at Gencon.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
FYI, for those of you clueless on PAX cons like I am, I watched TheOneTar's videos on PAX prime from a couple years ago and feel better now. Really not looking forward to line based events though. I can't imagine them going to a ticketing system this late in the game so I am just going to assume this is how it's going to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNx4IRzcGqE

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

FYI, for those of you clueless on PAX cons like I am, I watched TheOneTar's videos on PAX prime from a couple years ago and feel better now. Really not looking forward to line based events though. I can't imagine them going to a ticketing system this late in the game so I am just going to assume this is how it's going to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNx4IRzcGqE
Here is what I have learned from this video:

• Lines

Also the video makes me wonder if this means the PAX Unplugged thing will be focusing everyone on actually engaging with playing tabletop/board games, which, you know, could be an interesting alternative to the things to which I am accustomed. Being the attendance of gaming conventions to do everything relating to games other than actually playing them.

Also I think she just said "olivator"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
site updated: http://unplugged.paxsite.com/features

not much new info other than the Alpha Area which I'm kinda excited to get in to

• Locked thread