Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
So i’m thinking the Field House for the Thursday meetup, around 7pm-9pm we’ll be there at least, but after that we may move to a different venue. Sound good?

The place being large and close to the convention center are big plusses so non-philly people don’t have to guess. Hopefully it isn’t mobbed by other convention folk with the same idea. Groupme is the most effective way to maintain contact with the goon herd in case of last minute plan changes. Join the groupme

I would appreciate if people who are even thinking about attending just emptyquote this post or ping me on groupme or whatever so I have some idea of headcount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IsotopeOrange
Jan 28, 2003

So when you visit a dealer booth, do they let you sample a few rounds of their games? I'm excited, but clueless and don't really know anything about these types of conventions.

I'm only going to be able to go on Saturday with my group, but I'd like to sample a variety of games. If you have to sit down, figure the game out, then play for an hour, it seems like won't be able to get more then a half-dozen games in.

Also, I've never heard of most of these publishers, and don't even know where to start. For reference, my wife and I love Viticulture, Scythe, and other "worker placement" games, but also enjoy the usual Splendor, Ticket to Ride, etc. That WW1 Horror game sounds exactly on the other end of our spectrum for games we'd be interested in. Any suggestions?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
field house sounds good to me, do we want a backup venue in case it is mobbed? Ill be there, regardless.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

So my badge showed up today, and reading through the paper thing that came with it I have a question for those of you that have gone to other PAXs. So the doors don't open till 10am apparently. It sounds like everyone has to go wait in the same area until 10 and then they start letting people in, and they were very clear in the letter that you can start lining up just to get in at 8am. So my questions are:
I literally stared open-mouthed at the like "dude who just threw together a party at the last-minute"ness of the quote on the official document along the lines of "yeah it's pretty crazy at 10 but by 11:30 you can probably get in no problem." Really? So... perhaps change your system if it is that bad? Ugh, I am so excited for this hot mess of a convention.

Also while in theory I could leave in time on Thursday to get to the meet-up, that would require me leaving in the early afternoon and ending up going through New York City at rush hour, which, uh, yeah that seems like I would then hate myself and possibly still barely make it there anyway. So I will probably come careening in around 10 P.M. instead, though something tells me I will still end up running into people from this thread then.

Soultron
Oct 22, 2008
Philly native here, this will be my first PAX (and first gaming convention in general, yikes) - I will totally attend whatever meet-up yall put together!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

IsotopeOrange posted:

So when you visit a dealer booth, do they let you sample a few rounds of their games? I'm excited, but clueless and don't really know anything about these types of conventions.

Any suggestions?

I can’t speak for the organization (:v:) of this convention, but the dealer area will definitely have little game demos set up. It is usually just the first turn or two and quickie rules taught by a volunteer, which is usually enough to get a feel for a modern game. They may also have game exhibition areas set up for the bigger publishers to keep the dealer hall less crowded.

As an aside, this con will also have a lot of miniatures and roleplaying games and probably general nerd gear so you may want to set aside some time just to walk around and gawk at people/stuff in the dealer area, that’s usually quite fun.

I’m not 100% on what new hotness games will be there that weren’t at gencon that you should look out for though, my tastes are on the hardcore economic (18xx, container, for-ex) side lately.

nesbit37 posted:

field house sounds good to me, do we want a backup venue in case it is mobbed? Ill be there, regardless.

Whatever the next closest place is. I’m gonna go asap (6:30 maybe?) to try to secure a table and a cool waitress, or at least one who will believe my promise of generous goon tips

Dr. Quarex posted:

So I will probably come careening in around 10 P.M. instead, though something tells me I will still end up running into people from this thread then.

We will be somewhere and I’ll keep groupme updated.

Soultron posted:

Philly native here, this will be my first PAX (and first gaming convention in general, yikes) - I will totally attend whatever meet-up yall put together!

Awesome!

IsotopeOrange
Jan 28, 2003

Fellis posted:

I can’t speak for the organization (:v:) of this convention, but the dealer area will definitely have little game demos set up. It is usually just the first turn or two and quickie rules taught by a volunteer, which is usually enough to get a feel for a modern game. They may also have game exhibition areas set up for the bigger publishers to keep the dealer hall less crowded.

As an aside, this con will also have a lot of miniatures and roleplaying games and probably general nerd gear so you may want to set aside some time just to walk around and gawk at people/stuff in the dealer area, that’s usually quite fun.

Terrific, thank you!

Personally I probably won't meet up with the goons as I'm going with some friends already, but the area has lots of good bar options. If anyone gets into the city early I definitely recommend going to Redding Terminal Market and getting breakfast from the Amish diner there.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Fellis posted:

Whatever the next closest place is. I’m gonna go asap (6:30 maybe?) to try to secure a table and a cool waitress, or at least one who will believe my promise of generous goon tips

I may beat you there by a fair bit. I'm done with work at 430 about a mile north of the convention center and I will have nothing better to do than just head there afterwards. I do have to meet the D&D people to get my badge from them but am hoping I can do that around 5. Will just update the group me if I get there super early and no one has stairs in their house.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Our flight lands at 7:30. We'll be in shortly thereafter, I'd imagine.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I’m not sure what people’s travel arrangements are in getting to Philly, 9pm isn’t a strict cutoff, so no rush. I just don’t want to guarentee we will still be at the Field House after 9 just in case. I will be somewhere and keep things updated here.

I’m staying with a friend who is busy that night so i have nothing better to do but hang around and talk to goons till like 10pm and then I think they will be joining me, so possibly even later.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Field House is so close to the convention center that I can't believe it won't be slammed. Destination Dogs or Strangelove's are far enough (three blocks) that I don't think they'll get destroyed immediately. That's my recommendation for a backup spot.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I may not be getting into Philly until after 9 but I'm staying right around the corner from Field House.. I'll see if I can make it if I'm relatively on time if folks are there.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

open_sketchbook posted:

I'm running my WW1 war horror system PATROL: The Trench Raiders, where everyone is a member of an elite infiltrator squad who sneaks over to the enemy trenches at night and hopefully doesn't die to poison gas and bullets.

I'm also doing a preview run of my similar-era air combat RPG Flying Circus, which uses a Powered by the Apocalypse framework to make an air game where you don't have to mess around with turn radiuses and poo poo.

Do you know when you're planning to run these? I'll be there Saturday, and would love a chance to play in either or both.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
aw yeah get to get into PAX at 9:45 instead of 10 suck it nerds :smuggo:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What day is your unpub slot, Kashuno?

Also, anyone have any must get to releases or vendors that are coming? I'm going to hit up Elzra at 9am on Friday for Catacombs but unless someone happens to have copies of Gloomhaven or Clans of Caledonia floating around I can't think of anything off hand to make sure I get to asap.

edit: Maaaaybe the new Necromunda if anyone has it at a particularly good deal...

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 13, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nesbit37 posted:

What day is your unpub slot, Kashuno?

Also, anyone have any must get to releases or vendors that are coming? I'm going to hit up Elzra at 9am on Friday for Catacombs but unless someone happens to have copies of Gloomhaven or Clans of Caledonia floating around I can't think of anything off hand to make sure I get to asap.

Ended up getting a Fri morning slot, which iirc is the same time slot you're there for? My game is a lot further from ready for publishers than I thought it would be in this window but whatever! Gonna try and make the best of it regardless.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yup, I'm there Friday AM as well.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Have you done an unpub before? I have absolutely no idea what to expect

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I was at a local unpub mini about 3 weeks ago, I've been to two game design meetups in Philly and was at one in Milwaukee this past Saturday. I talked to the founder of Unpub at the Unpub mini here in the Philly subburbs. Baisically you get to a table that you are assigned to, set up your stuff, put up a sell sheet and things, and then try and attract people to your table and play games with them. Make sure you know what kind of feedback you are looking for and have your feedback questions done ahead of time. Run them through the game or part of the game you want feedback on and then cycle them through to the next one.

Main thing is this event is supposed to be for you, the designer, to get good feedback while exposing people to potential future published games. In that respect, don't be a dick. Don't be a dick to the playtesters by running them through games that are not the kind they are generally into (this will also not get you good feedback), don't be a dick by wasting their time testing things in the game you don't want tested, and don't be a dick to the other designers by interrupting their tests or staying at your table longer than you should. The last one I am salty about because at the Unpub mini the guy in the morning slot on my table decided to keep testing through dinner and then through when my time slot started. They just gave me a different table, but it was super annoying.

Also, bring a sheet for people to sign up on for your games newsletter since you should have one at some point if you don't already.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That actually works great for me, because I don't really need to play a full game as much as I want to see some more recent changes to the game and how they interact. 1hr game but I should be able to get testing done in 20-30 minutes per session. Excited :toot:

PS goons who are there Friday morning come check out Nesbit's game and mine!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Sure, but can you explain it in terms of cards against humanity (my #1 game) mechanics so i can understand it

E: would saying munchkin instead be better or worse

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fellis posted:

Sure, but can you explain it in terms of cards against humanity (my #1 game) mechanics so i can understand it

E: would saying munchkin instead be better or worse

It’s like cards against humanity except with tiles instead of question cards, resource cubes instead of answer cards, and strategy instead of racism

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
holding out for the racism strategy game imho

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Archipelago.jpg

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Kashuno posted:

It’s like cards against humanity except with tiles instead of question cards, resource cubes instead of answer cards, and strategy instead of racism

Literally :lol:

Looking forward to Pax, even if working it. Pretty curious to see what shape this show takes.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So I'm super sad that it sounds like Mayfair games is/has folded and they won't be at PAX U. Now I need to find a copy of Iron Dragon before its impossible to get, blah.

Do we have a headcount for Thursday evening yet? As mentioned, I'll get to the Field House super early after work but if it is slammed or something Strangelove's is probably fine as a backup, though their size may be an issue if we need to head there.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't find anything about mayfair closing, except a couple rumors on BGG that are scattered between 'closing,' 'closing one office,' and 'merging'

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
This is the biggest clue: https://boardgametoday.com/mayfair-games-sees-layoffs-closed/

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Do we have a headcount for Thursday evening yet? As mentioned, I'll get to the Field House super early after work but if it is slammed or something Strangelove's is probably fine as a backup, though their size may be an issue if we need to head there.

I’m thinking like 6-8 but that may be quite spread out. It seems like a few willing people are gonna be getting into philly late and I assume there will be some attrition to “travel-exhausting-gently caress-that-itis”

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I will probably be exploring a bit of philly with some other buddies coming in from out of town that night and then gotta be prepped for the morning, so I won't make it out Thurs night.

Looks like TI4 hits street date on Thursday meaning if any goons want a chance to actually get a game in..

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Oh hi I'll be an Enforcer for this. If you're picking up your passes at will call on Thursday morning I'll be one of the people working it, after that I hide behind a computer screen to moderate the Twitch chat for the streams (Main Theater and Dragon Theater are being streamed). I've been to every East, and Enforced all but the first one.

On an unrelated note, this will be my first time outside of New England since April 26, 1996, which is when I got back from my 8th grade trip to DC, and my first time spending more than one night in a row outside of Massachusetts since a camping trip to Acadia National Park in 1999. I don't travel much :goleft:

Kashuno posted:

aw yeah get to get into PAX at 9:45 instead of 10 suck it nerds :smuggo:

I have to be there at 9am :smugdog:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Digital swag bags are in and, at least for me, the coupons all suck.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Digital swag bags are in and, at least for me, the coupons all suck.

Can confirm, plus I had to download their dumb app (which is just guidebook but separated for some reason) and to redeem any of the dumb ”swag” you have to additionally supply your email address for them to sell to sponsors

All the “swag” is just 5-20% off various booths and maybe a promo if you make a purchase. So fuckin stupid.

But i think it’s funny they are doing a digital reward for the unplugged convention

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Contents of said swag bag:

10% off next purchase at Green Robin online store (PAXUNPLUGGED2017)
Free pair of dragon dice with any Epyllion purchase (booth #442).
Earn Finn Bucks! Come to booth 357 to earn 'Finn Bucks' which are reedemable toward the purchase of Dr. Finn's game (up to 50%). Valid only during convention.
Dice sale: $35 Opalite set, or $65 engraved Opalite set. Visit MDG booth #238.
Stop by booth 409 to enter a raffle!
Sell your cards and minis at CoolStuffInc booth #1125 and get free $5 cash.
Get CrossTalk 40% off - Booth #219
Visit White Wizard Games Booth #833 for Free Star Realms App Code & Promo Card
Free Whoopi Promo Card with purchase of Last Friday/expansion at booth #1015.
Backers of the Carolina Game Table get a special gift at booth #349.
Get a free character expansion when you visit booth #533 for the game Unknown.
FREE GAME! 300 copies of TMG's OKEY DOKEY. Must use app to redeem.
GigaM!C - Get a free bonus tin game free at booth 209 with purchase of a game.
Demo a Grey Fox game, get $5 off. Booth #915.
$5 off Darkness Comes Rattling - Wyrd Games Booth #725
Free Gaming Stuff(?) at Booth #303, Petersen Games.
Stronghold Games - Enter to win a free copy of SPACE FREAKS.
Anvil Eight Games for 10% off every purchase at PAX, booth #849.
Stop by Studio 2 for a FREE Promo card! Limit 1 per person. Booth 233.
$5 off Robit Riddle at booth #143.
Get 'The Giant Runesmith', a FREE game from the 2CGaming booth #1156.
Come to booth #203 and ask how to win a TREASURE TROVE of games courtesy of GTM!
Get $5 off and a free promo with every game at Fireside games, booth #1048.
ICE COOL special price $30+3 promo card decks FOR FREE! Booth #829
Spend $50 or more at the Crafty Games Booth (#117) and receive a FREE Promo Pack.
Visit Smirk & Dagger at booth #848 for $5 off.
PAX Unplugged Merchandise Reward Tiers.
Visit booth #224 for a demo and 15% off Arena Rex.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Contents of swag bag:

• Digital middle finger

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

nesbit37 posted:

Contents of said swag bag:

Free pair of dragon dice with any Epyllion purchase (booth #442).
Visit White Wizard Games Booth #833 for Free Star Realms App Code & Promo Card
Free Whoopi Promo Card with purchase of Last Friday/expansion at booth #1015.
Get a free character expansion when you visit booth #533 for the game Unknown.
FREE GAME! 300 copies of TMG's OKEY DOKEY. Must use app to redeem.
Free Gaming Stuff(?) at Booth #303, Petersen Games.
Stop by Studio 2 for a FREE Promo card! Limit 1 per person. Booth 233.
Get 'The Giant Runesmith', a FREE game from the 2CGaming booth #1156.

Generously, these are the ones that can be considered swag, and not just a coupon.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Out of Office on
Prototype packed
Ready for this disaster let’s GO

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, I'm also all packed, waiting for a friend to show up with loaner baggage and a ride to the bus terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Hoo boy, this should be a fun weekend. Heading there with my company--going to be tied to my booth the vast majority of the weekend. If you see a guy with extremely round glasses manning the Sumer booth or demo table come say hi--we'll be the one digital board game showing here, I think.

• Locked thread