Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
The thing with using the NJ-side hotels and PATCO is you'll need a car; there aren't any hotels in walking distance of any NJ station I can think of, and uber/taxis are much less of a thing in south Jersey. If you will have a car, there are lots of hotels in the Mount Laurel area which is like a 5-minute drive to PATCO's Woodcrest station off I-295. PATCO runs 24/7 unlike the PA-side Regional Rail service. Although in the middle of the night it may be like 40 minutes between trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am still sort of surprised there is apparently money in running conventions. I always figured they were loss-leading events, so to speak.

Being an exhibitor at a convention can be a loss-leading thing, since you in theory might make enough outside of the con through additional buzz, product awareness, new customers to pay for any losses that exhibiting cost, but if the con itself is losing money it's going to shut down quickly unless they have a plan to change that.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Fellis posted:

We're all gonna show up and there will just be refugee tents and cheese sandwiches cheesesteaks Fyre Festival style

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

So isn't reserving a seat via Kickstarter reward basically doing what PAX said you couldn't do: selling tickets to the game?

I want PAX Unplugged to succeed, but I'm starting to think at least the first year they're going to end up being an object lesson in how not to run this type of con. "Remember the first year when they couldn't even calculate the tax correctly? And that was just the start of the issues..."

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

The only difference I see is this way PAX can keep it at arms length. Still claim your badge gets you into everything for free and they don't have to worry about managing some ticket system or dealing with complaints directly because it was this other group running the games and their weird kickstarter instead of doing it all through PAX.

I guess my point was does PAX know your group is doing that? If I didn't know about the Kickstarter and waited in line for an event that was already mostly filled by backers I'd be pretty unhappy and bitching at PAX about it since it's all supposed to be line-based. Why would I as a generic PAX attendee even know anything about your group? "I was third in line at the D&D area and the table was already filled up!"

Please don't take this as an attack on your group. You're essentially trying to follow the proven GenCon model without the support of the host, who I'm guessing assumes DMs will volunteer their time for love of the game.

Kashuno posted:

It will probably be fine, but not thanks to PAX themselves.

I know I'll probably be fine. I'm a board gamer mostly interested in pickup games so all I need is a flat surface, and that flat surface could be at the convention center, at the Field House, the nearby Chili's, or wherever.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

There's no Chessex booth(s). :eek:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Ticket sales seem to be going well, no need to give away...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'd like to spend time with goons at this con since I've always said I'd do that at Gencon and never have. :(

Going to suggest the staple of the GenCon thread: join the GroupMe group if you want to meet up with goons for games. Also bring a phone battery pack since goons are chatty creatures. https://app.groupme.com/join_group/33309759/qHSJ5d

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

What, no Hop Sing Laundromat? Not that goons (including me) would be able to survive its "no cell phone use" policy.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Ilor posted:

gently caress you guys, if the food is good enough, I'll turn that poo poo off in a heartbeat.

No food. No credit cards. No shorts or sneakers. But apparently amazing cocktails. One day I’ll make it there.

https://philly.eater.com/2017/5/19/15663482/hop-sing-laundromat-chinatown-bar-cocktails

It was also named one of the 30 greatest bars in the World by Condé Nast Traveller.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Fellis posted:

Oh okay, cool *slowly pushes bag of 6 hour train games back under table* no problem dude

E: the answer is you play enough games and you start seeing the eurogame code, matrix-style. Then you get into the hard poo poo to chase that game high, which unfortunately takes longer to do, sometimes.

I just bought some real nerdy opaque boardgames which hopefully take under 2 hours though!

And yet I got you to play my copy of Batman Love Letters at the bar last night.

So far this isn’t the train wreck I was expecting; feels a bit like a 1/3-scale Gen Con with actual space in the aisle and line discipline actually being kept the Enforcers so booths don’t impact other booths. Of course, I’m also trying to figure out what to do now that I’ve done the dealer hall once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

If they don't have a better system for organized gaming I may just do a 1-day ticket next year (assuming it's in Philly). System wasn't terrible for people who had their own game crews they came with, but I didn't realize how much I depended on the ticketed games at Gen Con to actually have some structured gaming time when going solo. The closest PAXU came was their "learn to play" room which was often/usually fully booked.

I did the dealer hall on Friday afternoon and had no idea what to do after. If I was with others I could snag a game from the games library/classic cardboard room and play or play stuff we brought with us, but walking the aisles looking for games that need players was more of a pain than I really wanted to deal with.

• Locked thread