Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How chinese is Taiwan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Not high school but a (around 30 years old) guy in a tutorial place:
He's such a red pill retard. To be fair he's built as hell and I'd do anything to have a body like his (except diet and exercise, obviously) but in one lesson he's saying things about punching me/a teacher in examples before saying he's joking, (like I say "can you give me an example question 1?" And he replies "can I give you punches for it?? Nah, nah only joking."; he asks me normal student questions, then adds "not that I mean to challenge you or anything"; asked me if I would have an arm wrestle with him after class, and was telling a delightful story in one of the "discuss with your partner" bits about him threatening debt collecters with a big stick daring them to enter his home, followed by "true story" said looking directly at me; another punches comment because "the teacher is spying on us" (actually monitoring); constantly going on about how much he hates his entire family. He was sat next to probably one of the hottest female students the whole time. I think he was trying to show he was more manly than the authority figure to get into her underwear, is that a red pill thing?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 20, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

John Smith posted:

Is it possible that it is your fault? If there are 2 independent incidents. Because then it seem likely that it is either you or the environment (Asian culture).

As a racial Chinese, I wonder if you might have accidentally crossed a line without even realising it. For example, if you sided with the truth / what is right against her, even though she is your friend. Because there is a certain expectation that you side with your friends even when it is morally wrong. How strong this feeling is held depends on the specific culture, of course. But I imagine China being very Chinese, they probably have this real hardcore.

In this case, it is not me. I have never had an interaction with this person that could be perceived as negative, even by some weird and inexplicable twist of culture clash. I know when I overstep bounds, and with her, I have not, unless she is a really amazing actress (she isn't.)

I definitely don't mesh with "Asian culture," which I did not know was a monolithic entity, but this has nothing to do with that fact. And the girl in Korea was straight crackers crazy; she snapped on me because she didn't like the game I had chosen that day and from then on it was sheer hell.

I don't think this is my fault. I think I was a good scapegoat. I also will not be addressing this again; I just wanted to make a note for the sake of the thread.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

JaucheCharly posted:

How chinese is Taiwan?

This is a really broad question that could mean lots of different things, so the answer could be "very" or "not at all" or "somewhat" or "mildly."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

John Smith posted:

Is it possible that it is your fault? If there are 2 independent incidents. Because then it seem likely that it is either you or the environment (Asian culture).
Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Okay, time to yell "BYE BYE!!!!!"

Thank you to all the goons who contributed. I honestly learned a lot and I'm really happy that people helped answer a lot of the questions in this thread.

If anyone else wants to ask a question, I have PMs.

have a smoggy day!

• Locked thread