Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

occamsnailfile posted:

Are you referring to the high school campus?

College campus in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
yo chengdu goons i got my ticket to chengdu i will be there from the evening of june 1st to the afternoon of june 4th. hope you guys are free that friday night or saturday to do something, if not, at least tell me cool stuff to do. i'm p excited to go to chengdu, another one off ye olde bucket list

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Great Autismo! posted:

yo chengdu goons i got my ticket to chengdu i will be there from the evening of june 1st to the afternoon of june 4th. hope you guys are free that friday night or saturday to do something, if not, at least tell me cool stuff to do. i'm p excited to go to chengdu, another one off ye olde bucket list

bweeeee!

We also have a Chengoon wechat group; have someone in main Chinagoon chat invite you.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

also, there is a book written by a few pilots called "Flying Upside Down" and it is about flying in China for a few years. It is supposedly a super harrowing read and I refuse to read it while I live in China.

Here it is.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/273231452/Flying-Upside-Down-pdf

I will say that I will only fly Korean Air or Japan Airlines or Air Nippon or Hong Kong flight in China. And I'm usually flying them out of the country, mainly to Seoul, to catch a connection to Japan or the United States.

Pretty much everyone says "DO. NOT. FLY. CHINESE. AIRLINES."

Lmao that book is hilarious but super loving racist.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

bweeeee!

We also have a Chengoon wechat group; have someone in main Chinagoon chat invite you.

ya as it gets closer I'll reach out

ThomasPaine posted:

Lmao that book is hilarious but super loving racist.

idk I haven't read it, I'm always a bit skeptical these days about everything being "super racist" but this has seemed to get a lot of backlash so maybe it's really bad. I dunno, do people think poorly made in China was super racist?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Seems like if you wanted to figure out which country's airlines are more dangerous you should be looking up statistics instead of reading a book by a pilot

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Like I just spent about 15 minutes looking up stuff on Google and it looks like Chinese airlines have been safer than Korean ones in the past 20 years, but both seem pretty freakin safe compared to literally anything else you use to get around

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

And actually American Airlines seems particularly bad. Did you know one of their flights crashed and killed 1700 people in one go?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

Seems like if you wanted to figure out which country's airlines are more dangerous you should be looking up statistics instead of reading a book by a pilot

what if you just wanted to read a book by a pilot who flew for chinese airlines and actually don't care about statistics? because i honestly could not care less about flight statistics but i am often quite intrigued by human experiences. you know, like people who actually understand how to function in a society are

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

So read the book I don't care. I'm just saying making decisions like that makes more sense when they're based on stats instead of entertainment

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

So read the book I don't care. I'm just saying making decisions like that makes more sense when they're based on stats instead of entertainment

how many people in this thread do you think make decisions of what airlines to fly based on the booming industry of "chinese commercial airline review and entertainment"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

idk I haven't read it, I'm always a bit skeptical these days about everything being "super racist" but this has seemed to get a lot of backlash so maybe it's really bad. I dunno, do people think poorly made in China was super racist?

'The hospitals in China are loving scary. Besides the fact that there is a heavy element of “ooga booga” to their practice of medicine, they are also a bunch of dirty pigs. So, from dried lizards on a stick to eggs boiled in urine, you run the gamut of half-baked remedies and plain- ol’ down- home crazy-rear end poo poo. Have fun with all that.' (p.255)

I'm no perpetually offended crybaby but seriously some of the stuff is bonkers racist. Like they're often making decent points about how lovely China is in some respects but seem unable to do so without a hefty dose of 'lol look at these crass primitives'. They obviously see themselves as the civilised westerners amongst the savages. No lets not see the socio-political and cultural context obviously Chinese people are just dirty and stupid and lazy.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ThomasPaine posted:

'The hospitals in China are loving scary.

this is true, i was waiting at the hospital in line to get my ear looked at and there were people spitting on the floor and smoking next to me and and it was just insanely unsanitary and it was actually the moment, i can pinpoint the exact spit where it happened, that i realized i could not raise my son in china

ThomasPaine posted:

Besides the fact that there is a heavy element of “ooga booga” to their practice of medicine

this is true a decent amount of the time, from my experience. sometimes it takes me a few times to get a proper diagnosis when i have ear infections.

ThomasPaine posted:

they are also a bunch of dirty pigs.

this is deplorable and really bad.

ThomasPaine posted:

So, from dried lizards on a stick to eggs boiled in urine, you run the gamut of half-baked remedies and plain- ol’ down- home crazy-rear end poo poo. Have fun with all that.' (p.255)

i usually just get antibiotics but i know sometimes people think this.

like idk, i've had some hilariously bad hospital experiences in china. but calling people dirty pigs is pretty loving reprehensible. thanks for posting, like i said, i haven't read it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'm not reading that book because I'm already terrified of flying and don't need more encouragement, and also because that quote is loving disgusting.

That said, last time I went to a hospital here, it was in a dirty, unlit room with no windows and about ten elderly women who were just watching patients get examined. The person with me to translate tried to get them to leave, but it was just too interesting. That sucked pretty hard. Then again, this wasn't a hospital in the city, so I wasn't that surprised.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Devils Affricate posted this in the GBS thread:

Top China schools test parents for IQ, ancestors' grades, and 'obesity' on enrollment

My boss likes to go to other schools in Chengdu and pretend she's thinking about enrolling an imaginary grandchild there so that she can scope out what they're doing and what books and stuff they have (this usually leads to her throwing some insane half-Chinese half-English vocabulary book at us and telling us to use it in our classes as a guide, which we all ignore) and saw some of this. In addition to academic requirements, students had to be a certain height, and if they weren't deemed attractive enough, they couldn't enter the program. Sort of harsh when you realize the school is K-12 and a lot of otherwise smart, awesome kids probably get shafted out during their awkward phase.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
it seems a little mean to force 2 generations to pass a test to admit a child, since it makes it harder for kids to bootstrap their way out of a bad life in the countryside
unless being thin has equal weight (hehe) on the assessment as having a high IQ

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's really hosed up but makes sense as a way to entrench the aristocracy. China killed the aristocrats and has only had private property for a couple decades so to get a real good permanent upper class they need to do some work.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
Starving at the ages of 7-13 increases obesity risk of one's children and grandchildren. Obviously it's not the only factor, but the grandchildren of anyone who starved in the great leap forward have that much extra to overcome. 20% of Chinese kids are overweight or obese and more than 10% will get diabetes in their lifetime. The Chinese medical system is going to collapse under the health care costs. The government is really trying to address the issue but they're cargo culting the west on policies that don't even work in the west. They blame it on too many calories and fast food while completely ignoring the poisonous kinds of oil used in Chinese cooking are extra loving bad when paired with white rice at every meal. Oil and rice at every meal used to be associated with corrupt party officials screwing over starving peasant, so now of course everyone needs them all the time.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Well, it doesn't help that they're literally fed slop at school and spend the rest of the day eating either potato chips or instant noodles. Those are seriously the only foods I see kids eating during they day. Instant ramen for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Most of the foods I see offered to the kids- whether it's at a store, or the campus bakery, or the actual cafeteria- are sugary and/or starches. If the kids are lucky enough to get food delivered, it's always a totally meat-filled hotpot kind of deal, or more noodles/dumplings.

I have suggested having a fruit bowl for kids to pick from because that's at least better than instant noodles, but the idea was rejected as "too expensive." Meanwhile, my boss put an eight-foot mounted canvas of the Statue of Liberty in the hallway. Good use of resources, there.

e: This article is about South Korea, but I'd be surprised if a similar thing isn't happening or doesn't happen here.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

how many people in this thread do you think make decisions of what airlines to fly based on the booming industry of "chinese commercial airline review and entertainment"

Well, you're the one that said it so I'm talking to you.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Well, it doesn't help that they're literally fed slop at school and spend the rest of the day eating either potato chips or instant noodles. Those are seriously the only foods I see kids eating during they day. Instant ramen for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Most of the foods I see offered to the kids- whether it's at a store, or the campus bakery, or the actual cafeteria- are sugary and/or starches. If the kids are lucky enough to get food delivered, it's always a totally meat-filled hotpot kind of deal, or more noodles/dumplings.

I have suggested having a fruit bowl for kids to pick from because that's at least better than instant noodles, but the idea was rejected as "too expensive." Meanwhile, my boss put an eight-foot mounted canvas of the Statue of Liberty in the hallway. Good use of resources, there.

e: This article is about South Korea, but I'd be surprised if a similar thing isn't happening or doesn't happen here.

Capex vs opex, my dude.

Dangeresque
Dec 6, 2008
Sorry but I wanted to add my two cents to the hospital chat. I remember going for a health check so I could extend my visa here in China and not being too impressed with the hospital, for me it was waiting in a sort of breezeway watching a man holding up his five year old son so he could pee into a trash can. The buildings can be really dirty if you go to a hospital outside a major city, but they're not all horror stories and the the staff were pretty good. I had to get blood drawn and the woman opened a kit with new needle and gloves and all the things that I would expect to see at a hospital, it's just that the waiting room looked like a bus station.

Which is a big contrast from the health check I had in Korea, which was in this gleaming immaculately clean hospital, with a woman at a big table who alternated drawing people's blood and dipping the litmus paper into the urine samples with no gloves on whatsoever.

Personally, if I could only pick one, I'd rather be in a dingy building where the staff put on new gloves for each patient.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah, Korea is well noted for being bad.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

Well, you're the one that said it so I'm talking to you.

i was just saying there's a book here you can read that is supposed to be pretty crazy about pilots in china, after a guy mentioned pilot training with chinese students. i wasn't saying "please use this book as gospel for making decisions about traveling in china"

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
why do i even bother responding to you

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

EVERYONE LOVE EACH OTHER RIGHT NOW.

I gotta say, having a blue sky day is a nice change.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i actually really like fart simpson, i had a wonderful time with him at Beertopia in Hong Kong last winter and then we watched sports together and i decided if he ever runs for public office i would vote for him

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
to pretend like im on-topic, it's currently 35 degrees in shanghai and im imagining a dirty concrete classroom full of jacket-wearing people with no AC

body odor just demolishing you while you try to focus on a lesson plan

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i was just saying there's a book here you can read that is supposed to be pretty crazy about pilots in china, after a guy mentioned pilot training with chinese students. i wasn't saying "please use this book as gospel for making decisions about traveling in china"

No you're saying you used that book as input for your own decisions about traveling in china

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

LentThem posted:

to pretend like im on-topic, it's currently 35 degrees in shanghai and im imagining a dirty concrete classroom full of jacket-wearing people with no AC

body odor just demolishing you while you try to focus on a lesson plan

Yeah, you're not far off. Our coworkers have given up on the parkas, but I see plenty of people walking the streets in winter jackets, hats, and gloves. It's easily above 30 today.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

occamsnailfile posted:

That is extremely weird. The Chinese kids I deal with are all applying to pay non-resident tuition in the US with no financial aid so I guess the expense of 'go to Thailand to take the SAT' isn't that big a deal but I did not realize it was generally unavailable on the mainland. Is the TOEFL still offered widely? What about the GRE?

Man do my applicants bitch about having to take the TOEFL. Even when they can barely stutter out a sentence to me on the phone.

I tutored a HK kid, went to one of the top international schools, his mum was freaking out about registration for the SAT because while it can be sat here, his school didn't offer them (tiger mum, he took ACT as well) and mainlanders coming to private exam centres just to sit the SAT fill up places fast, to the point she was doing that 'getting tickets for sellout concert' thing of sitting up at midnight desperately refreshing the page

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's an enormous SAT test center right next to the Hong Kong airport for mainland kids, a bunch of my students went to that one.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Do you all have any context into how good or bad the undergrad programs at top tier universities in China are, ie Tsinghua, Peking, or Fudan? All of the Chinese immigrants who do end up working in the US always originally went there.

PS: I would not underestimate the Taiwanese elite in management ability, education, and being able to actually do business. The ones who deal with China can sometimes be shitheads but as a whole Taiwan is not as bad as Mainland China in education and stuff.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ntan1 posted:

Do you all have any context into how good or bad the undergrad programs at top tier universities in China are, ie Tsinghua, Peking, or Fudan? All of the Chinese immigrants who do end up working in the US always originally went there.

PS: I would not underestimate the Taiwanese elite in management ability, education, and being able to actually do business. The ones who deal with China can sometimes be shitheads but as a whole Taiwan is not as bad as Mainland China in education and stuff.

they are trending up for sure, which is really good for china and important as the country continues to develop and become a player in a globalised world, but they have a long way to go. the entire system needs to be torn down and started over from scratch, but that won't happen while the party is in power.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tell me about the kids who are absent from school for weeks so they can have plastic surgery.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ntan1 posted:

Those ones are sort of okay. I still wouldn't trust a degree from them but it's a lot more likely to be legit than anywhere else. China does the same thing as Korea in having three acceptable universities and everything else is considered poo poo. I have read those three universities have actual classes and stuff. :eyepop:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

Those ones are sort of okay. I still wouldn't trust a degree from them but it's a lot more likely to be legit than anywhere else. China does the same thing as Korea in having three acceptable universities and everything else is considered poo poo. I have read those three universities have actual classes and stuff. :eyepop:

I worked at one of those three (in korea) and can assure you that tho they have actual classes it's basically just a shiny facade

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what does everyone in this thread think about hot pot

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what does everyone in this thread think about hot pot
Don't eat the one with the spicy soup, unless you already had it before. May go badly for you.

And if you are asking for China specifically, given how poo poo the other posters have made it sound, I would request for individual pots instead of a communal pot for hygiene reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Hotpot is the 5-piece suit of fondues.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 11, 2017

• Locked thread