Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Warbird posted:

I proposed at once such place, so take that as you will. Pretty sure the party present booked it for the "on the tin" use though.

Edit - I also asked for her father's permission while more than slightly drunk. China is weird.

Her father was the one buying the baijiu at the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what does everyone in this thread think about hot pot

HotPot is awesome, and Hai Di Lao is open 24 hours. You can take advantage of that.

Get half spicy / half non-spicy communal pot, and there's nothing better for hanging out with friends.

Also, you can buy the HotPot elements and pots relatively cheaply, pre-made sauces and spices in supermarkets, and the international baggage allowances for most Chinese airlines is 46kg.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
My only experience with English teachers in China was back in April 2012, when, out with friends at dinner. There was a 17 year old kid there, determined to practice her English, who later asked to borrow my phone, as hers had ran out of battery, and she said needed to send a message to her English teacher. I didn't mind, but later when I saw there had been 50+ messages sent back and forth, curiosity got the better of me, and I invaded her privacy to read what she had written on my phone.

English Teacher from England posted:

You want to become sexier?

Pupil posted:

I want to more big.

English Teacher posted:

But you want to leave me

Pupil posted:

Because you treat me not in well. :-)

English Teacher posted:

Do you really want to be big or do you want to be big because you want me?

Pupil posted:

Both, maybe
Yes.I want u. But if you treat me not good. Even if I want u. I still can leave u. :-)

English Teacher posted:

When will you buy a new bra? I guess putting my cum on your breasts didn't make them grow

Pupil posted:

What r u want to say?

English Teacher posted:

I really want to see you in a bra that's the correct size

Pupil posted:

:-) .think about this way.I want to give a chance.to u. So Right know I won't leave u. But if u still treat me not good. Like before. I really will find another man. :-)

English Teacher posted:

You still need to wait until June

Pupil posted:

I think have someone willing to wait to June.

English Teacher posted:

You looked thinner today :-P and you seemed determined to show me you cleavage

It goes on.....

One thing I couldn't believe was the total lack of surprise when I rather hesitantly asked if this was OK for teachers in China? People assured me it was fine, and that the head-teacher of a local English school had married one of his pupils, and they knew of several other teachers who had dated pupils.

Granted, this was in a Tier 2 city, but, is this something that's acceptable or something that you've experienced in your schools?

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any market for an entirely western run english school in China that actually correctly teaches english and preps students for western universities? Or would that be illegal to open/operate?

Well, according to the first result from a google search on restrictions for foreign companies in china,

1421 consulting, May 2016 blogpost posted:

Since many Western recent graduates start as English teachers in China, setting up a school might seem like a good way of improving their career. The restriction means, however, that the institution which provides the education must be in a joint venture with a Chinese party. Not only that, but the school’s headmaster or chief administrator must be a Chinese national as well. Lastly, the Chinese party should account for at least half of the members of the board of directors. In layman terms, this means that a school cannot be set-up by foreigners alone and a Chinese partner must be found.

• Locked thread