Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Flying Upside Down would probably be more interesting if I knew how to fly airplanes--I'm not directly knocking him for this but he uses a lot of jargon to describe the specifics of what's going on in his anecdotes, so I found myself skipping paragraphs that I just didn't understand. It's not the whole thing that's like that, there are plenty of stories that revolve around people not listening to instructions, or getting stupidly huffy with each other in the office.

He does refer to one of the airline employees as the HNIC so, yeahhhh.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Here in Best China the schools that are (theoretically) properly run and teach to Western standards, aiming to produce well-rounded students who will get into American or European universities on honest merit are the international schools, which are only open to foreign passport holders. A lot of their students are dual-citizen holders of both Taiwanese and American or U.K. passports, sometimes because their parents deliberately flew to LA to have them. They're pretty good--not that they don't have their problems, but any high school can have problems. For the most part they have hiring standards comparable to schools in western countries, or stricter. They do pretty good work. Every so often you get a kid coming out of one of them who's been in an English environment so long they've forgotten how to read and/or speak Chinese.

Teaching in a public high school here also has tighter standards than most jobs, so I haven't heard much about how it is, outside of some anecdotes from people who have done substitute work and said it seemed pretty much like a high school class in any country.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I read that as meaning "tropical island country" tbh and even that's only really true for some parts of Taiwan in my experience

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

JaucheCharly posted:

How chinese is Taiwan?

This is a really broad question that could mean lots of different things, so the answer could be "very" or "not at all" or "somewhat" or "mildly."

• Locked thread