Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are there noticeable differences between private and public schools in China? The company I'm interviewing with would have me teaching high school to college-aged students in 'government-owned public schools' similar to boarding schools near Beijing.

Do you have personal preferences on teaching locations within mainland China?

e: Does it help that I've studied Chinese in college before, albeit currently really rusty with it? How many months of remedial study would put me in good shape before moving abroad (ie before the Fall)?

e2: How would you compare mainland China to India? After living in rural India for a few months, I'm used to everything feeling like an overpopulated clusterfuck and honestly miss that feeling of general craziness. (Could never get used to squatter toilets for some reason, though. :whitewater:)

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm really enjoying the thread, thanks for making it. :) I'm interviewing with a company based in Beijing for English teaching either in the summer or fall this year.

That said, I have a few questions:

1.) With how prevalent smoking is in China, do you ever have issues with underage students using tobacco/alcohol? What do you do if you catch them with possession in school? Is there a different cultural approach to underage smoking/drinking in China versus America (ex: that PSA ad with Grandpa Zhou passing alcohol to junior)?

2.) What do you do to remember students' names as a newer teacher? I'm a visual memory-kind of person, so it can be a struggle for me with remembering names. :shobon:

3.) If you had to choose, is there any one thing you really wish you should have known in preparing before coming to China? Or to expect after getting there?

Thanks! Appreciate the stories and responses.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 21, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Great Autismo! posted:

if you don't mind me asking what company are you applying for in beijing?

MindXplorer. An alumni friend from college referred me to them and recommended it. They seem like a good outfit.

Grand Fromage posted:

That's not too uncommon, Cao and Gan are two common surnames that can also mean gently caress in the correct tone.

One of my favorite 'naughty words' phrases in Chinese I learned in the past from roommates was that 'da feiji/打飞机' literally means "to hit the airplane" which is slang for male masturbation. :haw:

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Chinese university is a four-year party, just as in Korea or Japan. After killing yourself to get in, you coast. When we tell the students that Western universities are usually a lot more demanding than high schools, they don't believe us. Hard lessons await.

Also, haha holy poo poo if this isn't the truth. East Asian educational/career standards are practically Calvinist in pre-determining the 'winners' and 'losers' in society for the rest of your life after picking the right college (and the feeder high school/middle schools that fed you to them) and everyone knows it.

I know this was definitely the case in Korea when I did a spring break scholarship cultural exchange-esque program with college kids at Yonsei University in Seoul, and one of the Korean guys I hung out with at a neighboring uni admitted that "we party so hard for four years because we know we'll be slaves for the company for the rest of our lives."

That was certainly illuminating/horrifying to hear! :stonk:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 22, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

- One boy picking his nose and eating it with such intensity that he's sucking on his fingers and gnawing the goop out from underneath his nails. For 90 straight minutes. This is better than his popping zits and eating the contents, which is what he was doing in class on Wednesday.

Hahaha oh god, I literally did the :stonklol: face with a mixture of chuckling and revulsion.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Not strictly TESOL related, but are those knife attacks on schools in China relatively isolated?

What causes people to go mental like that in China? Do ESL schools have emergency plans in place in case of an attack besides barbed wiring/shattered glass on the walls? Are the foreign teachers made aware and prepared for these contingencies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Do schools typically have a/c? How is teaching in the winter/summer versus spring/fall (especially around Beijing)?

• Locked thread