Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The people with no known title and no recognizable function at the school is a pretty common thing. When I worked in Zhengzhou at a college there was a guy who had the title of director who did nothing but drink baijiu and sit at a desk, staring off into space as he nursed his last hangover. All he did was drink in a dining room made specifically for him, his assistants, and the Communist Party apparatus at the campus. He would also try to get us all black out drunk at the mandatory banquets we had to go to for every Chinese and American holiday. We also had a useless office assistant who was supposed to help us do things, go to the bank, order things online, etc. because most the teachers spoke very little Chinese and couldn't do it for themselves. She was goony as gently caress and just browsed the computer all day or napped. She was the daughter of a former dean or something and since he died she got the iron rice bowl. We had an assistant who did help us, usually an intern who was rarely paid*, as is the custom in China, and they were always awesome.

At an international school in Shanghai I taught at, a notable school where some of those "great" test scores come from, there was a librarian who was a complete and incompetent goon. He just smoked cigarettes and talked about motorcycles all the time and was mean to everyone in an entitled manchild way. His dad was the dean before the current dean or something and he got to sit in the library all day and smoke out on the side of the building instead of the designated smoke lounge. It was a well to do international school too so it wasn't the standard, smoke in any hallway you want situation. All the kids hated him too because he was always an rear end in a top hat to them as well. I just thought it was because we were foreign or because a couple of the teachers were serious alcoholics, drug addicts, or physically abusive with their girlfriends but the kids just told me he's just mean and useless.

Not to self diagnose but I wouldn't be surprised if both of them were on the spectrum because they didn't seem to get social cues in either Chinese or English and Chinese people would just rip them apart in public or private for their behavior. It's more likely they were just spoiled and never had to develop socially because their parents did everything for them and they never developed during the brief period of quasi-independence they get in college.

*It's super common for people to never get paid on time in China in the education sector. Assistants and teachers at state schools would go months without a paycheck.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I once saw an 8 year old kid walking down the street with a teddy bear in one hand and taking a drag on a cigarette with the other. The other kids with him were smoking too. That's about the extent of underaged smoking I saw but that was in Zhengzhou.

I don't think most Chinese people realize that Rios are alcohol because of how weak they are. They're wine coolers with ≤4% alc. I've seen young girls drinking them in Shanghai but usually only one so they're maybe getting buzzed.

You probably won't see much of that in Beijing other than the Rios because it's practically a model city. Go to the countryside or a tier 3 and you see more of young kids drinking and smoking, although it's rare. It's more like the 60's in America in terms of alcohol, cigarettes, and social awareness.

Underaged drinking isn't really a problem among kids in school because it's not a social taboo like in America and kids don't mythologize it. Getting a nip during Spring Festival is not that much different than the type of poo poo that goes on in Western nations during the holidays.

Usually hardcore drinking doesn't start until people are in a career and there's a social expectation to drink jet fuel until you pass out. Even then, that's mostly in the North. People in the South don't have the same drinking culture. Most school kids are too busy studying and having their individuality stripped away to keep up a drinking habit. Their life is pretty much over if they don't pass or do well on the tests they have to take so they focus on those instead of having a good time or whatever. In ZZ it's common to get sold off by your parents to a dangerous factory like a fireworks factory if you don't make it into high school. It's crazy how much is on the line even before the gaokao.

The same goes for cigarettes because there are more campaigns to cut down on smoking and people know they're bad for them now. They also often have a 20's outlook on smoking too so girls won't usually smoke because it's equated to looseness. I've heard that outlook is changing so :shrug:. I never had a female college student that smoked other than the cool, club singer Shuai T lesbian I taught who was tougher than all the guys. I never had a HS student who smoked or drank. They all just wanted to play DoTA or LoL.

There are posters about model behavior that include drinking and smoking but people just seem to ignore them. The big campaigns to stomp out abuse were against meth and ketamine when I was there. Even then, I never witnessed use of those drugs.

Your mileage will vary but you probably won't see anything that would shock or disgust puritanical Americans who pray at the alter of Nancy Reagan.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 22, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Being a security guard in China is usually a retirement or consolation package given to someone who used to live where the apartment is now or was employed by the owner of the property in some other capacity. You sit around, do nothing 99% of the time, and then smoke 99% of the time while occasionally drinking baijiu. It's more rigorous at schools but it's not like they're approaching even the level of over the top mall cop.

At the college I was at they ran drills after one of the mass stabbings and they used those Y shaped polearms on a guy. It was like those Japanese animal suit zoo drills but with a surly, alcoholic old man trying to feign a savage attack.

Dangeresque posted:

Overall most of the guards here are very poorly paid and don't give a poo poo, except for the guys outside the embassy, those guys are adamant.

Those are Armed Police officers, they're not security guards. They're the equivalent of gendarme.

A guy I know in Shanghai got drunk one night and kicked a barricade that got in his way while walking around the French Concession. That barrier happened to be in front of the Iranian embassy and he got detained by them. They had him go to the nearest ATM, withdraw about 5,000 yuan for a payoff and let him go on his way. Although they're real cops, I would argue more so than the boys in blue, they still know how to play ball.

I would argue that public hysteria and overreaction are much more common in China due to the nature of news in China and the propaganda apparatus. Rumors spread like wildfire and people usually think things are worse than they are because they know the news lies all the time. When the Diaoyu Islands thing took off, my college students in Henan were all afraid the Japanese were going to invade any second and thought the jets from the nearby PLAAF training school could be the start of the invasion. It's like worrying about Red Dawn breaking out in Kansas. There was also the disconnect during that period of students wearing One Piece and Hello Kitty shirts talking about how the Japanese are dogs and have given nothing of value to the world.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 27, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Great Autismo! posted:

you guys are overthinking this. think about why you skipped school in high school.

i used to skip all the time senior year to go to jimmy bing's house, we played N64 in his basement, and would go to lunch off campus like it was this huge deal, usually going to taco bell or wendy's. life in 2000 was so good.

kids can go to lunch off campus if they want and they can play video games on their phones with their friends in the classroom using the wifi. they have no where else to go. are they going to skip class and go to a karaoke bar at 1:30pm on a tuesday? how many of your kids have super interesting hobbies like "i'd love to go climb a mountain" or "i love doing taichi"? i'm guessing not many. they all want to sleep and play video games. they can do that in the back of your classroom, surrounded by their friends, using their mobile phones, and they don't risk the chance of getting in trouble for not arriving at school in the first place. they are going to go where their friends are, which is in the classroom as well. they are mentally skipping your class, but physically there, which allows them to say something like "i was there in school" and on the surface what they are saying is true, so their parents, the admin or anyone else isn't going to give even half a poo poo. in fact they'll just think you're being the annoying foreigner by bringing your western ideal of education to them and making extra problems, that Wang Jinbing wasn't being the ideal student and spent a little too much time sleeping or on his phone.

there are definitely truancy laws at the schools, though they are unevenly enforced

It's this. They're also aware that if they just show up, they get a degree or certificate and they can use that to go to a college somewhere.

I would imagine that because testing is so ingrained within the culture of China and the end all of everything today, the actual classes aren't what matters to people. You show up, you learn but if you can cram and get a good score, you won. These kids are kind of gaming the system and their parents have no idea what's up because it's all relatively new and they're rich, everything should be easy. It's not like the educational system in China was anything like this 30 or even 20 years ago and if they can buy their way into some fancy high school, why not a college. Colleges are a joke outside of getting into them in China too, it's not like in the US, so they think it's the same or easier because the SAT is nowhere near as bad as the gaokao and you can buy your way into college. These parents just don't realize they're not the Bushes or the Kushners.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The other teacher got fired for a different reason- he came up with a fun class called "How to Kill Your Teacher." It included instructional videos on how to kill/torture people. The school only found out because he was literally whipping the kids into a murderous frenzy. Erm, also, you know the Cultural Revolution? Yeah. It's not like there's no historical precedent in China of students murdering their teachers.

So, I said yes to the loving classes. Jesus Christ. At least I'll know the kids are safe with me, as much as I hate teaching these crappy fake lessons.

Oh, and they canceled two periods of my biology class- the one I was actually hired to teach- because the most important thing is their financial bottom line. Never the well-being of the students.

Most of the Red Guards from the Cultural Revolution loved torturing their teachers and he just wanted to make the kids happy, which is the most important part of any English teacher's job.

• Locked thread