Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The Great Autismo! posted:

also, there is a book written by a few pilots called "Flying Upside Down" and it is about flying in China for a few years. It is supposedly a super harrowing read and I refuse to read it while I live in China.

Here it is.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/273231452/Flying-Upside-Down-pdf

I will say that I will only fly Korean Air or Japan Airlines or Air Nippon or Hong Kong flight in China. And I'm usually flying them out of the country, mainly to Seoul, to catch a connection to Japan or the United States.

Pretty much everyone says "DO. NOT. FLY. CHINESE. AIRLINES."

Lmao that book is hilarious but super loving racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The Great Autismo! posted:

idk I haven't read it, I'm always a bit skeptical these days about everything being "super racist" but this has seemed to get a lot of backlash so maybe it's really bad. I dunno, do people think poorly made in China was super racist?

'The hospitals in China are loving scary. Besides the fact that there is a heavy element of “ooga booga” to their practice of medicine, they are also a bunch of dirty pigs. So, from dried lizards on a stick to eggs boiled in urine, you run the gamut of half-baked remedies and plain- ol’ down- home crazy-rear end poo poo. Have fun with all that.' (p.255)

I'm no perpetually offended crybaby but seriously some of the stuff is bonkers racist. Like they're often making decent points about how lovely China is in some respects but seem unable to do so without a hefty dose of 'lol look at these crass primitives'. They obviously see themselves as the civilised westerners amongst the savages. No lets not see the socio-political and cultural context obviously Chinese people are just dirty and stupid and lazy.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Warbird posted:

Is that from Poorly Made in China or the Flying Upside down book? I listened to the former fairly recently and it doesn't fit the general tone of the book as best I can recall. Can't remember him talking about anything health related either.

It was the flying upside down one. The whole book is a list of probably reasonable observations coloured by this weird arrogant racist streak it's very strange to read.

• Locked thread