Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Warbird posted:

Go teach English in China the wife says. It'll be fun and easy money she says...

You can get a uni teaching job working quarter of the hours for almost the same pay and not have to deal with any of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I can't speak to that, but most of the ads I've seen for university gigs- while definitely easier- paid less than half of what I'm making now.

e: Probably depends on subject/experience, though.

School salaries are around 10k-15k a month in Chengdu right? The low end of uni gigs here is about 6k I think, that's if you have no experience and just a bachelors. If you have some experience and you aren't a pushover with negotiations you can push it a few thousand higher easily. I know a couple of the unis are paying 11k-13k starting for 18 hours I think. Standard uni contracts are 14 or 16 hours but most of the time you don't actually work that much, in 4 years I've had 1 semester where I had a full class load. You also get about 5 months off a year. Generally you'll only work 2 or 3 days a week so lots of time for private tutoring where you can get at least 250 an hour, and if you have basic networking skills 500/600 an hour stuff isn't hard to find.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Heck! Heck and darn, I never saw any ads for jobs that good! Well, thanks for the info- hopefully it will help someone else.

The universities tend not to advertise, you have to dig through their websites that haven't been updated since the 90's and try and find the contact info of the foreign affairs/office of international cooperation person or whatever they're calling themselves and hope it actually works.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
My old university had some sort of exchange program with bring 'em young so we had a bunch of mormon teachers every semester. Those guys would go on about God (or whatever they believe in, all I know about mormons is they have magic underpants and think soft drinks are evil?) in class, they would organise activities for religious holidays like Christmas and Easter too and they never had any problems. There was one of them weird superchristian old Korean guys as well who would talk about religion in class, apparently one of his classes was just him talking about how God gave Freddie Mercury AIDS as a punishment for being gay.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
When I first arrived here I was out drinking one night an a girl came up and started hitting on me, she looked a bit young but I figured she must be at least 18 if she's in a club. After a while her friend came to join us and told me they were dancers and showed me some pictures of them at dance practice on her phone, they were wearing the blue/white tracksuit school uniforms in them so I asked how old they were, turns out they were 14.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I used to teach for a joint program with a UK university here, they would have to pass IELTS with a 6.5 by the end of their second year. Only about 5 out of 100 or so students actually did. It was a new thing so I'm not sure what actually happened when none of them could continue, I got away from that shitshow as quick as I could. They were supposed to have passed an English test to get onto the course but I had students who didn't even understand hello. They were all rich kids so would spend class arguing over who had more credit cards and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I dont know if it's everywhere but at my uni undergrads had to pass CET4 and postgrads had to pass CET6.

• Locked thread