Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

occamsnailfile posted:

That is extremely weird. The Chinese kids I deal with are all applying to pay non-resident tuition in the US with no financial aid so I guess the expense of 'go to Thailand to take the SAT' isn't that big a deal but I did not realize it was generally unavailable on the mainland. Is the TOEFL still offered widely? What about the GRE?

Man do my applicants bitch about having to take the TOEFL. Even when they can barely stutter out a sentence to me on the phone.

I tutored a HK kid, went to one of the top international schools, his mum was freaking out about registration for the SAT because while it can be sat here, his school didn't offer them (tiger mum, he took ACT as well) and mainlanders coming to private exam centres just to sit the SAT fill up places fast, to the point she was doing that 'getting tickets for sellout concert' thing of sitting up at midnight desperately refreshing the page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

It was the flying upside down one. The whole book is a list of probably reasonable observations coloured by this weird arrogant racist streak it's very strange to read.

Yeah this is true. I read it about half way through then figured I'd pretty much got the gist.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I was teaching in Europe before the credit crunch hit, then after it did, when they were offering a pay cut if we wanted to renew contracts, I said gently caress off and moved over here

Education spending is usually one of the first things to be cut when someone turns off the magic money tap

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Irish gonna have their pick of TEFL jobs is my guess

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Atopian posted:

I used to be a science journal editor, but family circumstances left me with 8 spare months of a 12-month sabbatical and some spare cash saved up, so I figured I'd wander around somewhere cheapish for a while. Picked China because why not?

After about 4-5 months I got randomly offered an ESL job by a guy I met halfway up a mountain and I figured I'd try it pretty much as a joke, because why not? Was chill and pleasant, and just as I was going to reach the end of my sabbatical, I got offered a job teaching science by a guy I beat in a drinking contest in a bar. Thought for a bit, figured 'why not?', and went with it. Working out p well overall so far.

Have I met you in Hong Kong, twice? I lost all idea of who was who when I left the China wechat group

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Cool, hello again!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

- People being absolutely fascinated by the food you're eating at a restaurant.
Also at the supermarket, "What has it got in its basketses?" is what you do when you see a Foreigner. Because I have obviously got access to the Secret Foreigner Repository, where I'm not gonna be buying same poo poo as everyone else in the same supermarket. I get this even in Hong Kong, it's just a massive eyeroll, but in reataurants I hate being stared at as I eat (which doesn't often happen to be fsir in HK)

Actually I just remembered. I was eating in a place popular with tourists. They also do the thing where they seat people who don't know each other at the same table. I am directed to sit at a table for 4 with only 1 guy there. I sit diagonally opposite, then his 2 friends come back. They're mainlanders. The woman tries to sneakily snap a photo of me because she's sitting with a Foreigner! But then the flash goes off and she's really embarrassed. I just smile a big ol toothy grin at her. Actually by the end of the meal it's ok, after we seni-communicate shuffling dishes round the table to fit em all on, sharing the teapot, passing pencil for the menu etc. Nice people in the end, just fascinated by race.

quote:

- When you're talking to another English speaker and someone starts imitating the sounds you're making. This is one of my pet peeves from adults.

Ok this would make me hopping mad, hasn't happened to me before in HK thankfully.

quote:

- "Really?" is a response to ANYTHING, by the way.
I get this. I use it myself. If I can't think of anything to reply with to keep the conversation going, I pull a "Really?". The alternative is "Tell me a bit more about that" which just sounds job interviewy to me. It doesn't mean I don't believe you, it means gimme nore detail

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Something I notice here, which I'm curious whether it happens elsewhere in China, is that if I'm speaking English, or just being white in their vicinity, people switch to English. I don't mean service staff, but walking down the street, if the people near us realise I'm talking English with my wife, say the couple in front of us will start having their conversation in English, when moments before they were speaking Cantonese. Browsing in a clothes shop, tbat group of teenage girls hear me and my wife and suddenly all switch their conversation to English. In a restaurant, the table next to us - same. Actually now I think about it, there are always women involved. Groups of only guys don't do it.

It doesn't happen super regularly, but sometimes it does. Also I'm told some young women here adopt accented Cantonese to pretend to be or just seem more ABC or BBC or CBC. Or they pretend they don't speak Cantonese at all. Maybe it's related

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

With the photo thing, I can't turn back time, I wasn't injured, she was already embarrassed, and we'd have to sit together quietly seething or smiling regardless, so I figured why not take it lightly v:shobon:v

not that I don't agree with you about not being a sideshow, but I guess there was also an aspect of me regarding them as visitors to my city, rather than the other way around, although they probably felt that I was the more Foreign

simplefish fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 8, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

No they aren't talking to us in English, they're talking to their (non-English) friends in English. I'm not 100% sure why but it's a thing I've noticed.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

mafan means annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Not high school but a (around 30 years old) guy in a tutorial place:
He's such a red pill retard. To be fair he's built as hell and I'd do anything to have a body like his (except diet and exercise, obviously) but in one lesson he's saying things about punching me/a teacher in examples before saying he's joking, (like I say "can you give me an example question 1?" And he replies "can I give you punches for it?? Nah, nah only joking."; he asks me normal student questions, then adds "not that I mean to challenge you or anything"; asked me if I would have an arm wrestle with him after class, and was telling a delightful story in one of the "discuss with your partner" bits about him threatening debt collecters with a big stick daring them to enter his home, followed by "true story" said looking directly at me; another punches comment because "the teacher is spying on us" (actually monitoring); constantly going on about how much he hates his entire family. He was sat next to probably one of the hottest female students the whole time. I think he was trying to show he was more manly than the authority figure to get into her underwear, is that a red pill thing?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 20, 2017

• Locked thread