Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, a good third of them weren't able to get accepted to any programs whatsoever in the US and a good bunch of those are going to Singapore.
Why? Cheapest alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what does everyone in this thread think about hot pot
Don't eat the one with the spicy soup, unless you already had it before. May go badly for you.

And if you are asking for China specifically, given how poo poo the other posters have made it sound, I would request for individual pots instead of a communal pot for hygiene reasons.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Nope, I don't like watching or playing any sports. Just doesn't appeal to me. Plus, I'm like 5'4 so basketball is a stupid sport for jerk giants.
Haha. White lady, you should treasure the chance to play basketball with my fellow (racial) Chinese then. Rare chance for you to play on a even footing.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

simplefish posted:

Something I notice here, which I'm curious whether it happens elsewhere in China, is that if I'm speaking English, or just being white in their vicinity, people switch to English. I don't mean service staff, but walking down the street, if the people near us realise I'm talking English with my wife, say the couple in front of us will start having their conversation in English, when moments before they were speaking Cantonese. Browsing in a clothes shop, tbat group of teenage girls hear me and my wife and suddenly all switch their conversation to English. In a restaurant, the table next to us - same. Actually now I think about it, there are always women involved. Groups of only guys don't do it.

It doesn't happen super regularly, but sometimes it does. Also I'm told some young women here adopt accented Cantonese to pretend to be or just seem more ABC or BBC or CBC. Or they pretend they don't speak Cantonese at all. Maybe it's related
I deliberately code switch if I suspect the other person has low fluency in that language. In the sense that I will speak with exceptional purity in that particular language, with no loan words, formal sentence structure and very neutral tone. I believe that this makes it easier to understand.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it possible that it is your fault? If there are 2 independent incidents. Because then it seem likely that it is either you or the environment (Asian culture).

As a racial Chinese, I wonder if you might have accidentally crossed a line without even realising it. For example, if you sided with the truth / what is right against her, even though she is your friend. Because there is a certain expectation that you side with your friends even when it is morally wrong. How strong this feeling is held depends on the specific culture, of course. But I imagine China being very Chinese, they probably have this real hardcore.

• Locked thread