Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
Great thread. I'm really enjoying learning about how different education is in China.

This stood out to me:

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

First of all, any score reports you see from China are bullshit. They report only the test scores from top institutes in Shanghai or Beijing and pretend they're from the country as a whole. Parents pay bribes to teachers so their students get better grades and sit at the front of the class; everyone else is sleeping, reading manga, drawing, fighting, etc.

I've seen many articles about how the US education system is falling behind and students here test poorly in comparison to other countries, especially in math and science. A few years back, Shanghai was listed as #1 in math out of those who had taken the test.

I take it then that such articles or studies are based on artificially-inflated scores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer
Thanks! That was a very informative article and it clarified the issue for me.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer
So, it sounds like critical thinking skills are being largely ignored in Chinese education (not that American education teaches enough of this, but better than nothing).

Is there any point at which Chinese education brings in an element that isn't so memorization or multiple choice focused, such as in college or grad school? Never learning how to do anything but spit back answers would be a serious impediment to being competitive in business worldwide and also would make it hard to improve conditions in their country.

I totally agree that American education is failing kids in its own way. I personally feel that my high school years were wasted, and this is coming from someone who took challenging classes. So, this isn't to rag on China by saying that the US system is great, but it sounds like China's way is notably worse.

• Locked thread