Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Great Autismo! posted:

most students pick english names so learning names isn't too difficult. even then learning their chinese names isn't that difficult, but i've been here for a while, so maybe it actually is and i'm just used to it.

I've heard that many Chinese people prefer English speakers to use their chosen English name, because the odds of a non-Mandarin-speaker actually pronouncing their name correctly is next to nil. Is that true in general, or just with some of the people I've dealt with? (I had a professor say, "my name is such-and-such, but you'll probably pronounce it wrong, so just call me Steve").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Great Autismo! posted:

i was just saying there's a book here you can read that is supposed to be pretty crazy about pilots in china, after a guy mentioned pilot training with chinese students. i wasn't saying "please use this book as gospel for making decisions about traveling in china"

I'm doing my training at a flight school that has a decent number of Chinese students. I've seen/heard some interesting things. But then again, I've seen lots of non-Chinese people do a lot of stupid poo poo too, so if you're going to bag on Chinese pilots there's probably a good bit of confirmation bias going on. Two of our instructors are at least of Chinese descent (I haven't asked for their life histories, so I don't know where they've lived or where they were born, but their last names are Chinese) and they're both fantastic pilots and good instructors too. One of them has to sign off for me to do my flight test, and he's BIG on critical thinking and getting me to explain why I chose to do things, so I can't see any student without those skills getting a recommendation for a flight test, and I can't see anyone without those skills actually passing a flight test either. For what it's worth.

At least as large an issue is that a lot of low-hour people from North America and Europe go over to China because they'll get better jobs with fewer requirements, and frankly, that's not really a good thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

So what was the hand sniffing thing about?

Probably just some deviated preverts.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jesus gently caress...

That's some sick poo poo, any chance that could earn a guy a first class ticket on the death-penalty bus?

• Locked thread