Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Chadzok posted:

Looks like some old sci-fi novels, the model he carved was based on one of the covers. My first thought was that the dad used to be a sci-fi writer, or was unpublished or something. Since everything else is so similar to the other two seasons there's surely gonna be some sort of weird subplot like the jewish demon/ufo stuff.

Edit: The thing she picked up to use as a weapon looked a lot like a Hugo award, so yeah, he must have been a sci-fi author.

Makes sense, but why would she be astonished to see the books?

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's so rad to see such quality female roles in shows this good. When Gloria headed back out to the car I actually said out loud "get that shotgun you bad rear end" and then she did, completely fearless.

Loved that too. Not crazy about how the scene played out though. She sees the place is trashed, finds Ennis, hears someone upstairs... and she's still not going for her gun. Her son appears and she tells him loudly to get out of the house, possibly giving away their presence. After searching the house and not finding anyone, she looks around the empty living room and investigates a floorboard. Seems like there would be more urgency to make sure her son is okay and to go look for the suspect.

El Jeffe posted:

Ray and Nikki are actualized as gently caress.

Love them together, with Nikki driving the bus and always a few steps ahead of Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
God I love this show. What other show can have an Italian novelty song and Tuvan Throat singing on the soundtrack without it feeling like it's trying too hard?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Good starting episode.

I feel like they are doing the not finishing their sentences thing, a lot more often this time around. Which also happened in The Legion (but I thought it was justified there due to the main character's mental condition).

Anyway, towards the end I was shouting at Ray for being an idiot and not disarming Maurice, and then yelling "yes! push!" at Nikki & Ray... so that's a sign that I was enjoying the episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

Loved that too. Not crazy about how the scene played out though. She sees the place is trashed, finds Ennis, hears someone upstairs... and she's still not going for her gun. Her son appears and she tells him loudly to get out of the house, possibly giving away their presence. After searching the house and not finding anyone, she looks around the empty living room and investigates a floorboard. Seems like there would be more urgency to make sure her son is okay and to go look for the suspect.

Does she have her gun in that scene? I'm pretty sure she reaches to where it would be and isn't wearing it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

She doesn't, but she should've probably gone to get it from the car instead of going in with the Hugo award.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
It just felt Colin Hanks-ian to me, which seemed at odds with her character. Someone was literally upstairs... assuming she didn't hear a car start up, how far away could the suspect be?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Capntastic posted:

Nobody tell me how Bridge works I have made it this far without learning what any of the nicknames for the combos and maneuvers mean and I gotta keep pushing that boulder

Nobody knows how Bridge works.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Did anyone catch what Gloria said to her son when they turned back for the carving? It sounded something like "backwards B" which I'm guessing is slang for a u-turn but I didn't quite catch it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She says "Flip a B-word". Flip a bitch is slang for a U-turn.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Aphrodite posted:

She says "Flip a B-word". Flip a bitch is slang for a U-turn.

Ha, thanks- I wasn't even close to hearing it right.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Man, that opening scene. (Really ALL the scenes, but...) I love that guy, I think that was a MORE intimidating "German interrogates hapless prisoner" than the milk scene in Basterds. Not only was that guy the Nazi torturer from The Man From UNCLE, the first few notes of the TV Fargo theme were the same as the first few notes of "Torture In D Minor" that was the soundtrack of the Nazi torture scene in The Man From UNCLE.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

So the show is watching itself then....

In s2 we were the aliens. This show is doing some meta 4th wall through the looking glass poo poo spanning multiple seasons.

I hope Westworld does it this good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I heard "flip a B-word" but since I've never heard of "flip a bitch" as slang for U-turn I was just like "...what?"

The only slang for U-turn I can remember hearing is "flip a U-ee (yoo-ee)" in New England

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

My small town coworkers sometimes refer to it as "whipping a nut" (Alberta) so there's that too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

I heard "flip a B-word" but since I've never heard of "flip a bitch" as slang for U-turn I was just like "...what?"

The only slang for U-turn I can remember hearing is "flip a U-ee (yoo-ee)" in New England

I've never heard it off the internet either, it's apparently more of a west coast thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mae posted:

My small town coworkers sometimes refer to it as "whipping a nut" (Alberta) so there's that too.

Of the many things that could be slang for, making a 180 degree turn in a vehicle is not the one I'd expect.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is this season still as big of a mess as Season 2 or is it back to the unparalleled greatness of Season 1?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I will openly and gleefully admit I gasped and then screamed when the Stasi officer explained to the person being interrogated that names can be changed but the truth must be told.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Is this season still as big of a mess as Season 2 or is it back to the unparalleled greatness of Season 1?

It has been literally one episode. Also season 2 rules and I'm coming to your house to fight you.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

It has been literally one episode. Also season 2 rules and I'm coming to your house to fight you.

I'll bring an extra burlap sack full of door knobs for you. gently caress that guy's silly opinion.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Season 2 is a bunch of brilliant sequences (the Reagan scene, the running UFO storyline and payoff, all of episode 8) interspersed with some really, really tragic storytelling and character decisions that make the show as a whole feel like an overly authored mess of conflicting and hypocritical character motivations that would be overwritten by the plot whenever it needed to Make Something Happen. Like how Mike plots a brilliant backstab only to leave two people alive, for no reason. Or how Plemons' character is somehow able to outrun two cops, while on foot, to a destination both the cops are driving to and one had just come from.

I could go on, but plot and character-wise Season 2 was a mess of ridiculous and unjustifiable motivations and plot points written exclusively to extend the storyline, and as a result it mercilessly made idiots into geniuses or competent people into dribbling morons as the plot demanded.

Or, in more concise terms: it was a mess.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Kill the season 2 nay sayer

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Kill the season 2 nay sayer

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Was it just me or McGregor as the rich brother is less convincing than himself as the parole officer brother? There is something stilted about his delivery, which might be on purpose, but I think he also sometimes slips into his native Scottish accent a bit as Emmit.

Also, just realised that the brothers' names make 'emit ray' together, like a laser or something. Maybe this will be tied to the sci-fi books.

socketwrencher posted:

Makes sense, but why would she be astonished to see the books?
Because he was a no-nonsense fundamentalist Christian by the looks of it. Writing or even reading stories about aliens and amazing worlds beyond our own doesn't gel well with that usually. But he obviously still had some interest in it, because the show he watched (season 2 of Fargo) was also about aliens.

scuba school sucks posted:

Man, that opening scene. (Really ALL the scenes, but...) I love that guy, I think that was a MORE intimidating "German interrogates hapless prisoner" than the milk scene in Basterds. Not only was that guy the Nazi torturer from The Man From UNCLE, the first few notes of the TV Fargo theme were the same as the first few notes of "Torture In D Minor" that was the soundtrack of the Nazi torture scene in The Man From UNCLE.

It was a Soviet officer interrogating a German.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
My Gregor is actually perfect in both roles

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

I've never heard it off the internet either, it's apparently more of a west coast thing.

Flip a bitch is definitely something that is said in the midwest, I grew up in Michigan and it was commonplace when I hit driving age.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well, I haven't seen any characters from prior seasons yet.

Maybe the first two seasons existed as a TV show for this season. It's like layers upon layers.
Season Two introduced the possibility that Season One exists in the dream one of the characters had so who knows.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

I am so happy this show is back. Ewan McGregor really looks like two completely different people, if I didn't know he was playing 2 characters I would have had no idea.

I didn't know before watching, and was like "Man the rich brother looks so much like Ewan." while watching. Had to check IMDB to make sure I wasn't crazy, just awesome. I love this show.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Season 2 is better than all of Breaking Bad. Fight me.

Also that was an east german officer interrogating an east german.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Mae posted:

We also have the quaint 'whip a lovely.'

Both of which are usually used when spinning doughnuts in a parking lot, but somehow also sometimes mean a 180.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Season 2 is a bunch of brilliant sequences (the Reagan scene, the running UFO storyline and payoff, all of episode 8) interspersed with some really, really tragic storytelling and character decisions that make the show as a whole feel like an overly authored mess of conflicting and hypocritical character motivations that would be overwritten by the plot whenever it needed to Make Something Happen. Like how Mike plots a brilliant backstab only to leave two people alive, for no reason. Or how Plemons' character is somehow able to outrun two cops, while on foot, to a destination both the cops are driving to and one had just come from.

I could go on, but plot and character-wise Season 2 was a mess of ridiculous and unjustifiable motivations and plot points written exclusively to extend the storyline, and as a result it mercilessly made idiots into geniuses or competent people into dribbling morons as the plot demanded.

Or, in more concise terms: it was a mess.

It's a mess if what you want out of a plot would satisfy an autists attention to minutia

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ewan is definitely doing better at keeping down his Scottish accent as Ray than as Emmitt, he's killing it as Ray

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
This show seems to know exactly how long to let a shot last so it can breathe but not overstay its welcome. Great start to the season.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

I feel like they are doing the not finishing their sentences thing, a lot more often this time around.

"Well here in Minnesota that's just kinda how we ... y'know ..."

*squints off into distance, never makes eye contact and keeps body turned away at a 45 degree angle at all times*

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Also, it's one episode in and I hope Nikki and Ray(?) get out of this okay

I hope they get away with everything

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

GobiasIndustries posted:

Flip a bitch is definitely something that is said in the midwest, I grew up in Michigan and it was commonplace when I hit driving age.

U.P.? I grew up in metro Detroit and never heard that before. Living closer to mid Michigan now and still never heard it.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Regy Rusty posted:

I hope they get away with everything

Absolutely and somehow Emmit gets jailed for their crimes.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Paladinus posted:

It was a Soviet officer interrogating a German.

No, it was a Stasi-Officer. He was speaking german and wearing the appropriate uniform.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ESDK posted:

No, it was a Stasi-Officer. He was speaking german and wearing the appropriate uniform.

Took a closer look at his cap, and it is indeed a stasi one. I guess the song in Russian and him inviting the suspect to sit down in perfect Russian threw me off. His face also looks extremely Russian to me for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Weird, I've been in Michigan all my life and never heard it. I definitely know about Michigan lefts, which are what amount to big fancy u-turns to get across the big dividers that separate some semi-highways that are like 3-4 lanes in each direction but still have stores on the right side and traffic lights, but never heard that saying.

TraderStav posted:

U.P.? I grew up in metro Detroit and never heard that before. Living closer to mid Michigan now and still never heard it.

Yeah I'm Southeast Michigan myself, maybe it's a midwest saying in general but in Michigan it's more northern/U.P.?

Oh and separate thing, we had Martin Freeman as the foreigner doing a midwest American accent in S1 and now McGregor doing that across two roles in S3, was there a prominent foreigner doing that in S2? I'm just wondering if that's happened with a major character in each season of the show, because it'd be fun if it was.

• Locked thread