Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This was absolutely loving awesome, every last scene of it. Just wow.

Also, why does Ray have a gun and a shield? Is he a real police officer? I thought parole officers were more like social workers.

ArmZ posted:

he says "sitzen" which is german for sit down. all the songs are here: https://www.tunefind.com/show/fargo/season-3/43239

Yeah, he clearly says "setzen" and talks German from the very beginning to the end. There is absolutely no ambiguity about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probation officers are forbidden to carry guns in Minnesota apparently, but if that's not just an oversight Ray's not exactly clean anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm thinking Ray is an ex-cop or something.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Man idk, I think the premise is starting to wear a little thin. The Ray/Nikki murder cover up plot feels a little rote after the Martin Freeman and Mary Jane/Ricky Hitler plots.

Still really well done and I'm all on board for the season. I really like the Guy Ritchie character who has immigrated to the Fargo universe, that's a premise I can get behind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fargo's a cop show.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

IS the old guys house the same as the gertharts?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Fargo's a cop show.

Well yeah but I'm talking about the specific premise of disaffected small town Minnesotans goin' off and killin' again

But like I said, minor nitpick.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That's literally the entire premise of this show, though. Every season is going to be about that. It's like watching Star Trek and going "this premise is wearing thin, when are they going to do other stuff besides be in space?"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
When you have to change the names to protect the innocent, it's not going to be a love story.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I must have gotten a concussion recently because I don't remember when I said they should switch to reimagining Home Alone or anything like that. Although now I have my idea for how I'm going to get my break into Hollywood.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
While I think it's great that the show has a theme and sticks to it (the same theme as the film, people bumbling into preposterously hosed up situations) I do have a sneaking suspicion they're going to subvert it this time. I don't know how or to what extent but I do think the play for your third album is to go weird.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

The Gerharts didn't even live in Minnesota as I recall

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Consider that it's basically the Coen aesthetic to have a story consisting of the following moving parts: a valuable macguffin (almost always A Bunch of Cash in a Briefcast), a meanderingly philosophical hitman, a completely random instance of bad luck looping a group of characters into nefarious dealings, an unbending avatar of "the law", and someone instigating a crime (usually a kidnapping) and it blowing up in their faces.

The names may change but the truth must be told

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Gerharts didn't even live in Minnesota as I recall

Yeah, the Gerhardt compound was in Fargo itself, which is in North Dakota but straddles the Minnesota border.

It's kind of a running joke that the plot only ever tangentially involves Fargo, while the main story takes place in various towns within Minnesota proper (Brainerd, Bemidji, Duluth, Luverne, Eden Valley/Prairie, all of which are a fair distance from Fargo).

In any event, yeah, the house doesn't look anything like the Gerhardt compound, and is nowhere near it to boot.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 25, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The movie is also that way. Fargo is just where Buscemi and Stormare came from I believe.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

People were struggling with Minnesota geography in the season two thread, so I figured this would help:

St. Cloud is (I'm pretty sure) where Ray and Nikki are based out of. It's a medium-sized middle-class university city.
Eden Prairie is where Emmit's house is. It's a rich suburb of the Twin Cities. It's not in Michelle Bachman's district, but it's full of the same kind of people who kept sending her to Congress.
Eden Valley is where Gloria is a police officer in. It's a town of a little over 1,000 and is exactly the kind of town Lake Woebegone is based off of.
Fargo is way off to the north-west, and it remains to be seen how it will be involved this season.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

So this is the furthest south Fargo has gone (barring Sioux Falls I guess? It's in South Dakota, right?)

wait, no. Luverne is down in the corner there.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah season two was all about extreme southwestern Minnesota.

Of course, keep in mind that the show is actually filmed in Alberta, but it still is a pretty accurate depiction of western Minnesota in winter time. My mom grew up in the area of Eden Valley and we'd drive out there every winter for Christmas with her family. It's a flat, frozen hellscape of barren corn fields as far as the eye can see.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

While I think it's great that the show has a theme and sticks to it (the same theme as the film, people bumbling into preposterously hosed up situations) I do have a sneaking suspicion they're going to subvert it this time. I don't know how or to what extent but I do think the play for your third album is to go weird.

I mean, weirder than an alien observation saucer?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Moon Slayer posted:

Of course, keep in mind that the show is actually filmed in Alberta, but it still is a pretty accurate depiction of western Minnesota in winter time.

I forgot about that until I spotted a Royal Bank of Canada branch in the background in one shot.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Surmise.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Boardwalk Empire all over the place on this show

darkerthantheday
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, if you want to spray your shirt…with documents!
Nice Stan Grosssman namedrop

"But you're sayin'... what are ya sayin'?"

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Sorry if this is addressed previously, I skimmed a bit and did not see it. Has anyone had any ideas about who/what the opening scene of Season 3 is? Who is Yuri Gurka etc?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I think I'm going to like Nikki a lot.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ewwwwww

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lmao

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MarksMan posted:

Sorry if this is addressed previously, I skimmed a bit and did not see it. Has anyone had any ideas about who/what the opening scene of Season 3 is? Who is Yuri Gurka etc?

Chances are, that scene will not be explained in any more detail by the show than it already has been. But some of its motifs have already emerged pretty clearly in the main story, like mistaken identity and irrational stubbornness in the face of error (Maurice goes after the wrong man in the wrong town, then refuses to admit or even understand that he hosed up).

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 27, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Life's a journey, ya know? :j:

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

drat, that Nikki is one classy broad.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

:barf:

Also, way to be discreet, Nikki.

I love that Ray looks like a bad Phillip Jennings disguise.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 27, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sy trying to look intimidating with that stupid mustache was hilarious

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is this Brick Top from Snatch? Sure sounds like him.

e- No.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 27, 2017

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The big wrap-around porch and the barn in the background seemed familiar.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The lady cop sure has a lot of problems with technology. door doesn't see her, phone doesn't work ..... is she touched by the aliens? Deus ex machina?

Will she have a win or loss because of this technology thing later...

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I loved this episode. I had probably five or six moments where I was laughing out loud.

https://twitter.com/fargofx/status/857428633387900928

"Slave girls?" was great

And "unfathomable pinheadery"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Unfathomable Pinheadery is the name of my punk album

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That hit and run? Ooh, I hope Emitt's righthand man dies.

It'll be good for my chi.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

KoRMaK posted:

The lady cop sure has a lot of problems with technology. door doesn't see her, phone doesn't work ..... is she touched by the aliens? Deus ex machina?

Will she have a win or loss because of this technology thing later...

it's the actress, not the character. she was having similar problems over in the Leftovers this week as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Fargo is the Best Sci-Fi series on TV.

• Locked thread