Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Idk. Grey and beige seem to be the dominant colors of almost every shot this year. Scenes between Emmitt and his lawyer take this so far they're practically in black & white.

It's pretty similar to the usual "Fargo" pallet. Season 2 was an outlier because the 70's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I feel like it's more extreme this season though.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AbstractNapper posted:

I'm not a big car buff, but is Ray's Corvette supposed to be in a good state? Because from the close-ups and the interior it seems I guess decent. But when they first introduced it with the valet bringing it in front of Emmit's house, it kind of looked like a eroded metal trash can in the shape of a car.

No. I can almost guarantee that the bottom of that car is rusted out and the engine doesn't sound like it's in that great condition either. The paint job is also pretty poo poo looking too.
Assuming they salt their roads up there (I lived in MI and we salted the hell out of our roads in the winter) it can be extremely difficult to keep a car looking nice if you aren't on top of things.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Anyone else feel like Nikki might be taking Ray for a ride?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accretionist posted:

No. I thought that at first but I think they're genuinely simpatico

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
She killed Ray's goon and Ray confronts her over how morose he is? It's little surprise she slapped him, but she covers with some poo poo about his Chi to redirect to goading him into doing something about his brother? She handles it like she slipped up and needed to stay on target.

Why?

Is Ray being used? Or is this some Pinky and the Brain poo poo where they're a legit team despite her being the brains?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1976/chevrolet/corvette/100856741
Here's a rust free 76 Corvette that looks to be in much better condition than the one in the show with less than 50k miles. And I think he's dreaming at asking for 10k. Ray's blew out a bunch of black smoke when he drove away so I'm sure the engine is in horrible condition too.

They handled poorly and had zero power even when new so they're not desirable at all. The valet before him dropped off a new Bentley so it's a...pretty big step down. He'd be lucky to get a few thousand for it. It's the kinda car you donate to your local classical radio station for a tax break because selling it would be such a pain for so little money.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

apparently he's good at bridge, or at least a good partner for her.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

ArmZ posted:

That's a good point. I'm basing my read of their situation based on how she's handling the hosed up poo poo. If he's in over his head and she's not but is smart enough to handle him, of course she's handling him.

Is it her, or the dictates of circumstance?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 29, 2017

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

I wish Fargo was streaming new episodes for a week on Hulu like they did the last two seasons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ArmZ posted:

I think that's going to come back around though it looked to me as though they were so good at bridge because she's a big distraction

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

AbstractNapper posted:

I'm not a big car buff, but is Ray's Corvette supposed to be in a good state? Because from the close-ups and the interior it seems I guess decent. But when they first introduced it with the valet bringing it in front of Emmit's house, it kind of looked like a eroded metal trash can in the shape of a car.

It's a GM from the 70's. It came that way from the factory

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

GobiasIndustries posted:

Assuming they salt their roads up there (I lived in MI and we salted the hell out of our roads in the winter) it can be extremely difficult to keep a car looking nice if you aren't on top of things.

As someone who was born and lived in Minnesota: You bet your rear end they salt the hell out of the roads up there and winter can last 3/5 of the year so cars get wrecked by rust.

Accretionist posted:

I think she was, at first, but then something seemed to really change for her in how she saw Ray when Scoot McNairy barged in and she learned that Ray had actually tried to do something about his beef with his brother.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, I just finished season 3 of HaCF and I did not realize that was Scoot McNairy, though I did keep thinking "where have I seen him?"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Longbaugh01 posted:

As someone who was born and lived in Minnesota: You bet your rear end they salt the hell out of the roads up there and winter can last 3/5 of the year so cars get wrecked by rust.

:hf::smith: Some states use sand but man were winters brutal on my cars growing up.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

:hf::smith: Some states use sand but man were winters brutal on my cars growing up.

Sand is a luxury that the colder parts of the world can't afford. Scorched earth is the only effective answer to the white threat.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Are all these gigantic, global crime syndicates in Minnesota based on something real or are they completely made up? It's so loving ridiculous that you have all these Anton Chigurs and various crime families fighting over some bland, sleepy small towns.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 30, 2017

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
This is a true story.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Are all these gigantic, global crime syndicates in Minnesota based on something real or are they completely made up? It's so loving ridiculous that you have all these Anton Chigurs and various crime families fighting over some bland, sleepy small towns.

yes, none of this is made up. It's an exact recreation of events as they occurred. Only the names have been changed!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I used to work at video store in a small town with zero crime. There were rumors about the Ukrainian guys that came in regularly, really intimidating and had a way of staring at you and waiting for you to speak... they also had ridiculously attractive girlfriends. Anyways there were a ton of rumors about them doing something related to organized crime and some of my friends that sort of had their ear to the ground and knew a most of the community practically confirmed it.

Anyways what I'm trying to say is that it's not that much of a stretch for me to believe that an organized crime syndicate could use a smaller community to wash money or whatever they're doing.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'd imagine that part of the country is attractive to syndicates for the small town police level and perhaps the proximity to long stretches of unmonitored borders with Canada.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

There are entire small towns in the deep South that are under the control/protection of organized crime - sometimes the Mafia, sometimes the Korean Mafia, sometimes White Supremacists. Those are the only three that I know for sure of. And some of those towns are even smaller than the ones in the show.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

This is a true story.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I really wish they'd keep that "true story" stuff limited to the first episode. We don't need to see it every episode.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

There might be some truth to it but I think it's supposed to be a bit surreal and also play up the contrasts.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
this a

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Not sure why you're jumping to this conclusion for this season, seeing as how we have no idea where VM Vargas is from ("America." notwithstanding), who/what his organization really is or where they're from, and the Rich Stussy brother's office and Vargas have not been in a "sleepy little town", they've been in the major US city of Minneapolis as far as I know.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Well it's hard to search for international criminal syndicate activities, but here are a ton of headlines about gang related violence in MN https://www.nationalgangcenter.gov/Gang-Related-News?st=MN

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lmao at the bozos who are going to get thrown off a parking garage searching for criminals

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

clown shoes posted:

I really wish they'd keep that "true story" stuff limited to the first episode. We don't need to see it every episode.

I like it. On more than one occasion I've had to explain to bright people that these aren't based in any way shape or form on real events. Like, they thought that something along the lines of the 'Massacre of Suex Falls' had actually occurred. Granted, I'm sure there's something historically similar that may have occurred, I feel it's safe to say most of these events are made up because they're fun stories.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

EatinCake posted:

I like it. On more than one occasion I've had to explain to bright people that these aren't based in any way shape or form on real events. Like, they thought that something along the lines of the 'Massacre of Suex Falls' had actually occurred. Granted, I'm sure there's something historically similar that may have occurred, I feel it's safe to say most of these events are made up because they're fun stories.

The statement's not a lie. They are true stories! They're 100%, honest to god stories. They are actually stories. :v:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The original Fargo was partly based on at least a couple incidents if I remember correctly. Now, it's just a stylistic holdover for the most part I'm sure.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

lifts cats over head posted:

I'd imagine that part of the country is attractive to syndicates for the small town police level and perhaps the proximity to long stretches of unmonitored borders with Canada.

I'd like to see a season dealing with the Northwest Angle. It's one of only a few exclaves in the US, and I've read there are border smuggling issues when Lake of the Woods freezes over.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Longbaugh01 posted:

The original Fargo was partly based on at least a couple incidents if I remember correctly. Now, it's just a stylistic holdover for the most part I'm sure.

Kinda sorta, but only the wife murder and wood chipper thing.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The previous seasons made "true" the last word to fade out, right? Because now it's the first, whatever that means.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So I'm sure this gets asked a fair bit, but what the hell was the deal with the ufo's?

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Marketing tie-in with X-COM.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Jimmy Carter reference.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Reality is flexible in the context of a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yeah, the titles fading out and leaving Story as the last word are a nice touch this time. Considering the hidden novels and the dybbuk-style story at the start about truths.

Also, it's nice to play spot the landmarks with a city (and towns) other than Vancouver or Toronto this time. Yay, Calgary!

• Locked thread