Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
shh maybe atlus won't hear us

:siren: No SpOiLeRs PlEaSe :siren:

What is Persona?

Persona is a role-playing game created as a sub-series of the mainline Shin Megami Tensei series. It's a game where you go dungeon-crawling with your fake anime friends to solve mysteries, featuring a wide range of mythological creatures from all legends. The Persona series, starting with 3, also included something called "Social Links" (renamed to Confidants in 5) which add an element of dating sims to the game. The stronger your social links, the stronger your Personas will be.

If you're interested in more Persona, Dragonatrix is doing an excellent SSLP of Persona 3 / Portable here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815625&pagenumber=1
If you're interested in more Persona 5, our confidant (HAHA HO HO HO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE) Arist is doing a SSLP of it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817009

hey isn't this illegal what if the atlus police come and arrest your ps4

ya lol

Atlus has mandated that if you stream, post video of, or show images of certain scenarios in the game before 7/7, or any of the game after 7/7, they will issue copyright strikes, contentID claims, or total channel shutdowns against you. This is markedly different from other developers who have asked "please don't spoil things", as they usually aren't threatening action against your accounts.

It's a silly rule, in my opinion, that has had a large backlash against the company on Twitter and other social media. Regardless of your feelings on the subject, we're doing the LP. If the videos get struck down on YouTube, we have other sites that aren't as policed that the videos will go on. Please don't dredge up the conversation on the footage ban in the thread; it's been discussed to death and accomplishes not a whole lot other than people getting salty.

Blind LPs Suck!

maybe, i dunno i like 'em

But this isn't blind! Baal and I both imported the game from Japan and played it (he beat it, I got about halfway through before needing to take care of real life stuff). We know the major plot points and how we're going to do the game.

Videos/Schedule

I'm aiming for a twice a week update. The beginning is mostly story based, so I won't be able to cut much fluff out, but once we get into the dungeons proper, we should be able to make some cuts to streamline the viewing experience for you.

As always, I have two playlists; one with and one without commentary, so that if you don't care much for our discussion, you can view it without.

No-Commentary Playlist
Commentary Playlist

Episode 1: The Great Escape // (NC Version)
Key Music: Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There // Life Will Change // Beneath The Mask

Episode 2: Welcome to the Velvet Room // (NC Version)
Key Music: The Poem for Everyone's Souls

Episode 3: Awaken, Arsene // (NC Version)
Key Music: Willpower // King, Queen, and Slave

Episode 4: The Mask of Zorro // (NC Version)
Key Music: Last Surprise

Episode 5: Re-infiltrating the Castle // (NC Version)
Key Music: Beneath The Mask - Rainy Day (Vocals)

Episode 6: Awaken, Captain Kidd // (NC Version)

Episode 7: The Shot Heard 'Round The World // (NC Version)

Episode 8: The Rumor Mill // (NC Version)
Key Music: Sunset Bridge

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
reserved for something?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Would making your videos unlisted prevent Atlus' bots from finding them?

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
I'm looking forward to the LP! Can't wait to see Cuckster Szechuan's Daniel Radcliff's the protagonist's terrible horrible no good very bad day.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

A good poster posted:

No, sadly. I tested this with some random movie footage and got content id slapped immediately.

I guess the goal is to upload what I can, and when they do get around to me, start uploading elsewhere.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 8, 2017

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

A good poster posted:

making something unlisted doesn't stop it from being content id'd

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Darn it, was hoping for a screenshot LP. Oh well, good luck.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Junpei posted:

Darn it, was hoping for a screenshot LP. Oh well, good luck.

I was legit working on one but it's a major time commitment in addition to videos...someone else will have to tag in and do one.

That said, if anyone wants to post a SSLP in this thread and keep it in sync with the videos, I'll gladly append the OP with links.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You are a superhero.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Name choice is A+.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Good luck with this, I'm playing the game nonstop but I've already seen many moments I'd like to see commentary and a live reaction to.

If only GiantBomb had the time to Endurance Run this and Atlus wasn't cracking down on it, I'd love to see their take on all the craziness I've seen. Still have such fond memories of the P4 ER.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
There's two completely ironic things with the anti-streaming notice: that the game itself is all about rebellion, and that a large number of their west sales came from Giantbomb's Persona 4 endurance run/let's play way back in 2009.

That said, gently caress this game is so good please go out and buy it it's incredible.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Which girl(s) are you going to date this is important.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ApeHawk posted:

That said, gently caress this game is so good please go out and buy it it's incredible.

:yeah:

slev posted:

Which girl(s) are you going to date this is important.

it wouldn't be a complete lp if you didn't date all of them

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Bookmarking this so hard.

Watched someone else stream the first 8 hours of this, can't wait for you to catch up to that.

Can we use this thread to discuss previous Persona games / Shin Megami Tensei while we wait for updates?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hello, I'm the idiot who joined Raf on this, game is good, Atlus is bad, looking forward to someone eventually telling me to shut the gently caress up about voice acting.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hell yeah!

gently caress the video game police Rafza

I don't give a poo poo about the most of the anime games, though I am watching the .hack LP cause I played that game, but I will support this one purely because of that weird bs of uploading vids and stuff.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

gently caress the video game police Rafza

Smash the Anime State

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Occupy Shibuya Station

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Thanks for the LP! Love the Persona series to death, but I've never actually owned any consoles capable of playing them except from Q and P3P. I'd get 5 but I'm going to have to wait at least 3 years for the "full" upgraded version again and I don't even have a PS3/4 :negative:

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Anyone else finds it ironic that a game about magic thieves and fighting DA MAN has such a ridiculously heavy content policing?
If I was less cynical I'd say its just atlus downright challenging people to post thing anyway...
But its just them being blind idiots and failing to realize how their actions go against the games marketing and style

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

RickVoid posted:

Can we use this thread to discuss previous Persona games / Shin Megami Tensei while we wait for updates?

I'm gonna say no for Persona 3 / Portable, mostly because we have an ongoing P3 LP currently, out of respect for Dragonatrix.

Others should be fine as long as we keep it within spoiler tags!

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
It's especially funny as it's been out in Japan for a year... anyone who wants to be spoiled has been spoiled.
I even heard that ATLUS US is collecting complaints to slap in ATLUS JP's face...

Anyway, good to see the Let's Play. I look forward to seeing what they do different from P4 and P3. I heard P5 has touches of P2 in it, as well?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Lunar Suite posted:

I heard P5 has touches of P2 in it, as well?

A little, yeah. Very minor stuff but its neat to see how they mesh aspects of all the games into P5

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game might have the worst framing narrative ever

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

GeneX posted:

This game might have the worst framing narrative ever

The only problem I have with it so far is the way it ties in the SLinks. But It'll probably be another 6 updates at least before that becomes a thing.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The only problem I have with it so far is the way it ties in the SLinks. But It'll probably be another 6 updates at least before that becomes a thing.

*checks recordings*

Ya actually lmao

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
To be able to predict when something will come up in an LP with such accuracy... you must employ the services of a veteran LPer. You'll tell me about them... won't you??

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Lunar Suite posted:

It's especially funny as it's been out in Japan for a year... anyone who wants to be spoiled has been spoiled.
I even heard that ATLUS US is collecting complaints to slap in ATLUS JP's face...

Anyway, good to see the Let's Play. I look forward to seeing what they do different from P4 and P3. I heard P5 has touches of P2 in it, as well?

I sure hope they are doing that

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I thought it was mainly Sega making the call, not ATLUS JP.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Seeing the reactions to the game and story seem like great fun. Only near the end of the 3rd Dungeon myself at the moment, but already many, many interesting moments so far.

As for the content streaming ban, it's somewhat unclear at this point whether it came down from ATLUS Japan, or SEGA. People were initially thinking it came down from ATLUS, but another SEGA-published game just released with extremely heavy streaming restrictions as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I am genuinely a little disappointed that we never got a female route in a P4 rerelease like we did with Persona 3 Portable. Not like they'd even have to acknowledge her outside the game (the poor P3FeMC hasn't even been referenced since P3P aside from an alt costume for Labrys).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lord Koth posted:

Seeing the reactions to the game and story seem like great fun. Only near the end of the 3rd Dungeon myself at the moment, but already many, many interesting moments so far.

As for the content streaming ban, it's somewhat unclear at this point whether it came down from ATLUS Japan, or SEGA. People were initially thinking it came down from ATLUS, but another SEGA-published game just released with extremely heavy streaming restrictions as well.

The English version of Puyo Puyo Tetris is okay to stream. The Japanese version of it was released 3 years ago, and still doesn't have the streaming ban on it lifted to this day.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

JT Jag posted:

To be able to predict when something will come up in an LP with such accuracy... you must employ the services of a veteran LPer. You'll tell me about them... won't you??

*holds head and shakes*

the answer is prerecordings and editing, and lots of beer

e: and hell, since we're talking about editing, i have found a way to make the footage not poo poo looking and also a way to fix my microphone so it doesn't sound so fake, so, uh, look forward to that in the near future

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 10, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ApeHawk posted:

I thought it was mainly Sega making the call, not ATLUS JP.

Sega already stated in the past they are taking a hands off approach and Atlus themselves even said in the statement they made it was a call from the JP branch, it's not Sega. That being said the Puyo Puyo thing is weird, but I don't think Sega just started doing this now and imposing this on another company of theirs when they've literally never had any interaction with it before.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I think this is mostly a major disconnect between Japanese executives and current western gaming culture. This kind of streaming/LP restriction is common in story-driven games in Japan, it's featured on game websites (often presented as a themed request from the games' characters), and is met not with criticism but with mainstream press republishing the request verbatim and with most Japanese players actually enforcing it for the company by bombarding anyone who dares to try and publish something on YouTube or Nico with disapproving comments. Not that there are even many who try.

I worked in the Japanese gaming industry for a couple of years and it always surprised me how out of touch most people there were with modern western gaming mindset. A lot of it is the language barrier - it's a cliche but it's true that the vast majority of Japanese people have difficulties reading and understanding English. The best thing Atlus America can do is collect criticism about the move from respectable sources such as large gaming websites and maybe even podcasts, translate them into Japanese and present that to management. From my experience, they're not unreasonable. They're just trying to fit Japanese sensibilities into the western market and have no evidence it doesn't work.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

orenronen posted:

I think this is mostly a major disconnect between Japanese executives and current western gaming culture. This kind of streaming/LP restriction is common in story-driven games in Japan, it's featured on game websites (often presented as a themed request from the games' characters), and is met not with criticism but with mainstream press republishing the request verbatim and with most Japanese players actually enforcing it for the company by bombarding anyone who dares to try and publish something on YouTube or Nico with disapproving comments. Not that there are even many who try.

I worked in the Japanese gaming industry for a couple of years and it always surprised me how out of touch most people there were with modern western gaming mindset. A lot of it is the language barrier - it's a cliche but it's true that the vast majority of Japanese people have difficulties reading and understanding English. The best thing Atlus America can do is collect criticism about the move from respectable sources such as large gaming websites and maybe even podcasts, translate them into Japanese and present that to management. From my experience, they're not unreasonable. They're just trying to fit Japanese sensibilities into the western market and have no evidence it doesn't work.

Your mention of podcasts just made the entire discussion come to a sudden stop in my head as I started picturing a 'lucky' atlus employee having to translate and sift his way trough the next super best friendcast or similar podcasts (though I dont think there are any quite as... unique, as the friendcast

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Arkanumzilong posted:

Your mention of podcasts just made the entire discussion come to a sudden stop in my head as I started picturing a 'lucky' atlus employee having to translate and sift his way trough the next super best friendcast or similar podcasts (though I dont think there are any quite as... unique, as the friendcast

I was thinking something more like Jeff Gerstmann's take on it on the Bombcast, which is thoughtful and to the point, but yeah - that may be asking too much of them.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

orenronen posted:

You had we right until that last line. They have a good 40 years of experience that Japanese sensibilities do not translate well to western markets. Usually they don't even try, and when they do the failure is blamed on the western audience not being interested in the title, when they do a lovely job of advertising because they go into it already beleiving that it's going to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

RickVoid posted:

You had we right until that last line. They have a good 40 years of experience that Japanese sensibilities do not translate well to western markets. Usually they don't even try, and when they do the failure is blamed on the western audience not being interested in the title, when they do a lovely job of advertising because they go into it already beleiving that it's going to fail.

But this isn't about the game failing or about its content. By all reports it seems like it's doing very well, and I'm sure they're seeing it.

This is about getting bad press, and lots of it, about a business decision. And the problem is that Japanese executives aren't even seeing the bad press because they don't read English game media. The fact that the business decision is even getting so many critical words written about it in legitimate media is proof enough there's a lot of interest in the game itself.

• Locked thread