Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

orenronen posted:

But this isn't about the game failing or about its content. By all reports it seems like it's doing very well, and I'm sure they're seeing it.

This is about getting bad press, and lots of it, about a business decision. And the problem is that Japanese executives aren't even seeing the bad press because they don't read English game media. The fact that the business decision is even getting so many critical words written about it in legitimate media is proof enough there's a lot of interest in the game itself.

It's doing well in spite of Japanese Corporate culture, I wasn't trying to suggest that the game itself is failing.

It's a vicious cycle of Previous Attempts To Bring Our Games West Have Failed -> This Attempt Will Probably Fail Because Previous Attempts Have Failed -> We Aren't Going To Devote Time Or Resources To Understand Western Markets, Because Previous Attempts Have Failed -> We Have A Western Branch, But We Aren't Going To Pay Attention To Them Because We Don't Understand Them And Anyway They Are Going To Fail -> The Western Market Is Upset With Us, Who Cares It's A Waste Of Time Anyway.

Even when they have a critical success, like this or Neir: Automata, they don't understand why it was a success, and there's no interest in finding out because there is a lot of pressure to Do Things The Way We Have Always Done Them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Episode 2: Welcome to the Velvet Room (NC Version)
Key Music: The Poem for Everyone's Souls

truckin' right along

audio is fixed starting with the next video, so, uh, sorry for the tin-sounding recording

e: if i still had a copy of USF4 i'd play anyone except i'm rusty af, miss u dudley, balrog just ain't the same

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 10, 2017

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I almost forgot that someone has this as an avatar, seems perfect for this thread.

With regards to Atlus Japan's streaming rules:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
im starting to get less concerned about this "ban" because I searched for random major spoiler videos and some of them have, like, 100k+ views, lmao

so im thinking atlus is full of piss and lies. episode 5? i think, is where we can put this theory to the test

not counting the day 1 strikes that a few people that I know got, of course, but maybe they're letting up?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
They specifically don't want anything past july 7 in-game, whuch would concern me if there weren't already full lps of the game on youtube

That said, you might be able to avoid them entirely by just keeping your videos unlisted

E: oh, the video's up. "Everyone hates you" is a bad starting premise for an rpg series that thrives on ramming its themes directly into your skull for hours on end

Jen X fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 10, 2017

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

GeneX posted:

They specifically don't want anything past july 7 in-game, whuch would concern me if there weren't already full lps of the game on youtube

That said, you might be able to avoid them entirely by just keeping your videos unlisted

E: oh, the video's up. "Everyone hates you" is a bad starting premise for an rpg series that thrives on ramming its themes directly into your skull for hours on end

It's not so much that everyone hates you as much as "You stepped out of line, and because of that you've now complicated our lives slightly, and we resent you for that".

I also feel like Coffee Dad is protesting maybe a bit too much.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
"The police are my bitchezzz" is my favourite line, I can never not laugh at it.
If that's Keith Silversteen voicing that guy, I can never take him seriously as a villain or bad guy ever since ZTD where he played the dumbest man on the planet.

Sojiro is so relentlessly unpleasant about everything it wraps back around to being amusing to me. It does feel like he's playing it up a bit.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
See, here's the thing about the prosecution system in Japan: if you think the Ace Attorney games were playing up how corrupt courts are there, boy are you in for a surprise.

It's not so much "wow, stopping a rape is considered a bad thing here" as it is "there is more physical evidence that a man was injured than there was a woman even touched, so they most likely believed him."

Not spoilers as I'm not far into the game, just not surprised at all that this is the predicament Harry Potter has found himself in. If anything, I felt they were "letting him off" light.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

Harry Potter

MC will forever be Harry Potter for me now, thank you.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I've also heard that the onus in court is on the defender to prove themselves innocent, instead of the prosecuter to prove them guilty. But I don't know if that's just latent racism from people or actual truth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

I've also heard that the onus in court is on the defender to prove themselves innocent, instead of the prosecuter to prove them guilty. But I don't know if that's just latent racism from people or actual truth.
It's kind of the truth. Maybe a little exaggerated, but the time you get to a court in Japan you're very much expected to basically be begging for forgiveness from society. There's definitely a bias against the defendant - after all, if they did nothing wrong, why would they even be in this situation? Even if they ar but en't guilty of the crime, the fact that they're even in this situation means they're probably guilty of something.

That said, it isn't as accurate now as it was in the 80s/90s. There were some big scandals in the late 90s/early 2000s that eroded a lot of public trust in police - Japanese citizens used to have one of the highest approval ratings of their justice system in the world, but it cratered pretty hard around 2003ish. Used to be 79%, these days it's like 57-ish percent. The biggest one was a blackmailing/extortion racket that some cops were running with the help of a couple of judges, if I remember right. Since it was exposed in 2000ish, that was probably a big inspiration for Phoenix Wright considering the timeframe.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

The intent is that you should never get sent to court in the first place if they're not dead certain they can convict you. Obviously there are some practical problems with that.

It's a very different system in general from what you tend to see in the former British Empire.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

RickVoid posted:

MC will forever be Harry Potter for me now, thank you.

Someone doesn't watch the videos !!!!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

boy are my arms tired posted:

Someone doesn't watch the videos !!!!

To be fair, I did just watch someone play this for 8 hours straight, so...

I really have no excuse, do I?

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Principal Fisk is the best character design and I will brook no argument about this. :smugbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

FractalSandwich posted:

The intent is that you should never get sent to court in the first place if they're not dead certain they can convict you. Obviously there are some practical problems with that.

It's a very different system in general from what you tend to see in the former British Empire.
Yes, from what I understand about the Japanese legal system--- almost all of this learned from discussion with people about Phoenix Wright---- it's a lot rarer for someone to actually be charged with a crime, as the police and prosecutors really care about having a high conviction rate. But if they actually do press charges, they will loving move heaven and earth to see you guilty.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My goodness someone else who remembers Gakutsuou.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
It's a little weird to see Daisuke Jigen owning a coffee shop and the Kingpin running a secondary school, I gotta say.

Also, that sports teacher is channeling the chin of Bruce Campbell something fierce.

God, I wish they'd gotten Bruce Campbell. Everything is better with more Bruce Campbell.

vdate fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 12, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
We'll just have to settle with Wesker for now.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Having just completed the game, I thoroughly recommend those who haven't played it to play it because it is a Good Game. Also, are you going to show off the DLC costumes, in particular the Yasogami High and Gekkougan High ones?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

Having just completed the game, I thoroughly recommend those who haven't played it to play it because it is a Good Game. Also, are you going to show off the DLC costumes, in particular the Yasogami High and Gekkougan High ones?
I was only familiar with the previous games through LPs, Giant Bomb's endurance run, the various and sundry anime and spinoff games, and so forth. I was hyped for this game's release, being a big fan of the series and of the RPG genre in general: in fact, Persona 5 was a non-zero part of the reason I chose to get a PS4 over an XBone at launch. But I also have ADD and, while liking the idea of RPGs and other long-form games, don't usually finish them.

Then this actually finally came out and I'm more than 50% done with my first run already with no sign of slowing down. Play this game yo.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

jimmydalad posted:

Yes, I will be purchasing and showing off all the costumes.

Also please do go play the game; by the time we finish this most of you will have mapped out a merciless run path lol so please go buy and play it if you can

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Raf can't record tonight because he has a child, everyone laugh at what a nerd he is

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Captain Baal posted:

Raf can't record tonight because he has a child, everyone laugh at what a nerd he is

i love my loud drooling bitey baby who won't go to sleep

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So like most people who post in the Persona thread! I'll be here all week, folks, and I'll text you whenever my schedule's free to hang out.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
At first I thought MC's past actions were misrepresented, which is why everyone treats him like crap, but nope. That cafe owner straight up goes "you protected that woman from a rapist, you deserve to have your life ruined you piece of poo poo". So everyone in game's universe is just a huge dirtbag I guess.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Not exactly, it seemed even he wasn't entirely clear on what happened, and had more information than probably anyone else who talks about the matter. That said it seems like the problem is someone of influence accused you of a violent act and that stigma follows you.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Forgall posted:

At first I thought MC's past actions were misrepresented, which is why everyone treats him like crap, but nope. That cafe owner straight up goes "you protected that woman from a rapist, you deserve to have your life ruined you piece of poo poo". So everyone in game's universe is just a huge dirtbag I guess.

"The world is not as it should be. It's filled with distortion."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Forgall posted:

the cafe owner isn't saying that, he's just saying that the protagonist has a record (which is true) so he should keep his nose clean (which is good advice) and he won't stick his neck out for him if something happens (which is fair, since you aren't even related to the guy)

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, but what basically happens is that Harry Potter grabbed the guy to get him away from the woman. The guy seems to have been drunk, so he stumbled and fell over, cracking his head on the ground or some kind of barrier. Then when the cops show up, they find a teenager standing over a bleeding guy.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Plus the attacker appears to have been Someone Important in the world at large, and that'll get you hosed up good regardless of what part of the world you live in. It's not hard to believe that his arrest and trial weren't the fairest in the land.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I would like to mention that Vidme might be a good alternative in cases where Atlus sics their robot death machines on you.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

El Generico posted:

I would like to mention that Vidme might be a good alternative in cases where Atlus sics their robot death machines on you.

Ah sweet, thanks!

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Plus the attacker appears to have been Someone Important in the world at large, and that'll get you hosed up good regardless of what part of the world you live in. It's not hard to believe that his arrest and trial weren't the fairest in the land.

Yeah, all of these things, both his power and the circumstances the cops find you in- do make for an effective opening that sets the stage for the game's themes really well.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

GoneRampant posted:

Yeah, all of these things, both his power and the circumstances the cops find you in- do make for an effective opening that sets the stage for the game's themes really well.
Yeah, if your reaction to that situation is "wait, that's not fair, it doesn't make reasonable sense that this happened like that---" then the game is doing its job.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
For those of you that check this thread through the control panel, our good buddy Arist has started a SSLP of P5 here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817009 please go check it out and vote on a name (But Not Harry Potter, As There Should Only Be One Boy Who Lived)

Video 3 to go up later tonight!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aristocrates smells like farts

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Who is the next Goonami resident to make an LP, I wonder

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

Aristocrates smells like farts

It's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I feel the audio balance should probably skew a little toward the game audio / quieter commentary.

• Locked thread