Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Just how many different ways can I find to experience this game, I wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The only problem I have with it so far is the way it ties in the SLinks. But It'll probably be another 6 updates at least before that becomes a thing.

I actually thought this was a clever idea myself, also I am not that far in so it will be fun to play this and see the reactions here

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Episode 3: Awaken, Arsene (NC Version)
Key Music: Willpower // King, Queen, and Slave

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Arsene is already great looking on his own, but paired up with the grinning, coat-wearing protagonist, and the player has never felt more stylish.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
What an incredible commercial.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ManSedan posted:

What an incredible commercial.

bing bong

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The voice that Xander Mobus uses for Arsene is basically the same as the one he uses for Dagda in SMTIV Apocalypse. In the course of this game we will run into one other character who also voiced a major character in Apocalypse.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most of the game's cast is ripped from apocalypse

So far we've gooooooot

Dagda = Protagonist
Hallelujah = Ryuji
Toki = Morgana
Odin = Kamoshida
Skins = Sojiro
Incredibly upset but somewhat tired sounding bald man who got a criminal record on you = Flynn

And various background voices are Nozomi

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 15, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Now that you mention it there really is a pretty huge cast overlap, especially for characters we haven't met. Must have been convenient.
As far as shadow/demon voices go, I know Sarah Williams does a couple signature ones now across both games.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
There's also Asahi = Futaba. I started playing NG+ in japanese and wow Kamoshida sounds super lame and not menacing at all in comparison.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Marogareh posted:

I started playing NG+ in japanese and wow Kamoshida sounds super lame and not menacing at all in comparison.
I did the other way around, playing the original run in Japanese and starting NG+ in English. Kamoshida is more menacing in English, but the Japanese voice worked really well as this arrogant loving prick who constantly talks down to you. I hated him from the moment he opened his mouth.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty sure Manabu is the new Igor voice and Nikkari is another character we're gonna see soon.

HGH posted:

Now that you mention it there really is a pretty huge cast overlap, especially for characters we haven't met. Must have been convenient.
As far as shadow/demon voices go, I know Sarah Williams does a couple signature ones now across both games.

It's very possible since this is not the first time an LCB production has had the same cast, voice director, and lines up pretty well with another game's production. See: Persona 4 Arena to Virtue's Last Reward.

Doc Morbid posted:

I did the other way around, playing the original run in Japanese and starting NG+ in English. Kamoshida is more menacing in English, but the Japanese voice worked really well as this arrogant loving prick who constantly talks down to you. I hated him from the moment he opened his mouth.

Pretty much. I prefer D.C. Douglas outright, but Yuji Mitsuya's performance is not to be discredited. He gets across what a piece of poo poo Kamoshida is incredibly well, but doesn't immediately sound as menacing. It's when he starts talking down to you that is especially gets apparent, because his voice very much gives the impression he's above you and thinks you are trash despite how nerdy it sounds.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm closing in on the finish line now with English voices all the way, and going with japanese voices for NG+. Also since i'm a masochist I went with hard for my first run and I'm going merciless for run 2, trying to somehow do even the early palaces in one day (though I'll inevitably fail at that, even on hard it took 2 days to reach the treasure in the first palace) and doing all the minor skill things you have to do to get trophies. I spent too much time skilling up on this first run, so several confidants are getting left waaay by the wayside, including a member of the party proper. Needless to say I'll also be going for every confidant in playthrough #2.

After experiencing the total delight of having certain confidants maxed I'm really looking forward to powering through them asap in run #2 and having them at my disposal a few months ahead of where I did on this run, it'll almost make the constant suffering worth it. I also expect with skipping a fair amount of dialogue and not leaving the game just on and idling my time will be a bit shorter than the 100+ hours I'm at with at least a palace or two still to complete.

Digging the LP so far, keep it up!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Confidants were a rhetorical question of mine incidentally - having seen P4, you more or less need a spreadsheet for specific days to max out all of them.

And our master thief is psycho as Joker should :perfect:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I wasn't aware we got no less than two, nevermind one Persona 5 Let's Play going. All the better. I'm going to look forward to the differences in gameplay decisions. I actually dig the commentary even through cutscenes and chatter, you two have a nice dynamic going.

And I am really looking forward to the mechanical changes Persona 5 brings versus Persona 3 and 4. You mentioning you took your time to remake an Izanagi with the best skills you could in Persona 4 reminds me of my time upgrading, downgrading and making several copies of the same persona with different skill sets just so I could transfer skills via downgrading Fool/Fool fusions. And trying my luck at Fusion accidents. And having to continuously go back and forth and back and forth for the best skill sets in the expected results. And battling the skill affinities of every drat result.

...I can hear the menu selection chimes still when I close my eyes :unsmigghh:

Still worth it for an Izanagi with Power Charge, Primal Force, Absorb Wind and after much loving chimes Repel Physical to start off with.

EDIT: vvv

NowonSA posted:

I played a lot of P4 and don't regret it a bit!
:whatup:

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 16, 2017

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

GuyUpNorth posted:

Confidants were a rhetorical question of mine incidentally - having seen P4, you more or less need a spreadsheet for specific days to max out all of them.

And our master thief is psycho as Joker should :perfect:

I think you only need to spreadsheet it on your first run, in NG+ with social stats carrying over I think I'll have plenty of time to max out everyone while also reading all the books and playing all the games. I spent a LOT of time going to movies and baths and such after all (and 10 nights spent watching dvds, bleh). It's also less grueling than it seems on the first run since lots of confidants give you bonuses to social stats just for visiting them, if I'd gone to see Ohya for the charm bonus then that alone would put me up one max Confidant, and I'm only going to finish having about 3 unmaxed at tier 3 or so each, assuming the socializing time ends where I expect it to.

It definitely feels way more lenient than in P4, where I feel like even when I went in with max everything I somehow had Naoto just barely not maxed, or something like that. I do remember doing a full S-link run though, so maybe I hit that during run 2 and finally succeeded in run 3? I played a lot of P4 and don't regret it a bit!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Ah yes, let's all talk about what we did in our playthroughs before we've even gotten past the talking-based prologue

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

GeneX posted:

Ah yes, let's all talk about what we did in our playthroughs before we've even gotten past the talking-based prologue

Pretty sure they're talking about P3 and P4, bud.

Edit: Well, maybe not the guy above you. Eh.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

GeneX posted:

yeah no matter how minor, lets not talk about future confidants please, thanks

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

By the way, will you do a max confidant run?

I mean, max social link runs on first playthroughs are always harder to do than normal relaxed runs.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Blademaster_Aio posted:

By the way, will you do a max confidant run?

I mean, max social link runs on first playthroughs are always harder to do than normal relaxed runs.

As best as I can, yes. Following a guide because I want to showcase all the content but if I screw up it may be tough to fix, so rotating saves and some minor praying

Also I'm travelling for work this week; will try to get the next video cut together and uploaded but I'm unsure how well this hotel handles YouTube uploading. Even if it does work well, I'll be taking a slight break this weekend and not uploading or editing afterwards until next week Monday.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beat the game recently and I decided i'd like to hear other people talk about it so i'll be watching this intently.

Not much to say in the early parts except goddamn do I love the Persona Awakenings in this game. I'm half convinced they chose the protagonist's voice actor solely due to the Arsene voice because it is amazing. That whole sequence rules and for the first time in a jrpg it got me real invested in a silent protagonist (though it helped the trailers showed him with a personality as well). Because drat, that speech, the outfit, how he tears off his face with the mask, and of course the persona design.

It takes about an hour to get to this scene, but even with it still being a sorta slow start, this bit here really sells this game.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Yeah things are going to be picking up soon

New video this weekend since the hotel upload was rear end

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Looking forward to this!

While we're waiting for more updates, can anybody recommend a good VLP of Persona 4? Preferably with multiple co-commentators, rather than just a single voice droning over (like a hundred) hours of footage? I probably never will get around to finishing P4 myself. :sigh:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Looking forward to this!

While we're waiting for more updates, can anybody recommend a good VLP of Persona 4? Preferably with multiple co-commentators, rather than just a single voice droning over (like a hundred) hours of footage? I probably never will get around to finishing P4 myself. :sigh:

Watch the giant bomb endurance run

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ghost of Starman posted:

The only P4 VLP I know of is the Giant Bomb endurance run, which is pretty entertaining as long as you're not looking for someone competent playing the game.

I think Kuvo streamed P4 on his Twitch at some point, but he didn't make a thread for it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

The only P4 VLP I know of is the Giant Bomb endurance run, which is pretty entertaining as long as you're not looking for someone competent playing the game.

I think Kuvo streamed P4 on his Twitch at some point, but he didn't make a thread for it.

He did indeed stream it; someone I forget the name of uploaded them to youtube, though it's missing some stuff

E: found it: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsWK5PaEcqTbkKaoBKj6jiItZO7pQnwgp

Jen X fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 23, 2017

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Ah, that's it - I knew there was an SA member that had done something like that.
Muchos gracias, goons!

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

There is also Team Four Star which did one of Persona 4 Golden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7q-NVB0HOA

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think that was abandoned last week around the time they reach Naoto because they found P5 too good to continue P4.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Shogeton posted:

There is also Team Four Star which did one of Persona 4 Golden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7q-NVB0HOA

that was a good LP.

Any P4 LP that starts with "Marie is poo poo, and if you like her, your opinion is poo poo" is a good LP.

Because Marie is poo poo :downs:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

HGH posted:

I think that was abandoned last week around the time they reach Naoto because they found P5 too good to continue P4.

It's sad it ended so abruptly but I can fully understand them not wanting to suffer through more Marie.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Captain Baal posted:

And various background voices are Nozomi

This answers questions I hadn't asked.

I also assume the reuse the poo poo out of/brought back previous VAs for misc demons because most of the... "sexy" demons all sound the same as they did in older games, despite having lines other "oooooohhh".

Edit: I'm just watching the first episode.

You guys mentioned there are 6 Persona games if you count P2 and 2 games. Why does everyone forget SMT if...?

I would imagine it counts as a Persona game since even Atlus is selling the school outfit from if... in the store for P5.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 24, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean it's proto-Persona but no one really counts it and I wouldn't count it either based on the costumes for that matter. Though if were to count persona as the games atlus actually acknowledges then it would be three games.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

C'mon. There are clearly 5 high school logos in the 20th anniversary logo.

They're at least paying lip service.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ravus Ursus posted:

I would imagine it counts as a Persona game since even Atlus is selling the school outfit from if... in the store for P5.

That... has nothing to do with whether or not it's a Persona game though? The DLC also includes things like Catherine, Raidou, and most of the mainline titles.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ravus Ursus posted:

C'mon. There are clearly 5 high school logos in the 20th anniversary logo.

They're at least paying lip service.

Gameplay evolves. I liked the first Persona games, but I think the new Persona gameplay is really nice. It's making enjoyable games, so isn't that the most important part?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Dragonatrix posted:

That... has nothing to do with whether or not it's a Persona game though? The DLC also includes things like Catherine, Raidou, and most of the mainline titles.

That's fair, I hadn't seen those.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Gameplay evolves. I liked the first Persona games, but I think the new Persona gameplay is really nice. It's making enjoyable games, so isn't that the most important part?

I like the gameplay of the older ones as well. The first 2 were great, for the time. They've aged poorly and can be hard to go back to. I'm curious how well they'd be received if they were remade today. I imagine 2 would hold up pretty well, but I imagine they'd add the social stuff to it and 2 would probably lend itself to it pretty well.

I don't know if they could slide Hitler in there though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ravus Ursus posted:

I like the gameplay of the older ones as well. The first 2 were great, for the time. They've aged poorly and can be hard to go back to. I'm curious how well they'd be received if they were remade today. I imagine 2 would hold up pretty well, but I imagine they'd add the social stuff to it and 2 would probably lend itself to it pretty well.

I don't know if they could slide Hitler in there though.

Well, Hitler's still there in the global Innocent Sin PSP rerelease, even if some of the nazi imagery was toned down. I imagine they'd still be able to fit him in if the game were made today rather than almost two decades ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm the one who laughed at Jun Fukuyama being called "the Spirit of Rebellion" it was me

• Locked thread