Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Rodyle posted:

I'm the one who laughed at Jun Fukuyama being called "the Spirit of Rebellion" it was me

same

aw yo check it out yall i'm back and slightly late on my initial promise but sall good

Episode 4: The Mask of Zorro (NC Version)
Key Music: Last Surprise

HGH posted:

The track that plays for a lot of tutorials and event battles is Keeper of Lust. It's very reminiscent of DDS and I love it for that, especially the way it ends.

Here's a polsy link so no recommendations pop up.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Last Surprise is so good it actually makes up for how many times you have to listen to it over the course of the game.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Last Surprise didn't play in this episode though?

Also now I can't stop hearing Yukari whenever Kawakami talks.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

freshlybaked posted:

Last Surprise didn't play in this episode though?

Also now I can't stop hearing Yukari whenever Kawakami talks.

You are right, I was editing a bunch of episodes and wondered why I didn't have last surprise in there, turns out the tutorial fights with Morgana all use a song that I'm having difficulty finding on Youtube

Oh well, it can stay, we'll hear it often enough moving forward

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The track that plays for a lot of tutorials and event battles is Keeper of Lust. It's very reminiscent of DDS and I love it for that, especially the way it ends.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
the soundtrack as a whole isnt very chronological

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

HGH posted:

Thank you!

DeafNote posted:

the soundtrack as a whole isnt very chronological

yeah i went through most of the soundtrack but i guess i missed it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Will Power played for the awakening and Keeper of Lust for the Morgana Zorro fight, yeah.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Just noticed that the HP/SP remaining display in combat is made to look like a name card the character holds up like he's getting a mugshot taken.

Everything about this game's style is amazing.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Glad to see you guys doing this LP. The Persona games have great stories, and I love some of the Persona designs. I'm pretty sure P4 starting Personas are meant to evoke Sentai Superheros/robots or similar. P3's did look more mythological/classical.

As for why everyone is giving Harry Potter so much poo poo... in one of the many bike threads in YLLS, a poster related that while he was living in Japan he caugh a thief trying to steal his bike, so he tried to stop him. When the police arrived, they gave him poo poo because he didn't let the thief go away with his bike and let them handle it.

So I can see why MC got slapped with assault, given that the other guy was bleeding. Add to that that he was a government guy with some influence/more trustworthy than some teenager, and that's why everyone treats Harry like he was caught selling meth to junior high schoolgirls and took one hostage when the police tried to capture him.

And of course Morgana is a cat, because this is a story about burglars. Get it? Cat? Burglars? :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Aw man now I actually feel bad that Arsene doesn't just hang out with you at all times as your imaginary friend, or at the very least regularly chip in his opinions when you're talking to people as a rebellious, super-villainous voice only you can hear.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Kal-L posted:

As for why everyone is giving Harry Potter so much poo poo... in one of the many bike threads in YLLS, a poster related that while he was living in Japan he caugh a thief trying to steal his bike, so he tried to stop him. When the police arrived, they gave him poo poo because he didn't let the thief go away with his bike and let them handle it.

:stare:

Jesus Christ man. That's pretty bad.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

JT Jag posted:

Aw man now I actually feel bad that Arsene doesn't just hang out with you at all times as your imaginary friend, or at the very least regularly chip in his opinions when you're talking to people as a rebellious, super-villainous voice only you can hear.

"yes sir kamoshida-sensei"

"ask him to dig your garden using his chin"

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

boy are my arms tired posted:

"ask him if he's wearing a pink speedo under his uniform"

mojitomojitoman
Apr 27, 2017

"Defy the constraints placed upon you and pluck out every single hair on his head one by one. Now that'll teach him."

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
This sounds utterly hilarious, but I feel it would make the protagonist laugh in FAR too many people's faces at entirely the wrong times.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
I like the idea of Arsene taking Morgana's place as eternal commentator, but those lines being suggested aren't all that fitting. Just generic mockery and snark. He's a master thief, so he should be making thief themed snark.

'Good lord, look at that chin! What's the betting it's a prosthetic he uses to stash things in?'

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Theme-based dialogue? That sounds simply unBEARable.

(For the record, Arsene Lupin is a smooth motherfucker and no mere petty prankster. He was written to be the kind of debonair master criminal who could outwit Sherlock Holmes and look good doing it. Which is exactly what he did. Unfortunately, this was in a work published without Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's permission and so Maurice LeBlanc was sued for copyright infringement.)

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 29, 2017

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Xarbala posted:

(For the record, Arsene Lupin is a smooth motherfucker and no mere petty prankster. He was written to be the kind of debonair master criminal who could outwit Sherlock Holmes and look good doing it. Which is exactly what he did. Unfortunately, this was in a work published without Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's permission and so Maurice LeBlanc was sued for copyright infringement.)

yes I learned that... by playing this game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DeafNote posted:

yes I learned that... by playing this game

Oh right, this is Let's Play.

Sorry, I'll put that in spoiler tags.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Xarbala posted:

Thus was born Detective Herlock Sholmes. No, I'm not even kidding.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bliss Authority posted:

Thus was born Detective Herlock Sholmes. No, I'm not even kidding.
That is the most spiteful :effort: ever and I still love it. :allears:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
That cutscene in ep. 3 is the only time we get a good look at the screen of the navigation app, isn't it?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Is there any chance you guys could talk less over the extremely stylish game with the great music and fun voice acting? I know there's a no commentary version but if I wanted that I wouldn't watch an LP. But you guys have literally talked over everything in the first two and a half videos I've watched so far.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Polaron posted:

Is there any chance you guys could talk less over the extremely stylish game with the great music and fun voice acting? I know there's a no commentary version but if I wanted that I wouldn't watch an LP. But you guys have literally talked over everything in the first two and a half videos I've watched so far.

i guess i'm confused, you want less talking, but the options that i made available for those that want less talking you don't want because it has zero talking?

i think we've been pretty good about letting the voice acting and music breathe, there's been several places where we don't talk at all for a little bit because they're good scenes

sorry it isn't working for you my dude!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

i guess i'm confused, you want less talking, but the options that i made available for those that want less talking you don't want because it has zero talking?

i think we've been pretty good about letting the voice acting and music breathe, there's been several places where we don't talk at all for a little bit because they're good scenes

sorry it isn't working for you my dude!

I'm in the same boat but didn't want to say anything. It's cool to hear you guys talk about interesting stuff but it gets really annoying when you're doing it over voice acting or plot stuff. This is a long game, save the waffling for when you're in the middle of a dungeon.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Coq au Nandos posted:

I'm in the same boat but didn't want to say anything. It's cool to hear you guys talk about interesting stuff but it gets really annoying when you're doing it over voice acting or plot stuff. This is a long game, save the waffling for when you're in the middle of a dungeon.

i mean, we'll tone it down a bit sure but zero talking over plot / VA is probably not going to happen, which is why i do provide the NC version

there's a lot of plot to unpack and discuss within single scenes, let alone spread out over the course of the game so saving discourse for dungeons/confidants time is not a great option

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I think the commentary is fine. Almost all of it has been on the topic of the game or game related stuff.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I wish there were more track sometimes

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Ignore the people who desperately need to hear the voice acting but are too stupid to notice the no commentary videos available, please

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A compromise I sometimes see is just NCOC (No Commentary Over Cutscenes), which seems more popular than pure no-commentary? I dunno how much extra work that would be, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

PMush Perfect posted:

A compromise I sometimes see is just NCOC (No Commentary Over Cutscenes), which seems more popular than pure no-commentary? I dunno how much extra work that would be, though.

All that would have to be done is that the audio track for the commentators is cut out for scenes they don't want their commentary getting in the way of. (Also known as the cut version.)

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I demand more commentary. Every episode should have a greater number of commentators than the previous.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

You can always watch the no commentary version first, then watch the commentary version. At least, that's what I did. The talking bothered me at first, but after watching the NC version it became much more interesting and funny. It's more work, but it made the experience more enjoyable.

Anyway, I have the game now, so i just watch the commentary version. The commentary is my primary reason for watching LPs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think it's really worth it to cut out audio just for cutscenes in a game with this insane a ratio of cutscenes to gameplay, especially early on. Having a no commentary option was probably the right call if people really need to hear the dialogue.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

The commentary is my primary reason for watching LPs.

Yeah, while the game is interesting, there are a million playthroughs I could watch without commentary. Funny, charismatic, or insightful hosts are what really make an LP stand out to me, whether the format is screenshot or video.

For what it's worth, I think Chip's method (one version with full commentary, another version with cutscene commentary cut) is the most elegant, but you'd lose so much in a game like this which is so cutscene heavy. There would be so many long gaps in the chatter that it's just not worth it. Things are fine the way they are.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Yeah, Baal and I talked it over and realistically we can tone it down some, but we're not doing the chip way of cutting commentary entirely over cutscenes; there's a LOT to talk about during them and these scenes are long and often enough that a lot would be lost; furthermore this persona is less filler grindy then p3 and p4 where you had tartarus and the midnight channel dungeons, so there are actual set pieces worth discussing. sorry, but i think it's a situation where we can't really please everyone, and we're most comfortable just bullshitting and talking about the game, and leaving our audio off for the NC versions.

that being said, new episode this week and i'll be back on track for uploading two a week like i originally promised (no more business trips, woop)

and i guess if anyone cares about dothack, i have episodes coming up for that this week too, just a bit more of a slow burn then i'd like

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Yeah, Baal and I talked it over and realistically we can tone it down some, but we're not doing the chip way of cutting commentary entirely over cutscenes; there's a LOT to talk about during them and these scenes are long and often enough that a lot would be lost; furthermore this persona is less filler grindy then p3 and p4 where you had tartarus and the midnight channel dungeons, so there are actual set pieces worth discussing. sorry, but i think it's a situation where we can't really please everyone, and we're most comfortable just bullshitting and talking about the game, and leaving our audio off for the NC versions.

that being said, new episode this week and i'll be back on track for uploading two a week like i originally promised (no more business trips, woop)

and i guess if anyone cares about dothack, i have episodes coming up for that this week too, just a bit more of a slow burn then i'd like

i care about dothack
for...
some... reason...?

also yeah, i think your commentary is fine

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

AriadneThread posted:

i care about dothack
for...
some... reason...?

also yeah, i think your commentary is fine

its a good game series! kind of! except when its not!

boy my attitude has changed real quick on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

its a good game series! kind of! except when its not!

boy my attitude has changed real quick on them

Dot hack is and was a fascinating series with lots of potential. It just happened happens to be frustratingly grindy at times and also has some content in it could do without.

• Locked thread