Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
We're back!

Episode 5: Re-infiltrating the Castle // (NC Version)
Key Music: Beneath The Mask - Rainy Day (Vocals)

To explain the delays a bit; business trips combined with recording errors and days where we couldn't get together resulted in that long delay. I have a bit of a backlog built up so we should be good to go moving forward.

.hack// is, sadly, going to need more time. I haven't been able to set time aside for it recently.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

persona 3: let's use our sport equipment

persona 4: let's smuggle replica swords under our shirts

persona 5: i brought a gun

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Good to hear that this'll be coming back. As I've no PS3/4, the LPs are presently my only way to experience them for now - and the game seems cool enough that I don't want to wait to experience it at least a little.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

vdate posted:

Good to hear that this'll be coming back. As I've no PS3/4, the LPs are presently my only way to experience them for now - and the game seems cool enough that I don't want to wait to experience it at least a little.

Yeah, the delay was really on me. I didn't expect the business trip to gently caress me up that badly, but welp

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I always get confused when I hear Japanese names in English translations. I can never tell which one is the family name. Some translators switch the name format to the western standard and some don't.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Samurai helmet teacher was P3. P4 had the pharaoh mask wearing teacher (and they're apparently siblings).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wiseblood posted:

Samurai helmet teacher was P3. P4 had the pharaoh mask wearing teacher (and they're apparently siblings).

Where's the Thief Mask wearing third sibling in P5 I feel robbed.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
The hell does that even mean? Sounds like bad translation.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Forgall posted:

The hell does that even mean? Sounds like bad translation.

He's saying "greed is good, and losers and scumbags who are jealous of their betters are destined to become criminals" in a way that is intentionally supposed to sound faux-intellectual but the translation kinda stumbles over itself

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

JT Jag posted:

He's saying "greed is good, and losers and scumbags who are jealous of their betters are destined to become criminals" in a way that is intentionally supposed to sound faux-intellectual but the translation kinda stumbles over itself

So, combination of bad translation and intentionally nonsensical verbiage?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're trying to capture this "Holier than thou" arrogant adult way of speaking that you only ever see in Japanese stuff and it comes off as a really garbled mess of words. The game has some spotty dialogue that wouldn't be out of place in your normal fansub, except most of those are more professional now too.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this being confusing. I feel like I've heard this exact sentence the other way around in a class.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
I don't know, I always thought it was more the idea that he was condemning people who fail to think for themselves and instead go along with what everyone tells them to do, especially since the lecture just got talking about Plato saying Logic is good.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

HGH posted:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this being confusing. I feel like I've heard this exact sentence the other way around in a class.

I think it might be technically correct, but no natural english speaker would ever talk like that.

It's the words "society's scum" that really don't work here

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh, I thought this was about sentence structure. Those words do feel like something I'd see in a sub, yeah.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HGH posted:

"Ignorant children who've been taught to think ambition is evil are destined to become the scum of society."

That is a similar sentence I just thought up that flows in the English and gets the same point across without using unnecessary descriptors and a bunch of unnecessary words and is just as stupidly condescending.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
"Individuality is good" is not what I expected to hear I guess.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mr. Ushimaru isn't saying individuality is good, per see. He's more making a statement about how individuality and ambition are nothing by more than concepts that help make up a decent person. Community and doing things for the sake of others are highly valued characteristics in Japan, so doing something for one's self is not viewed as a favorable trait. However, Mr. Ushimaru is acknowledging these are components that make up who we are and to ignore them is something only a child who has no understanding of other people would do.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Episode 6: Awaken, Captain Kidd // (NC Version)

Obviously, not all episodes will feature a key music section, as I may not find any of the new tracks interesting (or it may contain tracks we've already heard before.) If Baal has a track that I missed that he wants to highlight he'll probably bitch at me to update my post with it, idk

e: also no i don't know jack poo poo about BOATRACE other then the wild commercials i'd see while living in japan, i guess bote race is a big deal???

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 14, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
On the subject of Morgana's slingshots: it isn't just a matter of how real a weapon seems, or how powerful you perceive it to be. There's also a certain amount of cool factor that contributes as well. Like, Kanji fighting with a folded chair. Or Jackie Chan fighting with a ladder. Or a giant robot fighting with a yo-yo. The sheer balsiness of fighting with something that is clearly not a real weapon makes it more powerful than it ought to be. That's also why the strongest weapons tend to be legendary ones, like Excalibur or Pinaka.

e: Also, Ryuji's belt is kinda weird to me. The way it hangs, on the victory screen when he's in front it makes him look like he has no pelvis.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 15, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
On the subject of volleyballs, I have taken a number of them to the face before. At least once, I have suffered eye damage and temporary partial blindness because of it. Still preferable to a basketball to my (sun)glasses, that's just frustrating. And it keeps happening. Sunglasses cost money, but temporary (partial) blindness doesn't last long.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I'm pretty sure Kamoshida has enough skills to score without spiking someone in the face and teachers vs students is just plain bullying.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i just realized if i had any talent at photoshop whatsoever i'd shop the get smoked hat on to the kid getting volleyball cannon'd in the face repeatedly in a looping gif

e: if any of yall wanna give it a shot i'll post a raw video clip for you to work with

possible prize included?!?!?!

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 15, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

boy are my arms tired posted:

i just realized if i had any talent at photoshop whatsoever i'd shop the get smoked hat on to the kid getting volleyball cannon'd in the face repeatedly in a looping gif

Where does that hat even come from? I've seen it on a bunch of avatars on the forums now.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

vdate posted:

Where does that hat even come from? I've seen it on a bunch of avatars on the forums now.

From one of the characters later in this game.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

vdate posted:

It's a hat that one of the characters wears in game. More specifically it's the tower confidant kid

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Episode 7: The Shot Heard 'Round The World // (NC Version)

One thing of note:

There's a section that starts at 22:30 where the game hangs on the text messaging screen for, like, ten minutes. I had to answer a phone call while recording the footage and forgot to edit it out in post. It's half edited on the commentary version because I was in the middle of a good story, but I have included jumps to skip it in the description if you seriously don't care about the drug-free biker gang story, and the same goes for the no commentary version. Apologies.

There are no more annotations to allow skipping on videos directly, so if you're wondering why that isn't an option, well, YouTube killed 'em.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

It's worth noting that Captain Kidd is also a character in One Piece. This goes a LONG way in explaining how Ryuji knows about the guy.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Bliss Authority posted:

It's worth noting that Captain Kidd is also a character in One Piece. This goes a LONG way in explaining how Ryuji knows about the guy.

Is Eustass Kidd really that much like the person he's named after, though?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Solitair posted:

i have never watched one piece outside of the handful of times i saw it on saturday morning with the really goofy YAH YO YAAAAAAAAH YOOOOOOOOO song but apparently this poo poo has been going on for something like 15 years???? lmao

anyways, new video coming up tonight!!! speeding up releases because i have time now and we're prerecorded like 3/4 episodes ahead

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

i have never watched one piece outside of the handful of times i saw it on saturday morning with the really goofy YAH YO YAAAAAAAAH YOOOOOOOOO song but apparently this poo poo has been going on for something like 15 years???? lmao

anyways, new video coming up tonight!!! speeding up releases because i have time now and we're prerecorded like 3/4 episodes ahead

I think that with your current speed unless you start cutting seriously into dungeon time later on this LP is on track to continue for multiple years.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Solitair posted:

Well, it's arguable whether or not William Kidd was even a pirate whereas Eustass Kidd is a serial civilian murderer who has magical fruit-given Magnetism powers so...

e;

Like I say "arguable" but most modern sources (and by modern I mean since like 1911 or so) generally agree that he wasn't actually a pirate at all. Sure, he was tried and executed for piracy but historical evidence generally points to those being false charges.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 22, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Tzarnal posted:

I think that with your current speed unless you start cutting seriously into dungeon time later

this was always the plan to be honest, its just spring is my busiest season. there are several rooms in most every dungeon that aren't actually interesting or hold anything more than a bunch of mooks to beat up on and the thread really doesn't need to see me beat up berith for the fiftieth time

plus, i'll be either cutting or speeding past many of the non critical day-to-day stuff; once you've seen me drink a shake on sundays you probably don't need to see me do it again

its just that persona 5 is extremely, extremely front loaded with plot, more so than most other games that make these early parts really tough to edit or cut around

Dragonatrix posted:

Well, it's arguable whether or not William Kidd was even a pirate whereas Eustass Kidd is a serial civilian murderer who has magical fruit-given Magnetism powers so...

what

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Eh, the game will give you a history lesson on Kidd anyway... in school.

I forget what the teacher said.

...even in video games I can't escape school.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

One Piece has been going on for long enough that the kids who were raised on it are now creating manga as well.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

One Piece has several characters named after real pirates (and also Al Capone), but since it's a goofy battle manga, I'm not expecting much in the way of parallels to real history.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Solitair posted:

One Piece has several characters named after real pirates (and also Al Capone), but since it's a goofy battle manga, I'm not expecting much in the way of parallels to real history.

That's a huge problem with real history, mind you

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

That's a huge problem with real history, mind you

If it's all the same to you, I personally prefer my crime bosses not to be able to fit their entire criminal organizations (plus an entire fortress' worth of fixed emplacement weaponry) inside their torso.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Solitair posted:

I mean I don't think the real Captain Kidd was a skeleton with a sweet Gun Arm riding on a hovering boat either and yet, here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Bliss Authority posted:

I don't think the real Captain Kidd was a skeleton with a sweet Gun Arm riding on a hovering boat

are you 100% on this because my Book of Awesome History disagrees

• Locked thread