Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
People are going to have a hard time giving up treating servers like poo poo and being treated like royalty for ordering a cheeseburger because lording over a small tip isn't something you can do with a robot. Just adding "oh and the server was rude" isn't going to be the magical pass phrase to getting whatever you want and getting a little power kick over getting someone fired for perceived slights against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Covok posted:

This should never be the case to begin with.

But it is. When customers are fighting a losing battle with a manager over some ridiculous demand of theirs almost 100% percent of the time they tack on "oh and the server was rude" despite being true or not because it usually works. When I was a bar manager I got tired of arguing with people so I would just say the server will be "dealt with" and that would mollify them because customers will unabashedly lie about anything to feel like they're in the right with regards to food staff. Then I would tell the server not to worry, it was all for show so the customer wouldn't call the owner. Because the owner would simply fire people without much investigation.

I once had this woman straight up talk poo poo to me the entire time I was making her drinks and then I couldn't take it anymore so I threw the drinks away and told her to leave. I'll never forget how absolutely ecstatic the look on her face was when it happened because she finally got we she needed to call the next day and try to get me fired. The only thing that saved my job was I told the owner she was mad because I wouldn't let her buy food for the bums outside. Bums in the parking lot were the owner's arch enemies and he constantly complained their presence cost him business.

Best thing I ever saw was a server who said gently caress it one day and wrote down her name in a piece of paper and told a customer "My name is Kelsea, if you got a problem write about me on Yelp." She had just gotten a new job and wanted to quit and having a customer call you out by name on yelp is a surefire way to get fired in the service industry. The hotel chain I work for now has automated the process and has data servers that will monitor social media so if you tag any Mariott brand on facebook or twitter and complain about a specific person it'll red flag that person and management will come and get you. Same thing with comment cards in retail. Anything less then 4/5 or 8/10 stars and you're practically begging for them to fire someone.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Let's also put this into perspective: Wait staff already has an exception to minimum wage laws because they make most of their money through tips. That isn't going away because it's close to free labor that improves the dining experience dramatically.

Any evidence of this whatsoever?

• Locked thread