Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

My guess as well. I'm guessing that the brown haired girl in the ED that we haven't seen yet is also another creator, probably Meteora's.

Either that or I'm guessing she's Celestia's artist. (Since there was a writer credit and an artist credit on the LN.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if the girl hit by the train at the beginning was the catalyst for the plot?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if the girl hit by the train at the beginning was the catalyst for the plot?

Undoubtedly. I'm guessing she's either Chuuni-hime's creator or the main character's sister (or creator if plot twist is that he's fictional as well) or both. Really could be anything at this point, but obviously important.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Undoubtedly. I'm guessing she's either Chuuni-hime's creator or the main character's sister (or creator if plot twist is that he's fictional as well) or both. Really could be anything at this point, but obviously important.

She is almost certainly the creator of Military Uniform Princess or actually is Military Uniform Princess, there is a lot of symbolism in the OP indicating as much. Also you don't make a scene like her suicide the very first scene unless it is very important, I would guess her suicide is what touched this whole thing off. Going through the shots in the OP:

After the shots of our various fictional characters come to life we transition to a shot of Souta holding water in his hands, this transitions to a shot of suicide girl drowning, indicating some form of connection between her and Souta, possibly that he is in some way a reason for the girl's suicide. Next we have a shot of MUP's face, drained of all color and surrounded by skulls, rather obviously indicating death, this transitions to a shot of MUP's face filling with color, the skulls turning into flowers and MUP opening her eyes and coming to life. Either MUP came to life on her creator's death and gained some of her creator's memories, or her creator in some way inhabited MUP's form and personality, essentially merging the two of them together.

Also MUP's specific use of the word "collide" when talking about joining the fictional and the real worlds seems to be important, the characters noted that the phrasing was unusual during Meteora's recount of her conversation with MUP so there is probably some significance there, the only connection I can think of at this point is that the word usage is indicative of MUP's origin/identity, after all when you are hit by a train you collide with it, you don't connect with it. I'm going to assume that there is some deeper meaning to the use of the word collide but we don't have enough details to really make much out of it at this point.

All of this is just pure speculation of course, I might not even be interpreting the images in the OP correctly, take everything with a huge grain of salt.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

This show is really cool and I hope it stays really cool, because sometimes Rei Hiroe can go to some pretty loving weird places.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Grouchio posted:

"He's just the narrator. The story is actually hers.", aren't they opening lines in episode 1? They never specified who is being referred to here.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

"He's just the narrator. The story is actually hers.", aren't they opening lines in episode 1? They never specified who is being referred to here.

It's pretty obvious who the "he" is but still somewhat ambiguous who the "her" is. My first thought was Selesia but she seems no more important to the plot than the other fictional characters. It's most likely gonna end up being the suicide girl since she has absolutely no other connection to the plot thus far.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

It's pretty obvious who the "he" is but still somewhat ambiguous who the "her" is. My first thought was Selesia but she seems no more important to the plot than the other fictional characters. It's most likely gonna end up being the suicide girl since she has absolutely no other connection to the plot thus far.

Well yeah, I was actually paraphrasing and the kid himself said "I'm". I think its the suicide girl too whose story this ends up being, which is why I quoted that post when making the comment.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I'm on board with Last Anime Hero as a concept, but so far anything that wasn't comedy relief seemed kind of flat. Thankfully comedy was a large part of these first 2 episodes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Elite posted:

I'm on board with Last Anime Hero as a concept, but so far anything that wasn't comedy relief seemed kind of flat. Thankfully comedy was a large part of these first 2 episodes.

Would you class badass action music paired with cutesy magic attacks and sound effects as comedy relief? Because so far I think they've done a great job of making even the fights fun, exciting and funny as well.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Would you class badass action music paired with cutesy magic attacks and sound effects as comedy relief? Because so far I think they've done a great job of making even the fights fun, exciting and funny as well.

Sort of yes? There's definitely something funny (or at least silly) about a soft and cutesy magical girl inadvertently causing CARNAGE AND DEVASTATION when she goes on the warpath. So I don't think the action was bad, but it was often used to set up jokes and I didn't really get a sense that much was at stake so I mentally tied the action in together with the comedy.

But to be more specific about what didn't work for me, I thought the main dude was extremely bland and my interest dropped dramatically when the show tried to take itself slightly seriously. When it's having fun with the idea I liked it, when you had plot conversations I didn't.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I get what you mean, but you need to have speculative exposition at some point or it will seem like the characters aren't trying to address this situation at all.

This is also an Ei Aoki show, where slow and steady build up is how things work. This has been pretty much a less-edgy Fate/Zero so far.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I hope Selejia's creator becomes a regular on this show, he and Sota provide a nice counterbalance to all this crazy poo poo going on around them

You at least have to give him credit for this: his waifu of choice is (or at least appears to be) a grown-rear end woman of strength and character, rather than an imouto or moeblob. That puts him ahead of >95% of LN authors already.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

You at least have to give him credit for this: his waifu of choice is (or at least appears to be) a grown-rear end woman of strength and character, rather than an imouto or moeblob. That puts him ahead of >95% of LN authors already.

I mean, keep in mind the women in Black Lagoon. And if we're lucky, maybe the boy will turn into Rock.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

chumbler posted:

I mean, keep in mind the women in Black Lagoon. And if we're lucky, maybe the boy will turn into Rock.
The boy must be stabbed by his shapeshifting mom if he has any chance of becoming like Rock.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was surprised that the magical girl was able to (directly, anyways) outfight Selejia. Her attacks seem to move fairly slowly and don't seem that useful in melee range (and I would imagine Selejia knows how to use that sword she fights with). It's like "melee fighting prowess" is a common attribute for vanilla magical girls to have.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I was surprised that the magical girl was able to (directly, anyways) outfight Selejia. Her attacks seem to move fairly slowly and don't seem that useful in melee range (and I would imagine Selejia knows how to use that sword she fights with). It's like "melee fighting prowess" is a common attribute for vanilla magical girls to have.

Keep in mind Selejia is primarily a mech pilot, not a swordfighter. Also, I feel like she probably didn't really want to hurt a literal child.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Astro Ambulance posted:

Also, I feel like she probably didn't really want to hurt a literal child.

I dunno it seemed like she came really close to cutting her stomach open and only avoided doing so because magical girl jumped back in time.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think she changed her mind after being smashed into the ground that hard.

Also MG girl is basically lobbing bombs relentlessly, there's not much Selesia could do.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'm the first person in this thread to call this "Drawn Together: Japan Edition"? Really? Okay then.

I too am having a lot of fun and hope they don't get too dark with this. You know, besides the opening suicide scene. But because of that I can also see this going pretty Madoka-y if that's what they have in mind. Here's hoping they stay more on the goofy side.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mirage posted:

I'm the first person in this thread to call this "Drawn Together: Japan Edition"? Really? Okay then.

I too am having a lot of fun and hope they don't get too dark with this. You know, besides the opening suicide scene. But because of that I can also see this going pretty Madoka-y if that's what they have in mind. Here's hoping they stay more on the goofy side.

I very highly doubt this is gonna go full Urobuchi, but I do think this is gonna be a more cerebral take than normal anime.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Mirage posted:

I'm the first person in this thread to call this "Drawn Together: Japan Edition"?

but this show isn't edgy garbage

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm pretty sure that people who remember drawn together fondly enough to compare other shows to it are much less common than you are supposing

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I'm personally under the impression of the entire situation being a sort of time slip. That is, the girl who committed suicide in the beginning and our MC should have met and created Military Princess. However, something something happened and now some sort of paradox has been unleashed?
Alternatively, the girl and boy were childhood friends who made some comics together but the boy has mostly forgotten all about that. Maybe she kept on creating while he stopped.

Either way, I'm believe that, at the very least, our current MC is the artist behind Military Princess.

Best scene of the episode was Celestia(?)'s god leering over her. At that point, you'd just have to say "God, dammit" and mean it literally.,

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What, did the third episode already come out?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grouchio posted:

What, did the third episode already come out?

No, all this is from 1 and 2.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I wasn't a huge fan of this episode. It had some good jokes but other than that it was all exposition.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of this episode. It had some good jokes but other than that it was all exposition.

Ei Aoki has real problems with keeping that short and/or interesting. Remember the exposition power hour that kicked off Fate/zero?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, not the best episode. Pretty slow and not much payoff. Also it's still not really clear what the show wants to do with its setup. There isn't much of a motive for either side to really push things forward.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, not the best episode. Pretty slow and not much payoff. Also it's still not really clear what the show wants to do with its setup. There isn't much of a motive for either side to really push things forward.

I'd assume that things are going to come to a head once the reform faction encounter an uncooperative author. They're pretty desperate, by all indications. That, or someone seriously awful is going to get let out of the world of fiction and go on a killing spree.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

third episode was good because it had cool character development moments: selesia and her author bickering, selesia acting like an older sister to sota, the white haired girl hopes her author put effort into her, literally everything the purple hair guy says. i dont know how you can watch all that and come out thinking it was all exposition

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

The high point of this episode was the musical cue joke. Probably because it involved minimal verbiage.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I loving loved Selesia not knowing about events that's happening in her manga because she's from the anime, that's an amazing gag

This show really speaks to me as someone who's about to graduate with a degree in Media Arts & Science. I'd definitely say it's passed the three ep test with flying colors

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I loving loved Selesia not knowing about events that's happening in her manga because she's from the anime, that's an amazing gag

I also loved that she demonstrated the wisdom to know that pursuing that information would probably be a terrible idea. A character in any other show would immediately be fixated on changing their future.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is anyone else having problems with the meek doormat protagonist?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grouchio posted:

Is anyone else having problems with the meek doormat protagonist?

I don't think he's really supposed to be the protagonist here. He even says he's just the narrator at the beginning.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
he's an awkward dork who's favorite fictional characters are suddenly all coming to life and beating each other up with zero explanation. how the heck would you act in that situation

and yeah, it's not like he's even the main narrative focus of most of the stuff that's happening

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i really liked this episode. it was slow but it was really sweet and had lots of funny gags mixed in with the exposition. selesia is cool

i'd say it was a lot better about it all than fate/zero, mainly because it centered around interactions between characters i actually like

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 23, 2017

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

This show is really good, including the third episode.

One thing I'd be interested in seeing given the new info in episode three is a character who differs from their canon because the fandom has largely transformed the character (FF7 Cloud vs. how people remember FF7 Cloud, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Flip Marina and Selesia with Tappei and Subaru from the Re:Zero anime about LN spoilers.

See what happens. :getin:

• Locked thread