Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Someone pointed out to me that the last episode had ten animation directors.

It seems like the animation studio bit off more than they could chew.

That's interesting, because it's almost entirely by the same team as Aldnoah Zero, which was good-looking all the way through despite being far more action heavy. Has Hiroe done much anime writing before, or was he purely a mangaka? Because script delays can really squeeze a production. That, or being two-cour rather than split-cour is screwing their scheduling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, someone translated all that text about MUP at the end of the last episode.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
As far as I know he's a pure mangaka.

Although, it's not like mangaka are renowned for missing deadlines.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I saw /a/ talking about that but it was all just vapid talk with people just making the logical leap of "oh, 10 directors -> this is BAD" instead of considering or discussing possible context for it. Analyzing staff creds isn't as cut-and-dry as just counting big numbers and frowning. I think it's a weak topic to pursue until someone knowledgeable elaborates on what was going on with the ep, like if it was fully outsourced and divided between several studios, or if the names are from within the studio. How many directors did episodes previously have?

anyways, Altair is a great name for our cool twintail princess. I'm excited to see what the story focus for her brings. Will she continue the show as an aloof antagonist? I totally wanna see her softer side, and hope strongly for good empathetic development that eventually leads to her bonding with other chars and eating awesome food with them. also, someone should steal her hat

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vengarr posted:

As far as I know he's a pure mangaka.

Although, it's not like mangaka are renowned for missing deadlines.

True, but anime is a quite different format to write for, and that'll slow you down regardless of your work ethic. He's already apologised for making the show a bit too talky, which is a common pitfall - comics don't have text delivered in real-time, so big speeches have much less of an impact on a chapter's pacing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I actually like Celestia more than Meteora. She's a surprisingly un-cliche character who seems really down to earth and intelligent. I like how in the beginning she didn't flip out and do a bunch of goofy stuff in response to learning about her being an anime character, etc.

Meteora is also fine, but she's very much a Nagato Yuki-type character.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Space Flower posted:

I saw /a/ talking about that but it was all just vapid talk with people just making the logical leap of "oh, 10 directors -> this is BAD" instead of considering or discussing possible context for it. Analyzing staff creds isn't as cut-and-dry as just counting big numbers and frowning. I think it's a weak topic to pursue until someone knowledgeable elaborates on what was going on with the ep, like if it was fully outsourced and divided between several studios, or if the names are from within the studio. How many directors did episodes previously have?

For reference, episodes 1-4 had a single director. That guy did not work on ep 5, and instead they brought on 10 dudes to work on an episode with about 5 minutes of actual animation and 15 minutes of lip flaps.

quote:

The animation director’s key role isn’t to ‘direct the animation’ per se (although they have varying levels of input depending on the person, studio and schedule). Their position is basically about consistency. They check all the key frames being created for an episode and make corrections where necessary so that the drawings are as close to the models for the series as possible. In some cases, they may have to redraw entire frames, or make adjustments to timing and movement (mostly, this happens for OVAs and movies). They are one of the four core staff positions for an episode (screenplay, episode director, storyboard, animation director). Key frames may also be checked by the episode director.

Animation directors tend to be more experienced animators and are paid more for the role. However, it is their responsibility if things go wrong with the animation, making it a potentially very stressful job, especially under time pressure. Often, an episode of anime will have more the one animation director, and this can be a sign of scheduling problems, with more people needed to complete the episode satisfactorily and on time, or even a sign of many poor drawings needing correction. It can also be because animation directors are being used to their specialties (ie. an animation director brought on to handle a mecha sequence, or to handle drawings of animals), or an indication that it was a difficult and demanding episode with a lot of drawings.

I can't see it as anything but a bad sign.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I hope the villains succeed in blowing up the planet in episode 12. Episode 13 opens with the credits, then smash cuts to Rei Hiroe's living room. All of the characters get pulled into the real world. The second cour is live action of the animation studio holding cooking contests to appease the characters as they marvel at how much better the food tastes.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I was about to say, the ultimate twist would be that the entire story as we know it is taking place also in a created world.

Not that it would be a good twist, just kind of amusing.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Zodack posted:

I was about to say, the ultimate twist would be that the entire story as we know it is taking place also in a created world.
Uh, well, how do i put this...

It is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Stuff happened! There was still a whole lot of really repetitive talking in circles, but at least something is happening now.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
You'd think someone would have gotten meteora a smartwatch to pair with the phone, for quick speed dials.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Kanos posted:

Stuff happened! There was still a whole lot of really repetitive talking in circles, but at least something is happening now.

Serial killer lady seems to find Meteora's exposition repetitive too!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Did Meteora talk too much again?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Serial killer lady seems to find Meteora's exposition repetitive too!

Man i was so glad to see that she just took the chance and went "later then, shitlords" while the :airquote:heroes:airquote: were locked in their monologue battle

I mean she still took forever to back off but i was all "YES! Finally, thank you!" when she just walked away

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

At least it wasn't such a monologue this time. Armour Woman's superpower is managing to get a word in edgeways while Meteora is expositing.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Magical girls are a sort of nuclear deterrent. You exposit/argue because if you fight too much you make the magical girl stressed and then she starts *~*<3explode<3*~*-ing things.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's kind of interesting how completely garbage in a fight the protagonist animes are. Life sucks when you're a mech pilot without a mech and a story exposition NPC and you're forced to fight people who were actually written to be good at fighting on foot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

It's kind of interesting how completely garbage in a fight the protagonist animes are. Life sucks when you're a mech pilot without a mech and a story exposition NPC and you're forced to fight people who were actually written to be good at fighting on foot.

I imagine the JoJo escapee will end up as a major asset, though. Well, him and Mamika.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Is there a discussion/analysis somewhere about where the each characters are taking notes from? It's kinda unsettling how some of these characters feel so familiar but not quite so.

The new character feels threatening in a Fate/Stay -esque manner, and the fictional anime poster looked like it was heavily inspired by Baccano! (it's in the OP)

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 13, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dessel posted:

Is there a discussion/analysis somewhere about where the each characters are taking notes from? It's kinda unsettling how some of these characters feel so familiar but not quite so.

The new character feels threatening in a Fate/Stay -esque manner, and the fictional anime poster looked like it was heavily inspired by Baccano! (it's in the OP)

They're simply inspired by popular archetypes, though there have been a few joking suggestions from fans about which particular characters folks are based on:

https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/863483572577079297

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, I really hate the milquetoast protagonist of this show, so it's probably for the best that he's got fewer lines than most side characters so far. Why on earth is he keeping MUP's identity a secret again?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mordja posted:

Man, I really hate the milquetoast protagonist of this show, so it's probably for the best that he's got fewer lines than most side characters so far. Why on earth is he keeping MUP's identity a secret again?
Because the plot called for it. It's like the show is squandering it's potential in real time. :sadpeanut:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 14, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
because he's a useless little weiner that the other, better characters drag around for no particular reason. if he did something useful then that would betray the basis of his character.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mordja posted:

Because whatever his link with and knowledge of the creator of Altair is is his only reason to still exist in the plot right now, so him telling the oddly competent government organization about it would neatly shuffle him out of the picture and we can't get rid of our milquetoast audience projection character yet.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I would keep watching this show just to see what character names are yet to come. Alicetaria February and Blitz Talker are some grade-A anime names and I love them

Certainly more fun animation in this episode than the prior two. I really like how loose and strange the movements are for Lie-Lie Girl (they never got her name did they?)

https://my.mixtape.moe/anwdpg.mp4
https://my.mixtape.moe/iltllf.mp4
https://my.mixtape.moe/zvipeg.mp4

This shot cracked me up. "Things are getting bad, sure hope this government bureaucrat is near her phone so I can actually fight back!"

Mordja posted:

I assumed he feels guilty/complicit in her suicide for some reason and didn't want to have to explain it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Supposedly sympathetic people not sharing critical information is something that happens far too often in anime generally, and it's always annoying.

Urban Fantasy Villain looks like fun, her power seems particularly suited to dealing with her exposition-loving fellow creations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, i like the Cthulhu fan a lot, too, and she's almost exactly the type of villain i came up with when i spend a couple minutes thinking about what kind of character i'd introduce to this premise, except a little younger. Jaunty, far-reaching motions, trying to have fun, smiling/smugging a lot, revels in taunting everyone around her. I even had her with freaky eyes, though i pictured orange ones, and hidden behind shades instead of just walking around closed-eyed all the time, for dramatic glances over the glasses. It's kind of spooky how well they nailed it.

a kitten posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Also nailed it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The dialogue this episode somehow managed to be worse than Meteora's monologues. I don't think we learned anything at all, and if we did, it still wasn't worth all of that tepid talking. I would make a "Show, not tell" rant except they nailed the new character's introduction perfectly. Then they followed it up by monologing her outlook on life and her personality. In case you somehow missed the deep subtleties of the schoolgirl killer...?

Even the fighting scenes weren't interesting.

I can't go on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

because he's a useless little weiner that the other, better characters drag around for no particular reason. if he did something useful then that would betray the basis of his character.

A reminder: By six episodes in,:

Madoka Kamane had saved the life of one of her closest friends at great personal risk and accidentally revealed one of the horrifying truths of the setting
Atsuko "Akko" Kagari finally knuckled down and realized she'd have to work her rear end off if she wanted to make her dreams come true
Yes I'm Kazuma had died, defeated one of the world's greatest warriors, killed a demon general, and convinced the wonderful world at large he was a total turboperv
Luluco had saved a third of her father's brain and accidentally tossed her hometown halfway across the universe in her attempts to protect it from her space pirate mother
And Naota Nandaba stepped up to the plate and knocked one out of the park.

Meanwhile, Sōta Mizushino has... refused to relay information that could be vital to the continued existence of the human race.

Yeah. He's not exactly setting a new quality record for everyman leads, is he?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Vengarr posted:

I can't go on.

You will though

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think I will check back on this if it ever becomes interesting again.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Important question: Is re:creational use of anime acceptable in society?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

At first I liked the concept of the Magical Girl being the strongest character in a real world without bumper pads. But now I'm actually getting into the power-level competition. Is it still the crazy sparkle hearts? Or the different bullets? What's the demon girl holding back? What if Selesia got her mech? What is Meteora's great power? Will mech pilot kid successfully pick up those chicks?

I guess this show is fun or something.

Also, the pacing is fine. It feels like it's going more for setting up the environment, characters and seeing a blend of styles rather than rushing through the plot points, and I'm ok with that. Also weird opinion: I think the talky exposition has been within acceptability limits. You got to build lots of characters simultaneously, even the ones sitting there listening.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

What is Meteora's great power?

She took the super bomb-bullet to the face like a champ.
Her great power is that, as an NPC, she has no health meter.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

AnacondaHL posted:

At first I liked the concept of the Magical Girl being the strongest character in a real world without bumper pads. But now I'm actually getting into the power-level competition. Is it still the crazy sparkle hearts? Or the different bullets? What's the demon girl holding back? What if Selesia got her mech? What is Meteora's great power? Will mech pilot kid successfully pick up those chicks?

Also, the pacing is fine. It feels like it's going more for setting up the environment, characters and seeing a blend of styles rather than rushing through the plot points, and I'm ok with that. Also weird opinion: I think the talky exposition has been within acceptability limits. You got to build lots of characters simultaneously, even the ones sitting there listening.

yeah this show's fine. jesus christ the audience is full of whiney shits. like a few people on the internet start whining about the pace of things, then everyone needs to jump on the loving bandwagon and amplify this signal, when in reality poo poo is happening each and every episode and new characteristics are being steadily bought up

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Phobophilia posted:

yeah this show's fine. jesus christ the audience is full of whiney shits. like a few people on the internet start whining about the pace of things, then everyone needs to jump on the loving bandwagon and amplify this signal, when in reality poo poo is happening each and every episode and new characteristics are being steadily bought up

The audience complains about the show and then the characters from the show emerge into real life to defeat the complainers

I'm glad Mamika seems to be turning into a good guy now, but we'll have to see how that gets resolved next episode

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

It's odd that Mamika seemed to have a problem with villain girl; dealing with obvious cackling evil should very much be in her wheelhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

That stuff is the potentially cool and fun stuff about the show which they've only just started getting into by actually having the animes interact in a big group.

Talky exposition can be useful for character building. The talking between the various animes in this episode was good character building; it established Alice as hopelessly stubborn and clinging to a dream regardless of having holes poked in it, new girl as enjoying playing with her food before she kills it, BLITZ TALKER as being surprisingly reasonable and patient when talking to a magical girl despite looking like he would come from a Golgo 13 spinoff, etc.

Meteora sitting in a room reading off the script while everyone else nods or makes small noises of assent doesn't do this in any way. It establishes the joke that Meteora is a plot dump NPC but nothing else.

• Locked thread