Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

I just have the whole episode on repeat in my brain, even the musical guest.

I know people in here complain about the mixing, and their first number was way too relaxed, but I'm thinking the audio problem has to do with broadcast standards. Vocals and dialogue can't exceed a certain level, so they're pumped up as much as they can be, and everything else is mixed to fit it and try not to compete. Listening to the difference in level between the musical act and the sketches reminds me of the level difference between any given show and the commercials.

The music sounds just as bad live. I saw the Emma Stone show in December. It's not a great space for music. It might even be better if they played on the main stage, but they have them in the cramped side stage.

Of course, I saw Shawn Mendez sing live, so that also might have contributed to why it sounded so terrible. I always said that if I went to a live taping, I would never clap and would boo loudly if it was a terrible music guest. When the time came, I didn't want to be that rear end in a top hat, so I clapped. I still hate myself. Shawn Mendez is godawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ArtVandelay posted:

When the time came, I didn't want to be that rear end in a top hat, so I clapped.
Nobody ever does! But at least you weren't hooting and hollering enthusiastically.

Right?

Some quick hits in the news--

Jay Pharaoh Almost Cut From SNL For Pointing Out Lack Of Black Female Comedians

quote:

Pharoah stopped by the radio station Hot 97 to talk about his relationship with the weekly sketch show, which still sounds really tense. His biggest problem with the series? “They put people into boxes… whatever they want you to do, they expect you to do," he said. "I’m fiery too… I’m not a yes n----."

Pharoah was let go from the show eight months ago, after joining as a cast member in 2010. He told the radio station that the first ripples started to form back in 2013 when he starting pointing out the lack of diversity in the cast. "I was at the audition and I think me speaking up, they were ready to get rid of me in 2013, September," he said. Even if it put him in hot water, he still stuck around performing his memorable impressions of Jay Z, Barack Obama, and other notable black actors like Denzel and Will Smith. In response, the show did take his advice and cast two new Black comedians (Sasheer Zamata and Leslie Jones), but the overall conflict between him and the other writers persisted.

After Trump's election, Pharoah told the writers to just let him continue his impressions, but they were slowly disappearing from the line-ups. "If you really noticed, for the last year and a half, they didn’t do any Obama sketches” he said. “ I was like, ‘Just let me do my character and we’ll be fine."
Not sure about the timeline there, as he was off the show by the time of the election, but interesting insights all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zj0UuBy4RI

What 'SNL's' coast-to-coast live experiment says about our streaming habits, second screens and the Trump factor

quote:

Before this season, “Saturday Night Live” — like much of the late-night comedy landscape — acted primarily as a delivery system for bite-size, shareable clips that could be watched again and again in the hopes of going viral online. It’s the sort of strategy that once favored Fallon with genially goofy “Tonight Show” segments like “Lip Sync Battle,” but that has been supplanted by more pointed political material from the likes of Colbert, Seth Meyers and John Oliver.

However, the recent lift in ratings for “SNL” has led the show to take chances with bits targeting viewers outside of the YouTube circuit. A gag with cast member Kate McKinnon portraying Kellyanne Conway with her legs folded recurred three times during a March episode, which could only have been caught if someone was watching the show straight through.

[Melissa McCarthy's] performances have made such a far-reaching impression that Spicer even referenced one of her sketch’s gags about a mobile podium during a news conference in March.

“That’s the part I didn’t like,” McCarthy told The Times in a recent interview. “I was like ‘No! It’s not us’ [gesturing to two people] making that joke, it’s we’re making that joke.

“I had a moment of fear about that when he was like, ‘Don’t make me move the podium.’ I thought, No, that’s not your joke to make,” she explained.

Still, a sense of inclusiveness is part of the reason behind “Saturday Night Live” opting to live up to its name across the country. “That way, everyone is in on the joke at the same time,” Greenblatt explained.

I really think it's mostly due to the hockey playoffs stuff I mentioned in the first reply.

Alec Baldwin Thinks S.N.L. “Head Writer” Donald Trump Deserves an Emmy

quote:

lec Baldwin’s scowling Donald Trump impression might be on its way out relatively soon, but for now, Saturday Night Live is still making hay—and Baldwin is still cracking jokes. The latest? On Wednesday, the actor quipped at a George Washington University–held talk that Trump and his gaffe-prone White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, deserve more credit for their vital contributions to the sketch show.

“Trump is the head writer of Saturday Night Live,” Baldwin snarked. “Him and Spicer, they’re going to win an Emmy this year.”
There's also a bit of chat about what Emmy baldwin could possibly win for his Trump turn this year. Spoiler alert: It wouldn't be for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy or Variety Series.

After Decades of Crafting Fake Ads, ‘Saturday Night Live’ Plans Real Spots for Verizon, Apple

quote:

Viewers who stick around for the ads either during the April 8th or the April 15th broadcast of NBC’s late-night institution will glimpse a spot for Verizon written by “Weekend Update” anchor Colin Jost and featuring cast member Kenan Thompson. The bespoke pitch is part of an ongoing effort by NBC and executive producer Lorne Michaels’ hardworking crew of satirists to make the show more compelling to watch live, rather than via clips the next morning.

“Everyone is struggling now in a world where there is so much media,” Michaels told Variety in an interview. “We are all competing for sponsors, and everything is being reinvented. ‘SNL’ has been reinventing itself from season two.”
If this is the spot they're talking about, then it's all wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGEgifW5v-s

An extended 60-second version of that ad ran after the first Chainsmokers song. It doesn't appear to feature Kenan. I don't know what the spot is, it would seem it was pulled at the last minute. Maybe we'll see it this week - there is currently a 30-second Verizon spot scheduled immediately following Weekend Update.

If you've any interest in the show, reading the rest of the Variety article is recommended.

And finally, if you haven't seen it, Fallon and Styles cut a trio of cute promos this week that go beyond the usual Host-and-guest-and-cast-member-standing-on-home-base-making-a-few-lame-jokes format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_CX5uuJlWA

Again, tonight: SNL is live in all time zones. 11:29/10:29 Eastern and Central as always, and 9:29/8:29 Mountain and Pacific. If hockey runs late, SNL may be late. The same show will repeat in it's normal time 11:29 time slot in the West, dunno about Mountain, as the live broadcast will run a half hour into their normal start time there.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Can't wait for Jimmy Fallon. It's like if you took all the best SNL characters from the 2000s and combined them into a single person. And then that person goes home and you have to get Jimmy Fallon instead.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Here we go!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

are the writers already on strike?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
They've got trump wearing a Russian flag pin. How long has that been a gag on here?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

They've got trump wearing a Russian flag pin. How long has that been a gag on here?

since the first time iirc

pwn
May 27, 2004

Who's standing over there on guitar...?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I wonder if they're gonna make any jokes about Jimmy tussling the Donald's hair or if he's still deeply ashamed of that moment like he should be.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

pwn posted:

Who's standing over there on guitar...?

Nile Motherfucking Rodgers

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

oh i get it they're attempting to get david bowie's spirit to come and strike Jimmy down and finish hosting the show himself

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

DC Murderverse posted:

:lol:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
How long do you think until Fallon breaks character in a sketch?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

uh Jimmy, this isn't the Tonight Show, you actually have to at least attempt to be funny here

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I love those singing SNL monologues, but I've always had one problem with them: too many jokes!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is pretty unimpressive

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Okay, I'm a big Bowie fan and this is a great song and all...but idgi

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Youth Decay posted:

uh Jimmy, this isn't the Tonight Show, you actually have to at least attempt to be funny here

The funniest thing Fallon ever did was laugh at himself in sketches so well probably get a little of that

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Instant Sunrise posted:

How long do you think until Fallon breaks character in a sketch?

He already did

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna keep quoting this post as long as it keeps being accurate, which will be the entire show except for WU (unless Fallon stinks up the Update desk tonight too)

edit: my theory continues to gain steam as our first "real" sketch is Family Feud aka SNL Impression Clearinghouse

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 16, 2017

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I have an irrational dislike of Jimmy Fallon, and that "monologue" certainly didn't help things

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

harry styles giving an appropriate amount of effort to his Jagger impression

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DC Murderverse posted:

harry styles giving an appropriate amount of effort to his Jagger impression

at least he looks the part

Kenan is carrying this sketch

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I thought Mick Jagger was played by Melissa for a few seconds.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Time for our sketch about 2017 celebrities...let's namedrop Twilight and a pop act from 2004

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Youth Decay posted:

at least he looks the part

Kenan is carrying this sketch

That's what he always does

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I figured it out! Jimmy Fallon went into the writers room, told them that he wanted an entire sketch to revolve around his old Travolta/young Travolta dueling impressions, they told him to gently caress off, he complained to Lorne, and Lorne "gave the writers the week off"

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Team 2006

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Okay there it is.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Ha you could see Fallon's head in the frame when he ran across the stage

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FishBulb posted:

Ha you could see Fallon's head in the frame when he ran across the stage

I gotta give him and the costumers props for that

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I would watch the hell out of this play.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

These little shorts about theater kids they've done are SO ACCURATE it hurts

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

exploded mummy posted:

I gotta give him and the costumers props for that

Yeah I assumed they were gunna just film one of them like they did for Dana Carvey Bush/Perot back in the day

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Push El Burrito posted:

I would watch the hell out of this play.

uh, it's Legally Blonde The Musical. The first show I ever saw on Broadway. It's amazing.

Youth Decay posted:

These little shorts about theater kids they've done are SO ACCURATE it hurts

I get the feeling that most of this particular cast were totally dorky theater kids in school so it makes sense.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

HOLY loving poo poo LCD SOUNDSYSTEM ON SNL THIS ALMOST MAKES UP FOR JIMMY FALLON EXISTING

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Informed Teenager Facebook Post, the commercial.

DC Murderverse posted:

uh, it's Legally Blonde The Musical. The first show I ever saw on Broadway. It's amazing.

Done by a middle school?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Push El Burrito posted:

Informed Teenager Facebook Post, the commercial.

Done by a middle school?

I've seen it done by high schoolers, which is really almost the same thing

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think Jimmy Fallon was a bad SNL cast member but a good Tonight Show Host, come at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

Nile Motherfucking Rodgers
thank you

DC Murderverse posted:

I wasn't aware another strike was looming.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a54442/hollywood-writers-guild-of-america-strike-2017/

If it began May 1, then... tonight's episode would likely be the season finale

It's funny that Dwayne Johnson is scheduled to host the May 20 finale. He was also the scheduled host for the November 10 2007 episode... which never happened due to the 2007-08 WGA strike.

• Locked thread