Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

You're all stupid Borges Babys, later editions of Fictions contained a story from 1936 that originally appeared in History of Eternity, called The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim, which is a review of a book in which a Law student in Bombay murders someone then flees across India, hoping to find the perfect man (Al-Mu'tasim). He finally reaches the palace, pulls back the curtain, and the book ends. The review then has like a page long footnote about the Conference of the Birds, and how The Approach to AL-Mu'tasim closely follows it in themes. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

Finished the book last night. I found it interesting that my copy ended with another parable/allegory after the birds discover the Simorgh. From reading the introduction, it seems like there is an epilogue that wasn't included in the Penguin classics version, as well.

I don't usually read poetry so this was a bit of departure for me, but I found the language really beautiful and I'm definitely looking for more.

If you're interested in more modern Arabic poetry then you should read Adonis. There might be other people writing poetry in Arabic atm but no one bothers talking about them because they're not Adonis. He also does cool essays on things like Sufism + Surrealism and Arabic poems from the past that are not written by him, Adonis.

• Locked thread