Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
I got a copy of the Penguin edition at the library yesterday, but didn't get a chance to begin it until today. The language of the translation is really engaging and esoteric sects and their doctrines fascinate me more than anything else, so I have a feeling this book is going to be a favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

quote:

A man whose job it was to keep the peace
Beat up a drunk, who fought for his release
And cried: "It's you who's tippled too much wine;
Your rowdiness is ten times worse than mine --
Who's causing this disturbance, you or me?
But yours is drunkenness that men can't see;
Leave me alone! Let justice do its worst --
Enforce the law and beat yourself up first!"

"gently caress the police" - Farid Ud-Din Attar

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
Finished the book last night. I found it interesting that my copy ended with another parable/allegory after the birds discover the Simorgh. From reading the introduction, it seems like there is an epilogue that wasn't included in the Penguin classics version, as well.

I don't usually read poetry so this was a bit of departure for me, but I found the language really beautiful and I'm definitely looking for more.

• Locked thread