Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So we got a tabby and apparently they're as stinky as they are affectionate. I know this because a coworker of mine adopted a tabby roughly at the same time and when we compare notes it appears that they just have the ability to clear the room with a fart and the cat box needs to be cleaned like immediately. We didn't have this problem before with two different cats on the same food. There's also no burying issues or anything. We're using some multi cat walnut based litter that's supposedly supposed to be the bomb but it just won't stop smelling.

Anyway, it reeks, like bad. What's the best litter and litter box to keep him from stinking up the entire basement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Buy a butt plug for your cat.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Change the food.

Fix the problem, don't try to cover it up. Go for something with less protein and crude fat. Usually they are in the 35% protein and 20% fat range. Look for 26-28% protein and 16-17% fat.

It fixed my cats atomic shits.

I mean seriously, if you couldn't stop farting and gagging yourself you'd think "What the hell did I eat?" and not "Where can I buy bulk febreeze?"

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 11, 2017

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
Semi-comedy answer because while it will keep your litterbox fresh and tidy, it's throwing money at a problem that can be more easily addressed like the poster above me said by changing the food.

Some cats have the equivalent of lactose intolerance so they don't digest certain ingredients very well. While your non-smelly cat might be okay with the current food, new tabby might have a more delicate GI tract that responds by making GBS threads out death. I'm a filthy yuppie so I try to look for foods that don't have a lot of carbs or fillers that cats can't digest anyway, and I can definitely tell that the shitsmell changes depending on what kind they're eating. It's poo poo so it's always going to smell bad but I prefer normal stank > death stank.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

legit: what are you feeding, op?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
1/4 can Friskies tasty treasures wet each twice a day and iams indoor weight and hairball control bowls left out 24/7.

We completely swapped out the litter and cleaned the boxes after a long winter and they smell less but holy crap our tabby can still cause us both to gag when he farts.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 24, 2017

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
So change the food.

Mom Party
Dec 12, 2015
Maybe try a higher quality food. I had really great experiences with Taste of the Wild. It has two different flavors last time I checked and both wet and dry food. Its not too expensive but the ingredients are waaaaaaaaayyy higher quality. Feeding your cat Iams is like giving it McDonalds everyday.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

1/4 can Friskies tasty treasures wet each twice a day and iams indoor weight and hairball control bowls left out 24/7.

We completely swapped out the litter and cleaned the boxes after a long winter and they smell less but holy crap our tabby can still cause us both to gag when he farts.

go grab some 4health canned from your local tractor supply. It's pretty cheap and it's been my standby when I end up having to feed a can. Friskies is pure garbage and so is iams. that's why their asses smell like death. sorry dude.

I feed homemade raw and there's pretty little stank from the cats and pretty little waste, to be honest. You don't have to jump into the raw thing, but generally with cats kibble is the low end tier, wet food is the next best up, and whole prey, raw, or premade frozen raw from the grocery store/pet store are your better/best choices. And it doesn't make your kitty mouths anymore toxic than they already were.

As far as litter goes, I use horse stall pine pellets. You can get'em from your local tractor supply or feed store. 40 pounds for $5 isn't bad and it pours out in two seconds. For litter boxes, I use 10 gallon sterilite tubs with a hole cut on one side and the top on. Instant closed cat litter bin for like $5 and 10 seconds with a reciprocating saw.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My cat's poops used to be diabolical, so we decided to try Blue Buffalo. It worked for our dog with digestive issues, and it was worth a shot with the cat. Worked great! She still acts like we're underfeeding her, but her box no longer smells like satan's anus after a sulfur deposit.
Not sure what difference it makes, if any, but she's a black, domestic short hair, and not a tabby.

E: Also another shout out for Taste of the Wild. Solid pet food. Blue Buffalo is just more easily available at our local pet stores.

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
I have two cats that poo poo nuclear grade turds. Unfortunately I can't change their brand of food, as it was prescribed by their vet because they throw up anything else I feed them. They're both 15 years old so I'm chalking this up to old age, but it still sucks.

I saw an advertisement for one of those 3 tiered stacking litter boxes the other day. Does anyone have any experience with those? I figure if I cant make them stink less I can at least make disposing of it easier, but I've been burned by "convenience" products on Amazon before, so I dont know.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Brewmaster posted:

I have two cats that poo poo nuclear grade turds. Unfortunately I can't change their brand of food, as it was prescribed by their vet because they throw up anything else I feed them. They're both 15 years old so I'm chalking this up to old age, but it still sucks.

I saw an advertisement for one of those 3 tiered stacking litter boxes the other day. Does anyone have any experience with those? I figure if I cant make them stink less I can at least make disposing of it easier, but I've been burned by "convenience" products on Amazon before, so I dont know.

It sucks when your animals are on prescription food because most of them suck as far as waste output goes. I've never tried the three tier stackers. We just have totes with a small hole in one side and it tends to kill any scent pretty well.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
I have had a few sifting litter boxes and all of them have been too small and the walls were too short for my 10 lb cat who loves to kick litter everywhere. Finally made my own by getting 3 40(?) gallon plastic totes that nest real well and drilled holes in the bottom of one of them. Instant giant, high walled, sifting litterbox. It is a little bit of a hassle to lift the sifting box because of the weight of the litter, but even skinny goon arms can do it. Keeps my hands away from scooping turds at least. :v: Between that and the Litter Robot, my 4 worthless cats always have a clean place to poo poo.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Brewmaster posted:

Had a couple for a few years. I'd rather scoop.

They sift just fine, but then you have to dump them out into a bag and I never found a way to do this that didn't make a mess.
Hellacopter's totes might be easier to dump due to the higher walls.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I switched my cat over to Taste of the Wild and I don't think I'm having the same experience as everyone else, because his poops are incredibly loving gnarly now. Like, they never smelled good, but they're absolutely murderous ever since then. They also look like they have a weird "creamy" consistency like soft serve and :barf: It doesn't help that he is incapable of covering his turds.

Is this just him getting used to the food, or does he not agree with it? I thought better ingredients and a higher protein content would make him smell less, not make it worse.

If it helps, this is the one I'm feeding him: https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/cat-formulas/rocky-mountain-feline-formula-with-roasted-venison-smoked-salmon/

Protein: 42% minimum; Fat: 18% minimum.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 19, 2017

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah that's because a bunch of cats and dogs are getting sick off Diamond pet foods. Again. And taste of the wild is a diamond brand. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/diamond_dog_food.html

I've been recommending people switch to Earthborn. They're one of the companies out there that doesn't have anything to do with diamond.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yeah that's because a bunch of cats and dogs are getting sick off Diamond pet foods. Again. And taste of the wild is a diamond brand. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/diamond_dog_food.html

I've been recommending people switch to Earthborn. They're one of the companies out there that doesn't have anything to do with diamond.

Holy poo poo. I had no idea about this. Alright, gently caress that poo poo, he's going on a new food diet. Worse comes to worse, I guess he's going back to Science Diet :sigh:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Or its because your cat is like mine and too much protein makes their poo poo stink as I already posted waaay up there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I thought more protein was better? I would have expected cats to be healthier on a high protein diet than otherwise.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It is. It also makes cats have atomic shits sometimes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I get to choose between less-healthy cats or atomic shits. :cry: Maybe I'll just keep the window cracked open and invest in a gas mask.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It's not like less protein in a diet means the cat is going to keel over from protein deprivation or something.

Not sure if you think that, but the cat will do absolutely be fine with a lower protein diet.

not_that_hardcore
Jul 7, 2017

changing the food could definitely help.

poop is never going to smell great, but if the odor is that offensive, i'd consider underlying issues

i would bring a fecal sample to your vet to check for intestinal parasites, especially if the cat is gassy.

also, "cat probiotics" are a thing. my vet recommended them a while back when one of my cats had horrific poops. the supplement comes as a powder in little packets, which is sprinkled/mixed in with wet food https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Forti...=cat+probiotics

as for litter boxes, i'm a big fan of this PetSafe Self-Cleaning Automatic Litter Box. with amazon prime, it's $70 right now. it's worth the price and paid for itself by saving me $$$ on cat litter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GF0X38/ref=crt_ewc_title_gw_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

good luck

not_that_hardcore fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 7, 2017

not_that_hardcore
Jul 7, 2017

i originally came to this subforum looking for any mention of the Litter-Robot III Open-Air. since this thread is already supposed to be about litter boxes, i'll post here

anybody have one of these?

i know $449 is absurdly expensive for a litter box but i'm actually considering it. i recently took in another cat, so i now have four cats. the PetSafe Auto Litter Box is quite good but i still have 2-3 regular boxes to scoop. my cats are super picky about cleanliness - if i don't keep their boxes pristine, they will poo poo in my potted plants

i also recently got a small dog who of course loooooves to eat clumps from the litter box, so it's been necessary to keep a baby gate in the doorway of any room where i put one. i really hate that my office room has turned into a cat bathroom, and the baby gates are inconvenient. the PetSafe box is totally exposed on top, and i'm thinking my dog wouldn't be able to reach into the Litter-Robot as easily, plus it cleans itself more often so there would be fewer clumps sitting around tempting the dog, and the reservoir looks less accessible to a hungry pup

the return policy / warranty is reassuring too

thoughts?

https://www.litter-robot.com/litter-robot-iii-open-air.html

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
When I got one of my cats, she was a scrawny flea-infested mongrel with HORRIFIC smelling diarrhea who didn't believe in using the litter box. After a course of antibiotics and deworming (no signs of worms, just figured we should do it anyway) her diarrhea stopped, her poo stopped smelling bad, and she started (mostly) reliably using her litterbox. She still doesn't "get" burying her poo despite having a fellow cat and me demonstrate the technique.

anyway if diet doesn't fix it, your vet might be able to fix your cat's stinky butt via deworming/antibiotics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

not_that_hardcore posted:

i originally came to this subforum looking for any mention of the Litter-Robot III Open-Air. since this thread is already supposed to be about litter boxes, i'll post here

anybody have one of these?

Late response here, but I have this box. Overall it's pretty good but mine has been a little finicky the whole time I've had it. It occasionally gets stuck, or decides the drawer is full when it's not, so it stops cycling. It has some quirks, so I just try to glance at the box twice a day to make sure it's happy. I'd rather deal with the issues than have to scoop boxes every day.

Before this, I had a Litter Robot II, which was a bit more reliable imo, but also louder and more cramped inside for the cats. The base on my LR2 died after 4 years of use, and I replaced the base only and continued to use it for another 2+ years; it still works but it's grimey and old so I got the LR3 about 2 years ago. So overall a pretty reliable machine. It's expensive up front, but if you figure the monthly cost if it lasts 4+ years, it's really not bad. I also use less litter than I used to.

I have 2 cats and the LR3 is my only litterbox. I only had to empty the drawer once a week with the LR2, but with the LR3 I have to do it more like every 4 days because the sensor says the drawer is full a long time before it is truly full, so it stops cycling. Also the LR3 is really big. If you're planning to keep it in a closet or similar tight space, be sure to measure the doorway first.

My dog has no problem getting snacks out of the LR3 before it cycles, so I do have to keep it behind a baby gate.

• Locked thread