Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe the problem is people are tired of democrats being 90 percent Republicans. Like that's the poo poo that fuels people claiming both sides are just as bad.

But no it was all those evil Republicans why Obama was so willing to bargin away the social safety net. Or the rotating cast of villianous democrats being the reason why we couldn't get a better healthcare deal.

Radish posted:

The whole idea of "well no one votes in the mid terms so why bother" is a self defeating strategy much like their mentality of blaming voters for not coming out or telling them their votes aren't needed because they don't believe enough in the party or aren't the right type (middle class suburbanites) of voters.

That's not true the Democrats would love more than anything else too have their base made up of White Middle Class "Moderate" Republican Suburbanites.

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Radish posted:

It still amazes me that Democrat Obama tried to bargain away parts the safety net for magic beans and we were saved by Ted loving Cruz of all people (admittedly since the deal wasn't evil enough).

What did you expect him to do with a Republican Congress, not destroy the key legacy of their party in the 20th century. You have to think of the political capital - A.V.S.P

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I think with the whole the person is smart/ people are stupid I've always seen as an indictment of mass hysteria and mob thinking. Where people will ignore all rationality and behave reactionary and lash out. I think the US inbetween 9/11 and the Iraq war going south I think is a good demonstration of that thing. Not that mass action is always wrong but hysteria does sweep crowds.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Radish posted:

The Democratic leadership is old as hell and totally out of touch (when Pelosi has to fumble for an answer to who are the party's standard bearers and can only mention Obama and Hillary...) so I have no idea where they think another Obama level charismatic person is going to magically appear from.

Hasn't that the Democratic leadership is older than the CCCPs was in its last days been an on running joke since November

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

With how successful the Republicans are and the kids gloves they're treated with in the media just proves how Americans are penny wise and pound foolish.

That and how Aaron Sorkin has poisoned the mind of a generation into believing his lovely political fan fiction is how things work.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Radish posted:

I'm hopeful that 2016-2017 has blown the lid off the Sorkin fantasy for most people, even if the politicians in charge haven't quite caught up yet. There's a lot less idiotic talk of working with Republicans that totally for reals care about not burning the US to the ground and plundering the ashes just disagree on the method of making things better.

It hasn't, the liberal pundits and the brain dead lanyard class are still deluded into believing this fantasy. The politician class maybe catching on, but with the rest they still cling to it in desperate fantasy

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Unfortunately there are still plenty of liberal voters that fall into this thinking. Especially the type that view ideology as a dirty word so they still swallow the Sorkin poison pill of Fukuyama that we've found the solution to all of our disagreements and it's just a matter of finding the right solution and that ideology is over. Just look no further than all of these think pieces about the scourge of populism, or that portray the new rising tide of fascism as populism instead of something fascists use to gain support. It's part in parcel at the heart of the anti democratic feelings of these Sorkin fantasies. So people are still being poisoned by these idiots

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

:agreed: Plus like I've said before, every generation has its version of "The West Wing," or "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington," etc, etc.

Still, I did find Chapo's take on it pretty funny.

Of course the big difference being that Harry Truman or anyone else in political power never tried to govern like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is how politics actually work. Unlike many modern democrats who act like the West Wing is a how to guide to politics. It's directly responsible for cursing us with Ezra Klein and Matt Yglesias.

The problem with Sorkin and the West Wing, to paraphrase Amber Lee Frost from Chapo is that it's The Last Man and the End of History the show. It's decided all we need to do just tweak the right policy and everything will fall into place. Insisting that these are not ideological positions when they without a doubt are. And the Democrats are heavily invested in this idea of a post ideological ideology they bought into over 25 years ago and after everything that happened with Obama and Clinton that should have dispelled this notion they still cling to it

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

It wouldn't, but it does reinforce the toxic beliefs of a bunch of them that want to retreat into fantasy and act like the world works like a lovely fictional political drama. Which is outside of how lovely the Clinton's and other Neo liberal democrats were in the 90s. And you can feel the Sorkin influence every time Matt Yglesias write a piece about why sweat shop labor isn't a big deal or every time Ezra Klein goes out and blows some right wing think tank ghoul because he has good arguments or is respectable or whatever.

The West Wing is not responsible for the rot of corruption in our politicians but it has rotted the minds of those who would become lanyards and even regular voters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

I agree -- this fight was always going to be fought eventually, and our saving grace is that Trump and Bannon turned out way more incompetent (if still incredibly dangerous) than we expected. If Hillary would have won we would be fighting the exact same fight 4 - 8 years from now, with a way better organized and cunning alt-right -- and likely someone smart enough to know how to use them.

But that's the accelerationist in me talking. Maybe in those 4 - 8 years with Hillary in office would have given the Berniecrats long enough cover to take over or reform the party. Hopefully this is a large enough wake up call to start some real reform in this country (although I'm really worried that the dem establishment still hasn't got the memo).

In those 4-8 years Hillary would have had all the Berniecrats purged for insufficient loyalty

• Locked thread