Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Really not sure what you expected a Democratic president with both parts of Congress controlled by Republicans to accomplish, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

Obama was a great Republican. He manage to pass a Heritage foundation right-wing health care plan through a fully Democrat controlled Congress. He also managed to promote great right-wing ideas for gutting public education.

So the solution for Democrats not being able to leverage their position is to become even more like Republicans by eating their own and forcing out moderates?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Typo posted:

honest question, at this point, what defines a moderate democrat?

I mean the democrats were definitely centrist/center-right in the 90s but have being shifting to the left with every electoral cycle: someone like bernie would have gotten 10-15% of the vote tops if this was 2004

According to this forum,

quote:

anyone to the right of Stalin

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

R. Guyovich posted:

the republicans did that and got both houses of congress, the supreme court and president trump. what is your point here exactly

They got that by having a base that actually votes, not specifically by guillotining their own.

Having the Democrats eat anyone to the right of Zizek will alienate the few remaining moderates and then the Democrats never win an election again because they're about 40 years too late in the "If you ever vote for the other party, you will lose your job and family to evil" messaging department.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

they dont have to eat anyone, they simply have to treat the left wing of the party's base with the same respect as everyone else

they won't do this obviously, because doing so is incompatible with their radical centrist third way stuff

I thought they already completely ignored the left wing of their base.

You're giving me mixed signals here, and I suspect that's part of the problem with the Democrats: They can't offer a coherent message like the Republicans.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

How many of those 62 million rightfully assumed that she didn't give two shits about them?

Given the option of choosing between "Person who ignored me completely", "Person who lied to me and told me what I wanted to hear", and "I'm not choosing", the majority of people would choose 2 or 3.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I'm having a hard time remembering how many general election stops Hillary made in the Rust Belt. You know, that area where eight years of time passed and the only progress was that gays could get married, as opposed to any sort of economic recovery.

Someone have that figure handy?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Her policies would've helped them much more than his .

Edit:

The TEN (!!!!!) most popular governors in the country are all republicans... That's bad.

https://morningconsult.com/governor-rankings-april-2017/

It's a good thing she campaigned on policy rather than "TRUMP BAD GROPING MAN" then.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

So I think I figured it out.

It's Obama's fault that the Democrats lost seats for not actively trying to be a leftist president, but it's Trump/the media/the voters' fault(s) that Hillary lost despite taking a firm watered down milquetoast stance between Bernie and 1990's Republicans positions.

In conclusion, in order for the Democrats to beat Republicans, they need to become Republicans but more left.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Let's talk about my Free College and Booze and Guns and Weed plan.

It's simple: When you graduate from high school, the government sends you to college, and if you graduate, you get all the booze, weed, and guns you want.

It's a really good plan and the one thing stopping me from enacting it is that I didn't run against and lose to Donald Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Giving Tax Credits for student loan relief isn't "republican lite" it's good policy and would help a lot of people.

Because it still doesn't solve the problem of "How do I pay for college without taking out enormous loans I'll never be able to pay off or discharge?"

• Locked thread