Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just bought my first tent that cost more than $40 from k-mart, a REI quarter dome, during their rad yearly sale. I put it together in my living room and now can't wait to take it somewhere. New hobby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am completely new to hiking and camping and car camping. I went on my first car-camp last weekend in the desert and didn't die, so :toot:. Here's a collection of things that I've found useful so far:

Backpacking and Gear Megathread
The thread that starts off by saying ignore checklists before providing you with like three pages of checklists

Backpacking Checklist Generator
This checklist generator was a great start to figure out what the gently caress. It definitely over-recommends a ton of junk (lol bearspray in the central california coast), but at least reminded me to pack a bowl. For eating.

Reddit's CampingandHiking Wiki
Reddit is a cesspool but this was a organized place to poke around and find things

How to spend money at REI by REI
Essentially a sales brochure for overpriced unnecessary crap, but at least is worth a read to know what I didn't want.

I'm also going to pick up The Complete Walker IV, because I want to read about outdated camping gear.

Anyway, I hope Cunningham's Law will take effect here.