Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've gone camping 3 times.

First time was with a group of 13-14 people, so it was basically just moving into the woods with my college friends. I'm not sure it counted, I didn't need to move a finger, beyond acting as a porter to bring in the coolers.

Second time, I went camping as my buddy's bachelor party. Again, it was a group event (though only 8 people this time). Again, people knew how to handle their poo poo, I didn't have to fend for myself at all.

We went to a Yurt in a state park.
Wasn't my house, therefor, camping.

I'm hoping to work up the courage to say to my wife, "let's go camping" and back it up with action.

My question for you guys: What drives you to go camping? I like nature, I like going out and not dealing with nonsense from my day-to-day, but I simply cannot prioritize this poo poo at all. Got any tips on how you guys find the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

wesleywillis posted:

Discomfort.

Sleeping on a rock, making GBS threads in a hole, pissing in the bushes.
Burning yourself trying to start a fire, getting bitten by mosquitoes.

Well, I sold the idea. We're going camping this weekend! Over night Manistee. I'm very excited. We're bringing the doggo, who's bound to go loving bonkers. :3:

EDIT:

All done.

Doggo, in fact went bonkers. She was super put off by randos as they hiked the trail and didn't seem to be much at ease.

We didn't prepare properly for the nighttime cold and got little sleep, but otherwise had a wonderful time. We've scheduled another camping trip in the next month too. poo poo yeah goons.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 27, 2019

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Steely Dad posted:

Update: I took him to a KOA last night, after several rounds of equipment testing and dickery first. Went well, he had a blast, and now I want to get more ambitious. Turns out they didn’t allow fires in the tent area, so we roasted our marshmallows over a butane camp stove, which was fine by him, but now I need to hunt down an option that allows fires.

Solid dad move. My parents never took me camping (both from large cities). Turns out, as an adult, now I feel like I'm constantly intruding or playing pretend. Takes some of the fun out of it, but luckily it's more fun than it's not.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Oh yeah, for the other goon, but anyone else who might be hesitant.

Outdoors https://imgur.com/gallery/PVCtGWM

Went bikepacking. Had fun. Meet a charming little rattlesnake.