Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Hello, I'm into rockhounding. I'm part of a gem club and they go on field trips out to places to collect locally sourced gem-quality petrified wood and agate. Sometimes I strike it out on my own in an attempt to find new previously unknown sources of material. Unfortunately due to Covid, I'm not able to attend the field trips nor am I able to travel to some of the more far-out dig sites, but I still have access to some pretty cool rocks I'd like to share with you all.

edit: vvvv yeah? Sweet, here's some of my latest finds. I can make more of an effort post later but please enjoy these in the meantime

a big white agate I pulled out of a stream in the Cascades, looks like if I cut it open it might have a cavity full of crystals

here's an agate still in its host rock that I collected a few miles up the forest road from the streambed agate

these are agates from the same location, except they had naturally weathered out of the host rock

This one was naturally cracked open to reveal an amazing banding pattern + crystal cavity

This is a load of petrified wood from Central Washington State that's currently on its fine-grit stage of polishing in my 12lb Thumbler tumbler

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

learnincurve posted:

You should totally make a rockhounding thread with this post as the OP, rocks are super cool.

Rockhounding thread is live here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935237