Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Steely Dad posted:

Is it thread necromancy to post here about being new? I am a dad who plans to start taking his kindergarten-aged kids car camping this year. I haven’t camped in 20 years, so first I’m gonna solo car camp a few times so I can at least put the tent up and start a fire
without looking like Clark Griswold.

I took my 2 year old camping for the first time last summer. The nighttime was super rough, but he loved the rest of it. We did a super small campground I knew, so with fire ring and tent pads, but not too many people (I have only done back country for like 15 years). Did the whole classic s'mores, crawdadding, etc. So awesome to see it through their eyes.

Plan ahead though, poo poo has changed in even the last decade! Know if you need site reservations, if fire bans or other restrictions might be an issue, site sizes, restroom facilities, etc. Call the park if you can with really specific questions or go do a drive through prior to booking/heading out, assuming that's an option. Don't ask the reservation 800 number, they don't know, call the land management agency as worst case scenario. Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Steely Dad posted:

I'm aiming to go on my first solo car camping trip this coming Thursday and Friday nights. I'm in northern California. I was originally going to China Campground in Big Sur, but that's kind of on fire at the moment. I found a last-minute spot at Cole Creek Campground at Clear Lake, but setting up at a tent at a popular boating site that's like 3 miles out of town isn't really the kind of camping I want to do. It seems like really just a half-step from a KOA, and I want to be further away from people.

So I'm thinking about trying to find a dispersed campsite in Mendocino National Forest. Is this a dumb thing for a relatively inexperienced car camper to do? Like I've got a making GBS threads bucket with a toilet seat on top and everything, and I've camped at a site with no hookups before, and it's only for two nights, so I'm pretty sure I can keep myself alive. But how likely am I to get lost in the woods or high center my FWD CX-5 on a fire access road or get killed and eaten by a mountain lion or start a forest fire or whatever?

e: also, should TGO have a dumb/small questioqns megathread?

Do you have friends or family that disperse camp that area? Here in OR, if you ask around, there are lots of "popular" disperse camp areas in most of our forests. Reduces a lot of the getting lost/high centering vehicle and other associated concerns as frequently they have good, and easy road access, are easy to identify and are normally near a "feature" like good fishing or swimming.