Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tuesday morning I asked my buddy if he was in this year. By nightfall we had an engine.

And this car is our entry, which he paid $400 to drag out of the the junkyard.

Got mounts, accessory brackets and some random rear end crap at the junkyard on Wednesday, dressed the engine and put a ($7!) timing belt in it on Thursday:

New and busted, old hotness.

Good Friday saw a junkyard fuel pump (car is carbed, motor is EFI) and belt tensioner. Motor should be bolted in by lunchtime Tuesday, then on to electrical. Should be fun, wires were indiscriminately cut while pulling the last engine because the plan was to send the car (back) to the crusher.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Which junkyard lets you remove a car? I want to go to there.

Also a Fox body has like eight wires. You can skip seven of them if you don't want a stereo.

Someone better bring not a Ford because otherwise I bet we're going to potato famine the entire population from some common EEC fault.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Weeeell dragged is a strong word. It was a running, driving 3.8 car and it only spent a day in the staging area at PNP, he worked there at the time. Same deal as 1500quid's Scirocco basically. The origin of this car is a story for another post though.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 17, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man I really like that fox body. I've never been a huge mustang fan but that style with those headlight arrangements just do it for me.

So switch and I did some more work on the Lincoln, I will let him do the main write up because he was taking the pictures, but here's a couple I took after the fact.

1, sway bar bushings because one of them looked like this:

Also I had to blacksmith the gently caress out of the swaybay bushing's bracket because Grandpa Ron ran this thing over a parking barrier or something and bent the absolute gently caress out of it.

2, we did rear brakes. This side looks ok.

This side, not so much. :barf:

I would like to crib from my drunken ramblings on slack from an hour ago to express myself here. Whether or not these notes are correct, I don't give a gently caress.

quote:

just drums in general, they are, without any hyperbole, my most hated general maintenance thing to do on a car
I was getting legit mad at those things
I just don't understand how people thought they were in any way superior to disc, or why they were even dreamed up in some opium haze
They're harder to make, they're harder to service, they are much weaker for the same size, fade is a huge issue
WHY YES, I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THREE SPRINGS HOLDING EVERYTHING TOGETHER IN A LITERAL HOUSE OF CARDS STYLE ARRANGEMENT. I CAN TRUST THE SAFETY OF MY FAMILY TO A MAN WHO WOULD DESIGN THIS

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Part of what we did on the Town Car was convert the alternator from a classic "2G" Ford alternator (as seen on every 80s-ish Ford car and some trucks) which has two problems:

• Very low supply ability (this one was 60A) which is incredible for a car with this level of electrical bullshit and
  • The fact that the wiring harnesses like to catch fire due to the fact that Ford breaks the harness into two separate charge wires which are individually fused for half the load and have a corrosion-prone quick-disconnect connector which allows the alternator to short past the fuses, which is what thankfully caught only minimal fire on ours before we got it.

To solve this problem, the PO replaced the alternator with a shiny rebuilt unit which did nothing to solve his problems. Then it sat in his yard for years until he hit a rock with his lawnmower and smashed the side window, at which point he gave up.

As mentioned in the original post of this thread, we pulled a 130A alternator out of an OHV Taurus/Sable and paired it with a wiring harness out of a 1997ish F150 in order to get its delightful 175A maxifuse. Here's a little more detail on how we did it.

The important part is this modification to the alternator, which allowed it to swing enough on the Town Car's stock alternator bracket to achieve the appropriate tension for the serpentine belt:

Slung achieved this cut freehand with a portable bandsaw, because you needed an excuse to buy one.

After that we just did some minor splicing to get the on/off control wire from the dashboard into the maxifuse harness:

Everything just bolts together after that and looks fairly correct.

While it still needs some hardcore testing, the long and the short of it is that this car again has the ability to charge its battery and is hopefully slightly less flammable :pray:.

Today, we also installed RockAuto wiper blades and high beams, only to find out that our existing high beams were just fine. The jury is still out on whether there is some problem with the car/headlight switch or if we just don't know how to engage high beams on this car.

Considering it has light-sensor-based automatic high beams using a very complicated series of switches on the rear-view mirror, it might just be that we are too primitive to operate such a slice of the future.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 20, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's a religious obligation.

Rustafarian?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You can get a 1G alt up to 100A fyi. the 2G is the fireball....and generally found on mid 80s ford cars on up. Trucks typically kept the 1G till much much later.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It was probably a 2G then. That said, it's the same one as off a bricknose (albeit clocked differently) since that was our first thought for swap bait.

The Lincoln forums are pretty adamant that this thing catches fire a lot, but I feel like that is just an "all Fords thing."

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah its a ford thing. theres also "large case" and "small case". My piece of poo poo has a 1G 100A big case that originally had a 12GA wire feeding two batteries... yea bout' that fire hazard. 80s ford wiring sucks asssssss. Good on you for fusing it too. Ford didnt know what big fuses or relays are.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Here's another possible contender: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1984-pontiac-fiero-se-2m4-coupe-2-door/1247634657?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Spring Lake is amazingly close to where I'll be spending around 2 weeks of May.

My rental from YEG for my May-in-Alberta is going to cost about as much as this car. I wonder if I can get work to pay for this, instead...

Seriously, though, if anyone is actually contemplating this I will be in that area from about the 8th to the 21st of May and I could easily go check it out in person. I'll also be driving right past it on the 1st and I could try to find it and take some pictures / talk to the seller.

Also, I'm going to flake out of the actual trip now - maybe next year.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man, I dunno. Field rescue usually means massive frame rot. It might accordian a bitch the first time someone takes it over a speed bump.

:argh: Execuuuuudooooorkk :argh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Man, I dunno. Field rescue usually means massive frame rot. It might accordian a bitch the first time someone takes it over a speed bump.

Didn't we just field rescue a loving Lincoln?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Didn't we just field rescue a loving Lincoln?

Yeah but the frame rails are all 1/4" thick box section on that fatass panther.

If anything a little frame rot is necessary as weight reduction.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

$400 Integra that only needs headlights and a vacuum fix.. which could either mean a vacuum leak at the engine or to clean up the apparent murder scene or pant-making GBS threads on the drivers seat.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...gationFlag=true

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
There's definitely a story to that driver's seat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Worth fixing, but I'd bring a junkyard EF Civic seat or a very thick blanket with me to the purchase...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

:argh: Execuuuuudooooorkk :argh:

:ohdear:

It's been a while since I last pissed off a stranger over the internet. Sorry!

As mayor, do you have the ability to ban me from your town? I need to update my C.V. anyways, might be good to put a little conversation piece into it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

:ohdear:

It's been a while since I last pissed off a stranger over the internet. Sorry!

As mayor, do you have the ability to ban me from your town? I need to update my C.V. anyways, might be good to put a little conversation piece into it.

Probably not, but I could invite you to be a keynote speaker at some town meeting that you could flake on.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Being a keynote speaker counts as work, so I could get that paid for. Plus, it would actually be a pretty high priority because everybody is talking about doing more "community outreach".

How many peatlands (bogs, fens, other wetlands) are in your municipality? How many peat extraction or processing facilities are close to the 2TM2T route?

EDIT: This Map (PDF) tells me there are probably a few in both places.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 18, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

Being a keynote speaker counts as work, so I could get that paid for. Plus, it would actually be a pretty high priority because everybody is talking about doing more "community outreach".

How many peatlands (bogs, fens, other wetlands) are in your municipality? How many peat extraction or processing facilities are close to the 2TM2T route?

EDIT: This Map (PDF) tells me there are probably a few in both places.

There's a huge bog/wetland/slough in my backyard and the neighbor's place, does that count?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Probably yes. This is pretty far off-topic for this thread, but I would actually be interested in having a look at your wetland sometime. It seems I have a professional reason to attend the next ABAI gathering.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Oh look, more fodder:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/strathcona-county/1969-corvette-350/1256126850?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1973-pontiac-le-mans-gt/1256173113?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
That LeMans looks loving good.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Probably yes. This is pretty far off-topic for this thread, but I would actually be interested in having a look at your wetland sometime. It seems I have a professional reason to attend the next ABAI gathering.

Isn't this the slough that we just poured a shitload of asbestos dust into respected the natural beauty of after attempting to wheel the Town Car through it not violating the wishes of conservationists?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

No that was definitely not along my garage foundation.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1954-plymouth-other-sedan/1255059342?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

:getin:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo! Call up Freiburger and Finnegan, get Roadkill onto this trip!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

A line lock is a safety item right? Cause I mean if we took it out we'd have no brakes :ohdear:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

A line lock is a safety item right? Cause I mean if we took it out we'd have no brakes :ohdear:

I'll allow it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

So it's looking like I might be running the exhibition class on a Honda Grom unless my wife can get the time off, then we'll be taking the fat Mustang.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

:frogsiren: turn your volume down :frogsiren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEGCYCdUfUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0wIq93KSE

im going to bed

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 21, 2017

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

gently caress yessssssss. That thing is excellent.

For anyone else wishing to compete: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1977-el-camino-has-to-go/1250073462?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

gently caress yessssssss. That thing is excellent.

For anyone else wishing to compete: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1977-el-camino-has-to-go/1250073462?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Has to go.... ON A WYKKED SICK ADVENTURE

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm pretty sure the black plague started when some guy bought an el camino that has been sitting for 25 years without a drivers side window and then drove it for 4 days.

I don't have any history books handy to verify, but i'm pretty sure that's how it started.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I'm pretty sure the black plague started when some guy bought an el camino that has been sitting for 25 years without a drivers side window and then drove it for 4 days.

I don't have any history books handy to verify, but i'm pretty sure that's how it started.

So it'll be marginally worse than the Town Car.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Sure, but different time, different place.

There are no rats in Alberta. :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

95% chance this is an irredeemable wreck
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1987-ford-merkur-xr4ti/1252418214?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

and someone should throw a $1K offer to this guy
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1992-daihatsu-mira-rv4-mini-suv-awd-turbo-rhd/1241496356?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

I've thought about that Mira every day since it was posted.

Might be a good engine swap for a Justy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I poly-filled the motor mounts last Sunday (shut up I don't do well with sticky goopy things):

Swap Day Tuesday I woke up with a pretty nasty cold. Engine was in by lunch as planned, interestingly the firewall clearance is poo poo on the Lima in a Fox, made dropping it in a little tricky.

Important work of the day done, I alternated between replacing drag shocks with junkyard OEMs, starting work on the fuel system for the carb-EFI swap and trying not to barf:

While my teammate contemplated why Ford contracted out their power steering pump, bracket and pulley designs to Satan:

And practiced some kinda witchcraft to weld the crack in the cast manifold.

Wednesday was a junkyard day. The transmission that came with the is an A4LD, and our gracious host (a former Ford master tech) minced no words explaining all the ways it is an abomination and a plague unto this earth. More importantly, the A4LD is absurdly long for such a tiny 4 speed, about 6" longer than the previous AOD. So a different driveshaft and a way to move the trans crossmember (along with half a dozen little incidentals) were needed. Driveshaft was easy but some jerk grabbed the only set of appropriate crossmember brackets before we got there, so that problem got solved with a chunk of tube:

(also check dat return line, sheathed with hose because P-clamping it through that hole would have been :effort:)

The Fox platform can (kinda) trace its lineage back to the Pinto, and now that it's got a Pinto engine too it needs a fuel system worthy of the name:

I didn't take any pictures during the wiring process, it was mainly a series of very emphatic conversations between the three of us interspersed with a splice or two hundred and I missed a bunch of it between sleeping in like the lazy gently caress I am and parts runs.

Other pics:
Tasty

Hoosier brand undercoating

...which maybe wasn't all that effective

Well there goes our shot at numbers-matching original paint Barrett-Jackson money (never mind the brown, but this red shows elsewhere as well. Maybe we should sand it to see if we've got a dragon mural too?)

Authentic pick-n-pull paint pen.

We've still got a couple gremlins, mainly related to the ignition module and the wide gaping holes in the wiring diagrams in the back of the Haynes manual (hey if anybody has access to FSM stuff or even alldata/MOD PM me) and a whole bunch of loose ends to tie up but that's the most successful weekend of wrenching I've had in a long rear end time.

• Locked thread