Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The Montreal series was a bigger mismatch. Everyone was predicting a sweep, and a more pronounced one that what people are predicting now. Saying it's very obvious that is dumb as hell, and the 2010 series is a good reason for that. The Capitals outplayed Montreal by a staggering degree, and a goaltending matchup that should have been pretty close turned into a gigantic chasm. There are no series now or in the past 20 years where you should have been that surprised to see an upset, because it takes one goaltender having the series of his life to shift any matchup.

Also the Habs beat the Pens in a similar fashion that year and it was an amazing time to be a Habs fan, up until they burnt down part of the city shat themselves against Philly. I was 5 years old in 93 and so 2010 was definitely the best Habs series I could see in real time and fully grasp what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

:effort:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

:getin:

(the graph seems to be missing the late 3rd period goal)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

other great things include goalie goals, players tripping on a shootout, some nobody getting dressed as a backup, ref getting a puck in the groin, and anthem singers falling over

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Checked through the glass*

I don't know if that's ever happened at the NHL level, but it happened in older versions of NHL videogames I think.

There's the classic Larry Robinson hit where he hits the guy so hard they had to stop the game and nail the boards back in place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKd4HJNSbQg

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

violent sex idiot posted:

i know, we are talking about logan couture the guy whos entire mouth is currently a bowl of soup

Emelin was called out by Thornton and Ryan Malone at distinct points for not being able to take a beating, while Emelin has a metal plate in his head that could re-shatter his orbital bone if he gets into a fight. The self-policing of players they love so much kind of gets weird there when you get into the "well the guy won't get his skull caved in for a hit that was borderline and/or dirty what a pussy" territory where nobody knows how to deal with it.

Punching a dude in the teeth is the only way to keep hockey mans from murdering each other, that's why you can't have visors, apparently.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Emelin on a bottom pairing is probably fine. It's mostly painful to see him get top minutes and a top salary for 3rd pairing performances and judgement. I can't imagine he'd be worse than Nesterov or a major downgrade from Davidson

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

I regret coming back to root for this sorry sack of poorly mismanaged lump of sandpaper character potatoes. Sports fandom is perpetual misery.

we have forgotten the unhealthy regular cynicism mandatory for a realistic Habs fan since the day Julien replaced Therrien. Back to the roots.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Wondering if we're seeing the effect of teams adjusting their strategy to corsi as a stat. Its correlation to success was possibly relevant as long as it was an observe side-effect of some specific type of playing (i.e. good play was a cause of high corsi). The moment you adjust strategy to voluntarily generate more corsi events, you pad the stat without actual related impact on winning.

Jack Han is starting to track the zone entries and exits with and without control of the puck in the rangers series as a metric, and it seems interesting: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/a...ytics-breakdown

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

How else would people skate backwards?

:eyepop:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm fully committed to the PK Subban In Nashville bandwagon now.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

2 losing to 7 is worse than 8 losing to 1, obviously.

if you look at point-based standing, Montreal was 4 losing to 5, which is not flattering, but less bad than 2 losing to 7.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I think the proper idea is to turn the 4 out of 7 into an 8 out of 15 so that we need double the fluke to gently caress up a series

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

An Oilers vs. Senators final would surely go well over the US sports media though

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

get rid of the forward pass and play original hockey

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Not trying to be a homer or anything, but I thought the 76-77 habs were supposed to be the greatest team ever.

Yeah that would have been my reflex too.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/greatest-teams-of-all-time-1967-77-montreal-canadiens posted:

All told, they established 21 NHL records, including a 132-point performance that still stands as the league’s benchmark. Their goal differential of 216 is by far the best in NHL history, 40 ahead of the next-best mark, which was established by the Habs the following season.

They had nine players in the lineup who ultimately made their way to the Hockey Hall of Fame, along with coach Scotty Bowman and GM Sam Pollock. They became one of only two post-expansion teams (the 1970-71 Bruins were the other) to place four players – goalie Ken Dryden, defenseman Robinson, right winger Lafleur and left winger Shutt – on the first all-star team. The league might as well have held its awards ceremony at the Canadiens team banquet, since Lafleur won the Art Ross, Hart and Conn Smythe Trophies, Dryden and Michel Larocque the Vezina, Robinson the Norris and Bowman the Adams.

Had the Rocket Richard Trophy been in existence, Shutt would have taken it on the strength of a 60-goal season that established a record for left wingers at the time. The Selke Trophy was established the next season, when Bob Gainey won his first of four consecutive honors as the league’s best defensive forward.

When you consider Montreal’s dominance that season, you must look at it through the prism of a four-year run in which the Habs won four Stanley Cups and established themselves as arguably the most dominant dynasty in the history of the sport. In those four years, the Canadiens lost just 46 games.

[...]

But when the Canadiens won that season, they won big. They outscored their opponents by an average of almost 5-2 and 21 times that year they bested their opponent by five goals. Sixteen times the margin was six, nine times it was seven and four times they won by eight goals.

I can't think of a more dominant think in their respective era than that one.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm already wrong with Nashville :madmax:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yeah like why won't they get another cup it's been over 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

If someone goes out of their way to insist they work really hard, they don't actually work that hard.

this comment angers the baby boomers in my life

• Locked thread