Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really feel Blackhawks deserve a cup win this year, this drought has gone on too long.

I cleared out some old books off my bookshelf a couple months ago too, and the remaining books don't sit up straight anymore. I think a copy of One Goal IV would fix it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kenny Alberts sucks. I'll grant he can competently report the play and has an inoffensive voice, but has the personality of a rock.

Shoulda used Pat Foley. :v:

NBC's commentary group is garbage, regardless of the sport.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Foley is probably doing the local CSN broadcast. I've noticed Versus/NBC has pulled from some of the eliminated teams' PBP guys for their coverage over the years (Forslund, Peckham, Strader, Sam Rosen one year when the Rags were out, etc.)

Oh, I forgot local broadcasts still happened. For some reason I'd started thinking NBC had exclusive rights to everything.

(I'm getting old, it sucks)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the actual lesson is that hockey is better without any announcers at all. Put mics on the ice and let us hear the foul things players say to each other.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The number of avatars still current 3 years later is pretty funny. Pay lowtax's bills guys!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dooming us to 10 years of Emrick, Edzo, McGuire, and Milbury.

:barf:

And Roenick, forgot about that tool.

:barf: x 2

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ask Martytoof about Ikea.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

titanium posted:

The Xcel Energy center doesnt have any of that old vibe, I think because the tickets are so expensive (probably not compared to Canadian games) it prevents those types of fans from coming anymore.

There's a happy medium in there somewhere, where you don't want tickets too cheap or you get the loud drunks. But you don't want them too expensive or it becomes a prestige thing and the bleachers are filled with yuppies with their nose buried in their phone.

You want the "just right" price where people that appreciate the game fill the arena.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Laviolette making it rain.

https://streamable.com/uqdrp

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would argue that all that tells you is other countries are catching up in skill, not that Canada is getting worse.

Because Europe and the US have definitely been cranking out some really good players in recent times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sticks do break easy, especially once they get dinged up, but you really gotta bend the poo poo out of them to get it to go. I mean, look at the flex they get out of a typical slapshot and they don't immediately snap.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

I can't say I'm surprised Calvert is gonna get a slap on the wrist for what he did last night. loving NHL DOPS.

Can't have the refs/safety committee deciding a series now can we. :downs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

calvert needs to be suspended at least 2 games, not for justice because I know the NHL doesn't care about that, but to trigger the mechanism inside Torts that brings out the demon and make this series a sports entertainment trainwreck

Target: Torts gets $100,000 in fines from the league (and perhaps the FCC) by the end of the series.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NHL could make a zillion dollars if gamecenter offered a ice audio only option.

Well, and got rid of the blackouts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Grandpa, tell me again about the time when you were a kid and the hockey team in the red jerseys scored goals.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bizarre deformity posted:

I wonder if the Hawks will start Darling tomorrow night? Crawford was a dumpster fire last night. Remember how Darling was like kryptonite to the Preds two years ago?

Of course, that was also the season where the Preds were #1 in the League in January and then lost almost every remaining game because they suddenly forgot how to score goals. That was the worst.

What? Crawford is playing fine.

You don't blame your goalie when your forwards get shut out for two games.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kassian is a grumpy boy.

https://streamable.com/kfe0t

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The marketing excuse is the most bullshit reason for not using cages of them all. The most profitable league in north america has cages in front of every player's face when they're on the field and they somehow manage to market the gently caress out of their athletes just fine.

It's so silly that "looking cool" is a more justifiable excuse.

The argument comes down to visibility vs safety. As long as there's a performance advantage to using visors, visors will be what NHLers use. No one cares about safety when they have free access to top shelf painkillers and unlimited access to reconstructive surgery.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously the solution to hockey helmets is to invent deflector shields so players can encase their head in a bubble of invisible energy that prevents all concussions and prevents all pucks from ever inflicting damage.

They can power them with poles sticking up from their back that connect to an electrified grid, bumper car style.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HookShot posted:

The one thing everyone in this thread can agree on.

No, there's two things: Bettman is an idiot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

Yeah I'm not that far from Nashville and I've been meaning to go to a game for years. it seems like an awesome atmosphere.

Nashville was a mausoleum last night until the Preds got their first goal. Then I had to turn the TV down they were so loud.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm okay with the Blackhawks flaming out like a dry fart but c'mon guys, at least make a show of it. Dudes look like they just don't give a poo poo and have already bought plane tickets for their summer vacation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Arvidsson is gonna get paiiiiid in the offseason.

Every time I see his jersey my brain thinks someone left a letter off the front of his name. Like it should be 'davidson' or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They scored a goal at least?

Good work boys, ~$30 million spent on forwards gets you two playoff goals.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

The league's conscious decision to almost completely ease up on stick infractions and interference is one thing I'll never understand. It kills offence and it's not like people consider hooks and slashes to be tough/cool hockey. It just slows things down and sucks the joy out of a lot of games. I'd really love to hear the league's perspective on all that, because it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I think the issue is that stick infractions are pretty subjective when seen in real time at game speed and referees have a storied history of losing their whistles in the playoffs. They don't want a penalty to 'decide a series' or some wishy washy bullshit when we all know the real reason is fans go apeshit for violence and the NHL is happy to let it happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6go7EZ0gog

Sort of.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ban the butterfly, save hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slappy Pappy posted:

That's actually pretty hosed up considering how mangled Couture's mouth and face are right now. Good thing he didn't make contact.

C'mon man, he was born looking like that. Show some consideration.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ban the butterfly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not great either. Didn't deserve a page full of empty quotes.

:corsair:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The game is literally built around "intent to injure." Defense men don't get plastered to the glass every single time they clear the puck because it promotes longevity.

Granted there's a big gap between "ruptured testicle" and "oh gently caress that hit made my shoulders a little sore" but if you want to be super pedantic, it's still an "injury."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's been a long time since we had a debate like this, I miss those old is/isn't a dirty hit threads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Penguins let Crosby try to cure his concussion in a spinny chair designed to make people vomit.

The Ducks have Corey Perry.

The Blues have Brodeur.

The Oilers have Katz.

Nashville has Ribeiro.

The Rangers have Kreider.

Nothing off the top of my head for the Capitals and Sens but I'm sure they've got some controversial skeletons in their closet too.

In short all NHL teams are dirty assholes and should be disbanded immediately for the good of humanity.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's Monday morning, I'm not firing on all cylinders yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Bobby Ryan is a Trump-er, and deleted his Twitter when people found out.

We need a You Can Play movement for republican professional athletes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

all dishonorable nhl players should be forced to commit seppuku at center ice

Is that why Cherry's suit was covered in blood the other day?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My main hope is that any team west of the Mississippi gets eliminated because gently caress game starts after 8pm central.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love OT too, but I am a old fart now and need my sleep. If you wanna play three games worth of hockey in a single day, you should drop the puck at 7pm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

I remember sneaking out of bed to come downstairs and watch the 3OT game between the canucks and flames in 2004 and waking up all normal the next morning. now I start getting tired during the first intermission of a game and overtime is usually the signal for me to go to sleep. getting old stinks, especially in the context of hockey.

For normal games, trick is to nod off as the first intermission starts and tune back in as they do the highlights in the second intermission, and watch the third period. Like you missed nothing!

For playoffs, just complain on forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

I am willing to bet that's noise cancellation magic. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

Yeah, that audio is pretty heavily processed to make the conversation easier to hear.

• Locked thread