Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

i am the bird posted:

What fine colors and logo would you recommend for a privileged man who has never started the playoffs without being able to watch his own team?

This is just my two cents, but my plan was to root for Minnesota if Calgary didn't make it as they're a likable franchise and they have some really talented guys and may go far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't that Florida's strategy the year they made the finals?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Paulocaust posted:

Listen, I'm not saying that the ref last night instantly gave the caps a bullshit 5 on 3 to even up the game, tried to call off a goal for a "player being in the crease" like it was 1997 and didn't give the Leafs a single PP after the first 5 minutes because he has an inherent bias or was paid off.

I'm explicitly NOT saying that.

The trip was blatant. Suck it up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Habibi posted:

I can't recall the specific game, but I was at one of the Sharks/Avs playoff games in the early 2000s that the Sharks lost pretty handily, and there was a solitary Avs fan in our section who would stand up, doff his hat to reveal a Getzlafesque head of hair, and take a bow after each Colorado goal. The third time this happened, a handful of dudes got the entire section chanting "ROOOO-GAAAAAAINE" at him. Does that count?

Nice. That's how you gently caress with opposing team fans without being a violent shithead.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I have never rooted for the Leafs so hard in my life. gently caress Chris Brown. I wonder if the Leafs twitter is taking crazy abuse like some people have for tweeting negative stuff about Brown's abusive behaviour.

Schlesische posted:

They're totally getting swept by the Ducks again, hth.

(For some bizarro reason they really struggle against the Ducks and have done so for quite a while. I'd say they need more shitheads and sandpaper but that might be because I want them to purchase Montreal's grit and sandpaper.)

We need either better goaltending or better defence to stop their star players. Getzlaf in particular seems to dominate against Calgary. He scored the game winner in GM2 and had 2 points in game 1 (and scoered the firts goal of the series in GM 1).

Damnation. I feel like Calgary really isn't that far from being good, we just need that push that a new acquisition could offer.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 16, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Call Your Grandma posted:

You can tell who the playoff posters are when people start blaming things on Toronto's awful goaltending. Andersen's been great all year.

He started out really poorly, actually. And at least one of the goals he let in during Game 1 was soft as gently caress (the first one wasn't his fault, though).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

MAF has 375 career wins and 2 cups.

Chris Osgood has 401 wins and 3 cups, nobody would confuse him for a good goalie. In fact, that's basically what Fleury is: a present-day Osgood.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Plus Corson, Hawerchuk, and Courtnall. I think that team failed because their goaltending wasn't so hot (Fuhr, a washed up Jon Casey and Bruce Racine). Injuries slowed them down somewhat, also.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Even if you think Polak sucks, and he kinda does, the Leafs sure as poo poo don't have the depth to replace him. But if that guy seriously thinks Gardiner is worse than Polak, he's an idiot.

Then again, he does work for the Sun.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Even if the Caps rally, the Leafs would have to get smoked like 8-0 in all 3 wins for them to have any shame about losing at this point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kilza posted:

Flames are one game away from being eliminated despite the refs best efforts to give them tonight's game. :toot:

Also the fact the Flames fans are whining about the refs when the only reason the Ducks didn't beat the Flames in regulation was because of the refs is amazing.

Late edit: Also the Ducks 3rd goal was fine. Thompson's stick looked to be at the crossbar level for me, which by the rulebook itself means it's good.

The Ducks kept getting penalized last night because Korbinian Holzer is terrible but keeps getting minutes, not because of some grand conspiracy. You've also been on something like 15 PP's in 3 games, maybe you keep getting penalized because your team is mediocre and can't stop Monahan. If you need OT to polish a team full of young guys who haven't peaked like Calgary, with that many PP's, the problem isn't the refs. Win with some grace, dude.

Like the league or the refs give a gently caress who advances in this series.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 18, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I like teammates standing up for teammates. Jared Boll holding Jordin Tootoo accountable when he took liberties with Jason Chimera and Jan Hejda in the previous CBJ/NSH game or Matt Calvert taking on Rick Nash after Nash blasted :cop: in his first game back to Columbus. Neither were especially dirty fights, just "You have wronged my fellow hockeyman and now we shall be punchmans for a moment".

I like mic'd up players and coaches and we don't seem to get enough of that.

One dude who has a seat in the front row of a section, causing the people behind him to stand, causing the people behind them to stand, causing a massive wedge of people who have to stand to see the hockey game BECAUSE CHUCKLEFUCK IN THE FRONT ROW CAN'T SIT HIS rear end DOWN.

Steve Moore probably disagrees.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I guess I should've clarified there's a line between what I described (in which nobody gets anything beyond a scrape or sore knuckles, which I'm OK with) and somebody getting run like Steve Moore or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ArNAPdR6w

...which isn't cool at all.

He loving hit him with a Lariat!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Golden Man posted:

The sad thing about being an old hockey fan is theres no video of the sickest poo poo from forever ago like when Steve Smith speared some flame so hard it ruptured his spleen

I prefer the video of him scoring on himself accidentally and ruining any chance of his team winning the game and series.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Golden Man posted:

There's a whole chapter about that too and he went all fuckin inspirational and buddhist and poo poo after

It was cool of Gretzky to hand him the cup first the next time they won it, probably meant a lot to Smith.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

myron cope posted:

Is Mark Streit hurt? Or is he healthy scratched?

Also, where is Carl Hagelin? :(

Healthy scratch, which I don't get at all. Like why trade for him if you're gonna do this. Especially when your D corps is the walking drat wounded. He's been scratched all 4 games, too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Pleasantly surprised they went with Hedman instead of Keith/Suter/Weber.

Suter would have been fine, IMO, but agreed on the other two.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kilza posted:

Man, seeing the quotes (or gamesmanship) that are coming from the Sharks in this series is fun:
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/855840283212304386

So a 7-0 win in Game 4 wasn't their best? I guess we better expect a 10-0 Sharks win tonight.

Perhaps the implication is that the Oilers played like poo poo? They only had 23SOG, took a load of penalties and went 0/4 on the PP themselves.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

shyduck posted:

I watched every second live of the 5OT Flyers/Pens game in 2000. Ended around 2:30am. I was 16 at the time, so the lack of sleep wasn't as big of a deal going to school that morning. Plus everyone else was tired too, so it worked out.

That summer I went to a hockey camp in Ontario, and Ron Tugnutt, the Pens goalie in that series was one of the guests. We had a Q&A with him, and I asked a question that to this day, I still kinda cringe at. With a stupid grin on my face and my Flyers hat on my head, I asked him:

"What was it like to play five overtimes and lose?"

There were laughs, groans, and an "ooooooooh" from one of the camp directors. He laughed it off, or at least did a good job doing so, then went on to discuss playing in that game and whatnot. He autographed a Blue Jackets pennant for me, as they just joined the league and he was I believe was their first goalie. He thought the pennant was cool.

So yeah, Ron Tugnutt is a good dude.

Underrated goalie too, IMO.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

I would be thoroughly pleased with six of the eight remaining teams winning the Cup. I would find it irksome but still kinda neat if the Ducks won. I would absolutely hate it if the Penguins won.

Penguins/Ducks final coming up.

I want Predators vs the Sens, but that seems wildly unlikely.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Don't you have to suit up for at least one playoff contest?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's sweet that they think Calgary had a shot. I mean the games were close but winning in 6 would have been sorta impressive. I also didn't know Adnan Virk worked for ESPN.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So this happened last night

https://twitter.com/StLouisBlues/status/857411247712718848

Guy who made original comment backpedaled of course

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also the next decent bodycheck Letang takes could end his career. Subban's missed 42 games in 8 seasons.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

The tweeting that goes on when the Cards lose in the playoffs is spectacular.

poo poo, they dogpiled Dexter Fowler, AFTER HE SIGNED WITH THEM, because he spoke out about a police brutality case.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not surprisingly, Eric Staal has a concussion from his scary tumble into the boards

https://www.nhl.com/news/wild-eric-staal-feels-better-after-concussion/c-289083412

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Either way, neither of them is Adam Larsson good.

He's worth at least one Taylor Hall!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zeeman posted:

Maybe this will get Melnyk to cut his losses and sell the team (please)

You say this but then he'll end up selling to like, Brian Mulroney or something

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Seems like this thread wants the Preds almost universally if their team has been eliminated.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

The 95-96 Red Wings had 131 points in a time before the shootout. That's one off the record set by the 76-77 Canadiens.

They also narrowly avoided getting eliminated by St.Louis and needed 6 games to dust off 8th seed WInnpeg, and they didn't even make the cup finals.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, full stop, if you didn't win the cup, you ain't in the argument.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schlesische posted:

For real, the question of best team ever ever is between the ?76-77? Montreal Canadiens, one of those ridiculous mid-80s Oilers teams and the 01-02 Red Wings.

For the Oilers, I say it's the 83-84 squad. NHL team record for goals. Only 4 losses in the playoffs total, 3 of which were to a very game and motivated Flames team. 119 pts in the season standings. 3 players in the top 10 scoring. Win the Conn Smythe, Ross, Hart, Lester B.Pearson, and Clarence Campbell Trophy (they'd have won the President's Trophy but it wasn't a thing back then), and the Cup, natch. Oh, and Gretzky's 51 point scoring streak, and his 4th higest pt total. Coffey scores 40 goals, and is one of 4 40 goal scorers on the team, 3 of whom score more than 50. Glenn Anderson falls one point short of giving them 5 100 point guys.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 9, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schlesische posted:

This is the point where it's semantics. You can't really compare through eras.
I don't think the 00-01 Avalanche team or the 01-02 Red Wings team beats the 76-77 Habs team if it was played like they played in the 70s. Likewise, I don't think some of those ridiculous mid-80s Oilers teams, that Isles dynasty or the Habs team beats either the 01 Avs or the 02 Wings if they play in 01 or 02.

Yeah if those 80's Oilers team have a glaring weakness it's that their goaltending is the shits. I think Grant Fuhr is the most overrated goalie ever, quite possibly.

To be fair, goaltending in the 80's in general sucked, there's a reason the Habs won 2 cups with Roy, his numbers may seem average by today's standards but back then he was considered elite. His #'s in Colorado even blow his Montreal #'s sky high.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 9, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

Wade Belak was a fairly high profile guy. I didn't even know that Montador had retired, much less died, until I'd read about it.

Belak is nowhere close to as big of a star as some of the NFL guys who have had their lives ruined or even ended by CTE, though. People like Junior Seau, Mike Webster, Pat WIllis....they were all Pro Bowlers, and were greatly affected by CTE. Plus there have been stories in the AP of High School football players committing suicide because of it.

Hockey players need somebody of like, Messier magnitude to step forward and it seems unlikely right now.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Grant Fuhr worked because the Oilers could always outscore the other team, no matter how many they gave up

The 01 Avalanche were not noticebly different than the 02 squad that lost to the Wings

Oh most, certainly. But I think he might be the least deserving Vezina winner ever. Of the 12 goalies who got Vezina votes, he had the 2nd worse SV% and 3rd worse GAA. And he not only won but ran away with it because he won 40 games.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Sure, if PK wins the Conn Smythe.

Co-signed, I'd be so happy for the guy if that happened. Also, gently caress the Habs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

PAS: do you take a 2017 Stanley Cup if it somehow convinces management for whatever inconceivably stupid, albeit somewhat merited, reason to keep MAF and almost certainly lead Vegas to pick Murray?

This, of course, assumes MAF continues in this inexplicable God Mode he's found for another eight wins in which the Pens do just enough to win and let him backstop the rest.

He seems to come up big for them when they need him, I think they take it. Plus, winnin' a cup is fuckin' sweet. Plus it's 2 more seasons after this. that's not that long and he'll be 34 by then. Pittsburgh should draft a goalie in the first few rounds if they don't already have a prospect kickin' around the NHL though, if Murray's about to be goneski.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I don't know if I'd group Lidstrom or Chelios with Kessel. Granted I was much younger when I watched Lidstrom and Chelios so I could be totally off base, but I don't remember either of them being unusually physical in either direction. Not throwing big hitz all the time, but definitely not totally contact-averse either.

Kessel is kind of a special snowflake in terms of how much he avoids contact. And so long as he can do that while keeping his scoring touch and injury-free streak, I'll take his "soft" play all day every day.

This is a good opinion. "Grit" is the most overrated quality in professional sports. Toughness is a good thing, sure, but when a perceived lack of it causes you to make a move that sets your franchise back a few years like it did with the Leafs, you value it too much.

Also Re: Chelios: He was definitely an aggressive dude in his younger years (ask Brian Propp), but he stepped it back significantly as he aged. Dude went form having 200 Pim's regularly to rarely clearing 100. Probably a smart call.

• Locked thread