Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

flakeloaf posted:

Crosby might not have seen the line change but the guy who went over the boards to replace him sure as poo poo did because he was there.

In my eyes the 5 on 4 interference call (which led to the 5 on 3 on a good high sticking call that wouldn't have happened if an awful missed crosscheck from Malkin had been called) was worse because Pageau wouldn't have been interfered with if the linesman had gotten out of the way. There was a good-sized spot between the defenseman and the boards for him to squeak through, but there was an official in it.

That wasn't even "let them play", that was "let the game get completely out of hand", after which every call becomes "oh you let that go but you're calling this?" and there's no winning there.

It's a really difficult problem to deal with and it's not helped by the guidance the refs get for the playoffs. You don't want to be deciding things but every ref from novice to the pros has a hard time interpreting "don't be the decider" and " call what happens and don't forget it's the players who decide to break the rules"

The other thing that happens is that the players get dirtier in the playoffs regardless of what gets called so if the refs called the exact same standard as in regular season you'd never see even strength hockey until the players adjusted and then you'd have complaints that the refs are stifling the game. Maybe that's ok but these guys are specifically coached to change their standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

shyduck posted:

Hoffman's trying to squirt it into Crosby's glove. Super dick move but clever

This play was neither dangerous nor obstructive so no ref ever is going to call a penalty for this

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Tune in tomorrow night when someone gets two for spitting on the ice during a line change.

I repeat my assertion - no ref is ever going to call that

Maybe if the guy stood up and blasted him right in the face

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

xzzy posted:

My wife and I got a kitten recently, she's white with some black stripes. I legit spent time trying to fit a Tim Peel joke into her name but couldn't pull it off.

So I just call her "stripes."

Tabby Peel

Or Bill McKitty

Don Catharsky

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Mutt Marner
Auston Mutthews
Fido Andersen
Woofy Nylander
Jake GardinDog

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

LumpyGumby posted:

Also Bark Savard and Mutt Cooke.

If it's a big stupid dog with no redeeming value you could call it Mutt Fartin

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I like stories like that which provide insight to the expansion teams which entered the league around the same time as the CBJ. The Preds have a mix of a strong on-ice product and corny antics unlike anything in the league and it's interesting to watch; it's what I'm hoping the CBJ have a chance to be as long as Jarmo/Torts/Ohio sports team curses don't gently caress it up, but there's no way we (as fans) can top Smashville even if the team gets that far.

That rules.

I can't tell whether to laugh with or at that. We did that in high school. :lol:

All they need is "CLOWN BOX" on big pieces of posterboard behind the visiting team's penalty box as the Dayton Bombers used to do and we'll have gone full corny.

I would pay for this and I'm not even a preds fan

Verman posted:

Finally, someone with a head/body ratio equivalent to Phil "Phil my body full of hot dogs" Kessel.

Consistent personality too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Pittsburgh Penguins are going to win the Stanley Cup.

I...

Can't argue with this

I'd like Nashville to though

• Locked thread