Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A two-way joke. Or a "Bobby Ryan", as we call those here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sample.... sizes?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/3rdPeriodSuits/status/860961840804900864

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DJExile posted:

Baseball goes so far out of its way to not only quash anyone having a personality that they're at the point where if you show even a shred of one, you're getting a fastball up to your head.

E: because UNWRITTEN RULES

Just Manny Being Manny.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

4 can be "They play fast and exciting hockey"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

They could both be right.
"Standard stuff" is "fuckall", so yeah I'm going with this.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

iospace posted:

The thing is, the reason the NFL drew all the concussion poo poo is because A. it's by and large the most popular league in the US, and B. a string of high profile former player suicides involving the after affects. By comparison, the NHL is the 4th most popular league and only one player has died young with CTE, that being Boogaard.

Wade Belak was a fairly high profile guy. I didn't even know that Montador had retired, much less died, until I'd read about it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

T-Bone posted:

are we taking into account the 100% factual refereeing/bettman conspiracy? because if so they barely beat the Devils with it

Devils wouldn't play so well after game 1 when Stevens throws an ordinary-for-2000 check and gets himself kicked out of the league forever.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Belak is nowhere close to as big of a star as some of the NFL guys who have had their lives ruined or even ended by CTE, though. People like Junior Seau, Mike Webster, Pat WIllis....they were all Pro Bowlers, and were greatly affected by CTE. Plus there have been stories in the AP of High School football players committing suicide because of it.

Proof: I give no shits about football and even I recognize those names as former NFLers.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

This is gonna look great when he tackles some guy to punch him in the face and get thrown out of the game again, creating a three-on-one that gives up the GWG in the process.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

They're called "intangibles" cause they involve guys who never touch the puck.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Barnacle Ryan

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

True Story, guy in my section at Rangers/Sens game 3 yelled "CYCLE" and I almost fell out of my chair laughing

That's awesome and I'm totally using it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DJExile posted:

So plowing headfirst into the boards is totally OK compared to your head bouncing off the ice. Yeah, OK.

Being two-handed in the back of the head knocking you unconscious isn't the causal factor, the brain damage was all the ice's fault.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Liar.

I'm nobody to be telling a WO how to turn out for a colour party, but if I'd shown up unshaven with a bunch of poo poo in my tunic pockets, I'd expect someone to fire me and carry the flag in himself.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/miakhalifa/status/862088453579825153

If this is true we HAVE to get him and Kimothy Walker together.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I thought that if the Sens were to succeed it'd be by by stalling them to death. I was half right.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Xtanstic posted:

Nah Ducks-Sens is the worst

gently caress that once was enough

Flew home from goddamned Afghanistan to find out they'd lost and turned my game 6 ticket into a voucher. Glad nobody pulled anything on us after I got back.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

All Canadian teams winning is unacceptable though because there will be endless fluff articles about how [x] team brought the cup "home". If the Pens can't do it I'd rather see Pk Subban riding through Montreal with it in a cowboy hat and with a cigar in his mouth.

Which is to say "culturally appropriating cowboy regalia and presenting a poor role model for our children with social tobacco use". He'll probably also be showing an unacceptable amount of exuberance by dancing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The Senators likely have the 3rd or 4th smallest hockey fanbase even in Ottawa.

Our fanbase is plenty big, we just don't have people willing to spend the time and money to go out to the Corel Tire Thingy and get stuck in the parking lot for an hour on our way home. Also our city's largest employers make it an ethical violation to receive tickets for free, which I'm guessing isn't a problem for the wall street types who keep getting interviewed about why they're going to MSG in a suit. Can't drive, won't pay, eff it let's just go to a bar or to Ed's place and watch the game there.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not sure the weapons that Pittsburgh and Washington could both bring to the ECF would make me term any of their opponents "lucky", but yeah the way this year's brackets played out is some kinda hosed.

quote:

A: Beard? No. Playoff patches of hair on my face would be more of what it would be.

Add Oshie to my ever-growing list of hockey players who are also probably cool people.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Borrowed from yesterday's GDT

Jordan7hm posted:

Anderson has not been great. He's had 6 great games, but also 6 pretty mediocre games. But he was real good in those great games.

I'm getting Ray Emery flashbacks. When he was on, man was he brilliant but when he was off, yikes could he play some awful hockey. I'd spent the time up till about a week or two ago thinking Anderson was a pretty solid puck handler; has he been using a borrowed stick or something?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

2012 and they'd be a bad example.

Didn't they do really, really well t...

quote:

The Kings also became the second team to eliminate the first, second and third seeds from the playoffs in the same post-season (after the 2003–04 Calgary Flames), as well as the only team to win the Stanley Cup after defeating the first, second and third seeds in sequence. (Darryl Sutter was the head coach of both the 2003–04 Flames and 2011–12 Kings.) They then defeated the New Jersey Devils in the Stanley Cup Finals, becoming the first eighth seed in North American professional sports history to win a championship. They are also one of the few teams to win a championship after never benefitting from home-venue advantage in the post-season. Los Angeles would start every series by winning the first three games, only sweeping the St. Louis Blues.

Jeepers.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

I'd honestly like to know a team's record in Game 7 after trailing 3-1 in a series. I'm assuming someone, somewhere keeps track of such an insane stat.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/playoff-comebacks.cgi

Canucks have done it three times, no other team's done it more than twice.

e: Penguins did it twice, both times against the Caps :spooky:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

They give out the Cup every year it's not that special.

A player like MAF only comes along once in a generation.

Nah. He comes along every April and disappears in July, kinda like easter candy at Shopper's.

Neitherman posted:

So Sens fans, what do YOU expect is going to happen during this series? Is Karlsson's foot going to need to be amputated? Are the Senators going to pull off a huge upset? Or are you prepared for them to be stomped into the dirt as suggested by all the stat comparisons?

Anderson will either be fantastic or he'll merely be okay and then Condon will be "pretty good for Condon". Either way, those absurd forward lines are going to be forever turning over odd-man rushes from the way 3 guys always seem to fit between 2 and 5. You can't do that with those guys and not expect them to fill your net.

Our only hope is MAF forgetting it's the playoffs and turning back into a pumpkin. Or EK remembering that he's Robot Hockey Jesus and winning all by himself.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

Probably too early for the Penguins to be shook but we can always hope.

👏
👏
👏👏👏

The end of the game looked a bit different than the beginning, I'm interested to see what sort of changes they make for game 2.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/bobby-ryan-dear-mom/

Happy Mothers' Day :unsmith:

Is every Players' Tribune article like this?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

What kind of person am I for thinking that was a hosed-up banana at first

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Too bad he didn't consult them on baby names.

vyncemyckmahynn.gif

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sens are going to have to check the manual and find out which button makes your guy shoot.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sullivan did his thing and now it's Boucher's turn.

Lesson 1: loving shoot

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Craig Anderson posted:

I caught an edge. It sucks.

Dude you could've fallen flat on your face and knocked it in with your rear end, wouldn't change the fact that the other 20 guys went almost 20 minutes without shooting.

Sounds like someone's getting frustrated with a system...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I'd love to be as out of shape as Phil Kessel.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know if lazy is the right word. He back checks.

What irritates some people about Kessel is he's soft as hell in the corners. If he gets a puck and is about to get hit, that puck is being thrown away. If it's a 50/50 battle he's frequently going to bail out and let the other guy get it if there's a threat of contact. I don't think it's laziness though so much as self preservation. He doesn't like to get hit at all. It's a weird mentality since obviously 99% of NHLers are not that way, so it stands out a bit.

Phili don't do corners.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/alex_prewitt/status/864473912863850496

JoelJoel posted:

Nashville is cool.

It sounds like a Rocky Horror screening.

Oh, also if you're wondering why Doiron was nominated for GM of the year, consider how brilliant he must look compared to the 2014-2016 version of Bryan Murray.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I'm still really impressed with the way the Nashville organization brought hockey to Tennessee of all places. The Hockey 101 thing, the explanatory headsets, getting country stars on board... the whole thing was a clinic on how to build a brand.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Dirty Burger posted:

Yeah their strategy of trying to win 1-0 against the Penguins last game was a bold one, wonder if he has adjusted The System for tonight

I think tonight he plans to be that team with the 1. That strategy is said to work better than the other thing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Isn't their rink a pain in the rear end to get to?

The game doesn't start for another two hours and the westbound highway (which also serves the kanata suburbs) is already at a crawl. Anyone who's driving from anywhere east of downtown has already left.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

No clue. Looks like the AVGN

AVGNCAAP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

She's good and she doesn't put eleven umlauts on the u in "true patriot love", and she didn't scream at us like Measha Brueggergosman. I've heard worse.

• Locked thread