Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It's now or never for the Caps, this is the best playoff team they've ever built and too many key pieces could walk in the offseason. There is really no excuse not to make it out of the second or even third round to get to the final, it's all mental at this point. The only team that's close to their level right now is Chicago, and they're on a four game losing streak.

Thursday can't come soon enough, I hate this break before the games begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

I am predicting at least one game lost principally to a dumb thing Brooks Orpik does.

Might as well say it, he's going to shove a Toronto player into Holtby.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Capitals will be wearing these shirts based on White Zombie shirts from the 90's.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2017/04/12/the-capitals-new-playoff-shirts-are-next-level-and-a-terry-free-zone/#more-126407

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Is this the most favoured matchup the capitals have had in recent memory? I know they were the 1 seed vs. montreal in the quarterfinals before when they were Halak'd. But I imagine montreal still had a few people feeling they could make a splash.

Literally every single prediction is picking washington at 4-1 or 4-0, which is very obvious. I'm just surprised there's not even a homer wanting to throw toronto a game 6 or game 7 bone.

Toronto has no defense, Caps have top 3? offense and number 1 defense. Austin Matthews might be good enough to steal a single win for his team, but otherwise it's the Caps series to lose. As long as Ovi hits somebody really hard in the first 5 minutes, the rest of the team will settle in and play their game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Just win baby!

Go caps!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Look, Caps haven't played a real game in like 5-6 days, they thrive on momentum and this was like coming off a bye week. Add in all the pressure of their past demons and being the president trophy winner and they come out skating and shooting like rear end. The fact that they could settle down and come from behind bodes well.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Nobody is talking about it, but it got pretty ugly between Caps and Leafs fans at Verizon Center last night.

Why the can't Philadelphia fans be that civil.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

That was probably only out of anger because the Metro doesn't run a number of trains to adequately serve the masses looking to go home after the game, the platforms turned into a sea of red spotted with blue, and it looked like the last helicopters out of Saigon when a train showed up because the displays read "RD 6 SHADY GROVE 20", indicating it'd be a Long loving Time until the next train showed up.

Ask me how I know this is a thing.

That's a good day on the D.C. Metro. Wait till a train gets stuck in a tunnel, fills with noxious gas, and the train conductor tells everyone to just sit there and not escape the smoke filled cars.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Nah, the DC metro area has such a transient population that everyone is used to dealing with fans for basically every sports team ever, so you don't usually have fights that get any more serious than mild teasing. It's actually pretty nice in that way.

Unless your in the upper decks at a Redskins game. But yeah Verizon Center fans are cool and good, bring your kids.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DC metro is going to be rear end this Saturday. Nats game at 1PM will let out around 4, just in time for Caps to begin traveling to the Verizon Center. Plus it's tourist season with Spring Breakers visiting the museums and such. Finally, green line will begin single tracking for the infamous "safe track surge" repairs.

And yes, God won't save you should you choose to stand on the left side of the escalator.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

And plenty of other penalties on both sides were ignored.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I wish that regular season Caps would show up to play instead of playoff Caps.

:smithicide:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If Toronto beats the Caps, I'm all aboard the Babcock bandwagon, gently caress the Pens.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Brave prediction: whoever scores first in TOR-WAS tonight wins.

Sounds accurate to me. If the Caps lose, I'm officially going into panick mode.

Hell, I'm probably already there and am in denial.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Barry Trotz is threatening to tweak the lineup tonight which usually means Backstrom and Kuznetsov switch places. I would hope that wouldn't prove necessary, but we'll see. I also suspect that Holtby will be on a short leash tonight, if only to light a fire in the rest of the team as opposed to him deserving of being pulled.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DJExile posted:

I would understand wanting Holtby to maybe get a little rest one game but to drop in Grubauer just for the sake of dropping him in seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It would be a mid game decision if the Leafs go up 2 or 3 goals in a row or something. He's done it plenty of times during the regular season to mixed results. In fact I think that crazy 6-5 win over Toronto was one of them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm gonna go full Kawalimus.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

For the next two games that the Caps play? Yeah...

But when they get bounced, I'm all aboard the Toronto bandwagon for two reasons.

1: They are an awesome team on the rise that will only get better.
2: gently caress the Penguins, somebody has to beat that evil team.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

bewbies posted:

The Wild are gonna come out batshit crazy tonight and probably put up 3 on the Blues in the first but it'll still go to OT.

So in other words they're gonna pull a Caps?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kawalimus posted:

We absolutely can win the series. What kills my interest is that it's very obvious we will get bounced by Pittsburgh in the next round yet AGAIN, assuming that is indeed who we play. So it's like why bother with any of this.

Why bother waiting till round 2 to get bounced?

:smithicide:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm sure that's a secondary reason, but it's mostly cause Ovi doesn't penalty kill and would just sit on the bench anyway.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I want to make a rant post about the referees in the Caps Leafs game tonight, but it's the playoffs and poo poo happens. I'll just enjoy the win and go to sleep instead.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bold prediction:

Whomever wins the Caps/Leafs game tonight will win the privilege of being eliminated by Pittsburgh.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

I honestly have no idea which version of the Washington Capitals hockey club will show up tonight.

Keep putting Schmidty out there and I'll be happy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Normally I'd say Wilson should be punching him in his loving face but we need Tom out of the penalty box now more than ever.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ovi back on ice somehow. :stare:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh god I can finally breath. OT Tic tac goal, Caps up 3-2 in the series.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/Capitals/status/855616601382674432

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

NHL Playoffs 2017: If people could post better, that would be appreciated.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nice series Leafs, don't want anything to do with your team in the future.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps vs Pens game 1 is Thursday at 7:30PM.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Caps vs Pens game 1 is Thursday at 7:30PM.

Oh my loving god we really have to play the loving Penguins in round 2 again.

gently caress EVERYTHING

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Should've got a penalty for taking a dive.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I was watching an arena football game and one of the coolest things I heard was that the refs were mic-ed up during their replay challenge reviews. It was awesome to hear their thoughts while they disected the play. I'd love for the NHL to do this too, but it would never happen.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Can we not redo the Caps/Pens from last year?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Of course Pierre will be at every Caps/Pens game, Crosby needs his fluffer.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

NHL Playoffs 2017: We now go to Pierre McGuire who's down on the ice with Sidney Crosby.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

gently caress the penguins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm joining the "bench Brooks Orpik" camp. Put busted up Alzner in his place.

• Locked thread