Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
gently caress Jaroslav Halak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Cartoon Man posted:

That's a good day on the D.C. Metro. Wait till a train gets stuck in a tunnel, fills with noxious gas, and the train conductor tells everyone to just sit there and not escape the smoke filled cars.

Still better than trying to drive into DC and park.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Am I happy the Caps lost? Of course not, but winning 4 in a row is not easy, especially in the playoffs. I still think they had the better play for the most part and if they keep it up they should win the series. Besides, overtime losses on Easter eve are kind of a thing.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Mind_Taker posted:

I would hope it would mean Nate Schmidt would be in the lineup but lol at the thought of Trotz replacing Brooks Orpik or Karl "iron man" Alzner with anyone no matter how much better they are.

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Backstrom and Kuznetsov flipped. Kuznetsov and Ovechkin seem to benefit from playing with each other.

Schmidt in for one of those two would be the only change I'd want, but it won't happen.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Mind_Taker posted:

It's frustrating because Shattenkirk has been an upgrade on the blueline but since Trotz is keeping Schmidt out of the lineup the overall impact of the trade hasn't been as great as it could have been. It's effectively been Shattenkirk upgrading Schmidt rather than Shattenkirk upgrading Orpik or Alzner.

Also for fucks sake do not play the 4th line more than the 3rd line again. It's nice that Tom Wilson scored a goal but the 4th line has been dogshit while the third line has been pretty good. I'm so sick of Trotz preferring his grinders.

Some team is going to overpay out the rear end for Alzner this summer, and regret it sooner than later.

Beagle line has looked like rear end, and Burakovsky has looked like a world beater with the puck on his stick, so of course Trotz will keep overplaying his grinders instead of letting his talent run free.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

It's a good thing.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I still think the Caps can win this series, other than the 3rd period last night it's been tight the whole way, one or two bounces, maybe Carlson not dropping his stick, puck not bouncing off of Schmidt's face, and we're all talking about how Toronto's kids are happy to have just gotten to the playoffs. But 4 decades watching the Caps, I've seen all sorts of poo poo. Easter Epic, Halak, Adam Oates. They can lose this and it won't be a surprise, this is easily the best team they've ever had and it looks built for a long run, but poo poo happens.

That said, gently caress Toronto, go Caps. I don't have a lot of playoffs left in this body, so loving pull your god drat heads out of your asses and win these loving games.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
So, Nashville fans, were there hints that maybe Trotz wasn't a good coach when he was with the Predators? He's getting clearly out-coached by Babock, which to be fair, would happen to most coaches, but not to this degree. He only iced Ovechkin for 15 minutes in what was the most important game of the season, and it's not like Ovechkin was playing poorly, he was maybe Washington's best forward last night. Until forced by injury to play him he sat his 5th best defensman (and one whose speed most ably matches up to Toronto) in favor of broken rear end Alzner, and old pylon Orpik. He's let Babcock dictate the line matchups, even on home ice. Seemingly the only adjustments he's made were to turtle with the lead last night, which as we can all see, didn't work so well.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
To complete the feeling of existential dread permeating Capitals land, today (and tomorrow) is the 30th anniversary of the Easter Epic.

gently caress Pat LaFontaine.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

HookShot posted:

As someone who's bandwagonning the Caps these playoffs (I apologize), please tell me what the Easter Epic is.

4 OT game seven loss, the longest game 7 in Stanley Cup playoff history. After the Capitals had a 3-1 series lead. The game that started the legend of the Capitals playoff futility.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
To be fair to Trotz, Shattenkirk was rear end last night. Probably his worst game in a Washington uniform. Still no excuse for most of his usage decisions. Too much 4th line, not enough 3rd line, not enough Ovie, Carlson against Toronto's top line.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Slotducks posted:

I'm happy with tonight's result against the Toronto Maple Leafs of Toronto.

Brooks Orpik though... Woof.

Orpik has been on the ice for 50% of Toronto's goals this series.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Schmidt is so superior to Alzner at this point in their respective careers that it's not even funny.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
gently caress Toronto.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Kadri is human poo poo.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

violent sex idiot posted:

he kind of went knee on knee on #88 right before that too. what a poo poo head

He did. He's an rear end.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Jamwad Hilder posted:

gently caress the penguins

Always and forever.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Not happy with the start of the second period or the final score last night, but if the Caps can keep at it like they did after the second Pens goal I think they still have a good shot at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

glynnenstein posted:

I'm not that worried, right now. I mean, yeah, this exact scenario has happened multiple times in years past, but the Caps should come out on top in the end.

https://twitter.com/muneebalamcu/status/857784095388168193

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/857784614349398017

It would help also if the officiating wasn't a garbage fire.

• Locked thread